• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Extraordinary Heroism Additional 10% Retirement

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
Looking to help out a buddy that’s a retired Gunny sergeant.

For anyone that doesn’t know, you can apply for ‘extraordinary heroism’ at retirement, and if approved you get an extra 10% on top of your normal retirement. Obviously it’s gotta be above and beyond, from what I’ve heard dudes with a NAM w/V, or a single air medal with a V haven’t gotten approved.

I know the Navy process, but I’m looking for info, if anyone knows, on how/who a retired Marine can retroactively apply. My buddy got a bronze star with a V and Purple Heart from the same action and I’m trying to help him out to get the extra percentage on his retirement.

If anyone knows the applicable Marine pubs and/or how to look into it, I’d appreciate the help.

insanebikerboy

pilot
None
Contributor

insanebikerboy

pilot
None
Contributor
Interesting. Was not aware one could request this after the fact.

I guess that’s what he and I are trying to figure out. I just learned about it a few months ago and he was unaware the benefit existed when I asked him about it.

HoneyTater

I see that you started this back in 2019. Did you ever figure out the process? I have submitted a package (4 Feb 2021) but inquiries go unanswered. I can't even get a confirmation that they got my package. How long did it take? How did they notify you of the determination?

HoneyTater

Looking to help out a buddy that’s a retired Gunny sergeant.

For anyone that doesn’t know, you can apply for ‘extraordinary heroism’ at retirement, and if approved you get an extra 10% on top of your normal retirement. Obviously it’s gotta be above and beyond, from what I’ve heard dudes with a NAM w/V, or a single air medal with a V haven’t gotten approved.

I know the Navy process, but I’m looking for info, if anyone knows, on how/who a retired Marine can retroactively apply. My buddy got a bronze star with a V and Purple Heart from the same action and I’m trying to help him out to get the extra percentage on his retirement.

If anyone knows the applicable Marine pubs and/or how to look into it, I’d appreciate the help.

8. Under certain circumstances, a Service member may request a determination of entitlement to an additional 10 percent increase of retainer pay due to the performance of extraordinary heroism per reference (a) [10 U.S.C. §8330]. Extraordinary Heroism will be documented in personal awards (i.e. Silver Star, Navy Cross, and or awards that are received with the “V” for Valor attachment, etc.) Ref: MILPERSMAN 1830-040 CH-72, 9 Sep 2020

Ref: SECNAV M-1650.1, Tab 17 of Appendix 2A, 16 Aug 2019
a.(2) Whenever SECNAV personally approves any PMD [Personal Military Decoration] for heroism, an EH determination will be made simultaneously with the award approval.
a.(3) Whenever any PMD for heroism, NM [Navy & Marine Corps Medal] or higher, is approved under delegated authority, the award authority shall forward a copy of the entire award nomination package via the chain of command to the NDBDM [Navy Department Board of Decorations and Medals] for EH determination. The approving authority and intermediate echelon commanders must make an EH [Extraordinary Heroism] recommendation (yes or no) consistent with the guidance in paragraph b below.

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
Does this apply to (widow) spouses?
Without looking at the pub, I am assuming that the spouse is entitled to whatever the member signed up for in the Survivor Benefit Plan (SBP). If there's no SBP, I'd assume no pension. If there is, then whatever that entitlement was will continue under the terms of SBP.

She gets a pension but at the time of my fathers passing I don't believe the 10% valor bonus was available. If she is eligible I would like her to receive it. I appreciate your feedback.

Chris

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
She gets a pension but at the time of my fathers passing I don't believe the 10% valor bonus was available. If she is eligible I would like her to receive it. I appreciate your feedback.

Chris
Just out of curiosity, and looking for a good story, what did your father do that might qualify him for extraordinary heroism?

100_0199.jpg

Plus DFC, ~17 Air Medals, Commendation Medal, Vietnam Meritorious Citation (Gallantry Cross), etc.

He was also a Test Pilot/ ETPS and SOETP Senior Member . He was picked as an Apollo Astronaut. (Booted medical/kidney stones)
Flew over 50 types.

Last edited: