• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

EOD/SBU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Steve,

I've got some questions I think only a SWO can answer. So, here we go. My first set of questions have to deal with EOD. It is my understanding that If you get selected for EOD you go to OCS, Dive school, SWO school, do 18 months on board a minehunter, and then go to EOD school. Do you know if this is true or do you usually do more time at sea, and are you even on a minesweeper (I know first hand that needs of the Navy are first priority). My next set of questions have to do with SWCC. If you don't know SWCC is a newer (only by name and organization) carreer field. They are considered Special Warfare and do have officers. It is my understanding that people that get promised BUDs go their straight after OCS (unlike EOD). So, since SWCC training and BUDs training are similar do they get the same deal? Or is this just a job that you have to be a SWO and then one day apply and hope to get accepted? If you have ever heard any info pertaining to these questions I would appreciate it if you would share with the class. Hell, do you know if it is easier just to enlist, get into the community, and then ask for a commission?

Thanks,
Marti

Steve Wilkins

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Marti,

A guy who sat behind me in SWOS was an EOD type and this is the gist I got from him on what his training pipeline was. Looks like you have it down already regarding where you go up to when you report to a ship. I'm not gonna tell you that they won't send you to a minehunter after SWOS (and before EOD school) because I don't know. My buddy in SWOS was being sent to a salvage ship. And if you think about it logically, this makes sense. After SWOS, your primary responsibility once you report to your ship is to qualify as a Surface Warfare Officer. Also, it seems to me that it doesn't make any sense to send you to a minehunter sense you wouldn't have been to EOD school yet. On a salvage ship, you'd at least get some diving in I'm sure (on top of getting your SWO qual). With that said, you are required to have your SWO pin in 18 months. Assigned to a salvage ship, that is PLENTY of time as the systems (combat and engineering) are not that complicated. Rules of the road, navigation, seamanship, honors/courtesies aren't really going to change from ship to ship. Also, I'm willing to bet that the sooner you get your pin, the sooner you'd be off to EOD school. Like I said before, your primary responsibility is to get SWO qual'd. Once that's done, you've served your purpose (barring any manning shortages which is unlikely with the flooding of ensigns the navy is pooring into the SWO community - to ensure adequate department head numbers). So I'm guessing you'd spend about a year getting your quals and some management experience under your belt and then you'd go off for a year to EOD school.

As for SWCC, which is part of the SBU's, or Special Boat Units, there are billets specifically for second tour division officers. However, you have to basically be in the right place at the right time (i.e. your rotating date from your first ship has to match when they need 2nd tour divos in the SBU). They are hard billets to get and are highly competitive. Everyone wants to shoot the guns and play cowboys and Indians. Just be aware of that. As for billets that are there for guys that were/are promised BUD/S, I don't have any info on that one. SBU's do fall under the Special Warfare command, however. Hope this answers your question(s). Take care.

--Steve

marti

Steve,
Thanks for taking the time to clear that up for me. I really appreciate it. -Marti

SWOdogJon

Enlightened follower of the SWOness
SWO to EOD

Marti-
I am currently stationed on a minehunter in Ingleside, and I think I may be able to clear up a few things for you. I am the Supply officer here and the guy I relieve was EOD. It seems that the path for EOD is this. Commissioning source (Academy, NROTC, OCS)-->Diving Officer's School-->SWO tour--->EOD school-->ultimate assignment. There are many, many EOD guys on the minehunter/mine countermeasure ships down here. Some of the EOD candidates do go to Salvage ships. I don't know if any of them go to other classes of ships or not. I myself am looking to lateral transfer, after I get my SWO pin, to EOD. In my case, I would just have to go to Diving Officer's school and then EOD school. That is, if I make it.
I hope I have answered some questions for you.

Steve Wilkins

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
This information I gave above is almost two years old. There is no more SWOS in the traditional sense for new SWO's to attend before their first ship.

Steve Wilkins

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Their ship. They do computer based training combined with hands-on. It is integrated with their SWO PQS for qualifications.

Status
Not open for further replies.