• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NEWS Erickson Aircrane Refurbishing MH-53E's

Malo83

Keep the Faith
Their specialty :cool:
912008-erickson-aircrane-elvis.jpg

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
It is! NAVAIR had few places to go - Erickson has all the talent and engineering capability outside of Sikorsky itself. Every '53 is as valuable as gold especially given the mishap and combat attrition. These are High impact, High value airframes.

ChuckMK23

pilot
"Toys For Sheriff's" - in the same vain as the US department of Education standing up a SWAT team. The sheer size of La County's fleet borders on absurd - Super Puma's? I'm surprised the voters are OK with this.

http://www.helis.com/database/sqd/1402/

Last edited:

CAMike

None
Contributor
"Toys For Sheriff's" - in the same vain as the US department of Education standing up a SWAT team. The sheer size of La County's fleet borders on absurd - Super Puma's? I'm surprised the voters are OK with this.

http://www.helis.com/database/sqd/1402/

Surely you jest. The "people" that front the money for most movies live in LA County. Same with actors, business leaders and the majority of our countries Trust Fund kids. Only the best for The Angelenos! btw -the LACSO could start a decent sized war with their aircraft. Then again, LA County does have an estimated population of 10M people. Of those 10M, approximately 150,000 are gang members. Membership is spread among roughly 1,300 different gangs. One could argue that the LACSO doesn't has enough of the "right kind" of air support. ;)

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
When considering the size of the LASD aviation fleet (20 helos) keep in mind that LAPD has 20 helos and at least one FW aircraft. They are airborne 24/7. LA County Fire has 10 helos that are primary for SAR as well as fire attack throughout the county. Several other suburbs of LA within LA County have their own law enforcement aviation units. A few smaller suburbs share a helo in something like a consortium. Other cities are covered by neighboring air units on a mutual aid basis and re-pay the responding municipality by the service. So, the vast majority of those 10M citizens live in an incorporated city with airborne law enforcement.

I am all for full employment of helo bubbas. Have had much fun in LE aviation myself. But really? How can LASD justify 20 helicopters, some heavy, when most citizens already have the benefit of airborne LE and LA County Fire has a fleet for SAR? I don't think they can.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
I think the taxpayers deserve to know if operating and maintaining old de-milled Twin Hueys, Sea Kings, Super Pumas, etc is really buying them anything that couldn't be done better with a new Eurocopter/Bell/AW/etc.

I'll give you the heavy lift of a -53 provides a unique ability of heavy lift. But a Sea King? What benefit are you getting there? Being the only people in the world buying spare parts?

CAMike

None
Contributor

Only in LA do you have Law Enforcement "Urban Warfare/Terrorist Drills" complete with professional narrators and movie camera crews.

Makes lunch breaks for downtown cubicle workers more interesting though.

ChuckMK23

pilot
If the H-3's are public use - then likely they are not being operated under FAR's. They may be able to operate them very cheaply with military spares and components flown until inspection shows end of life rather than hard flight hour limits. A number of local police and law enforcement agencies have operated surplus OH-58C's this way for years - really down to fuel and labor.

jmcquate

Contributor
Only in LA do you have Law Enforcement "Urban Warfare/Terrorist Drills" complete with professional narrators and movie camera crews.

Makes lunch breaks for downtown cubicle workers more interesting though.

So the LAPD has a terrorist re-enactment club........

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
If the H-3's are public use - then likely they are not being operated under FAR's. They may be able to operate them very cheaply with military spares and components flown until inspection shows end of life rather than hard flight hour limits. A number of local police and law enforcement agencies have operated surplus OH-58C's this way for years - really down to fuel and labor.
This. ^^^ The Huey's are likely public use as well. But you still, have to feed the beast. Parts are an issue for something like the H-3. Just not many civ operators. More common civ parts for the OH-58. We had two. My agency was looking at a UH-1N for hot and hi rescue. Free from Davis Monthan. But the cost to maintain and fuel the thing made it impractical for us. It appears the Super Puma is replacing the Sea King, so its days are numbered for one reason or another.