• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Enlisted to USNA

wang1234

Hey everyone, i'm an AME2 in the navy with under 3 years. Start application process like a month ago and I was wondering if anyone on here who has experience with prior enlisted applications could shed some light on some very specific questions of mine as far as the application runs. I'd be much appreciated.

JBM

Gainfully Employeed
None
There are plenty on here who may be able to help. What specifically are you asking? I’m sure with that information someone will be able to point you in the right direction.

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
Did 5 months in admissions - not specifically prior enlisted - but what ya got, I might be able to help. Be advised if I don't respond for a few days it's because I am about to get crushed by bad weather.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Couple guys here went enlisted to USNA. Hope they can help out.

wang1234

Did 5 months in admissions - not specifically prior enlisted - but what ya got, I might be able to help. Be advised if I don't respond for a few days it's because I am about to get crushed by bad weather.
Thanks for the reply and hope you can get through the bad weather. I'm hitting 23 next Nov so it will be my first last shot into USNA. My SAT score is 1340(verbal:570, math:770) and have a GPA of 3.5 and several varsity in high school. Took several college classes like math and computer science and got like 30+ credit while in active duty. Getting my CO's endorsement and two officers(one O4, one undecided) now. I just want to wonder what's my chances into academy based on your past admission experience. What i can work on to make more competitive? Thank you very much!

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
Thanks for the reply and hope you can get through the bad weather. I'm hitting 23 next Nov so it will be my first last shot into USNA. My SAT score is 1340(verbal:570, math:770) and have a GPA of 3.5 and several varsity in high school. Took several college classes like math and computer science and got like 30+ credit while in active duty. Getting my CO's endorsement and two officers(one O4, one undecided) now. I just want to wonder what's my chances into academy based on your past admission experience. What i can work on to make more competitive? Thank you very much!

I’m pretty sure they don’t fill every slot to the academy that is set aside for prior enlisted, some that apply and get accepted get routed though NAPS first.

They look at the ‘whole person’ concept, so the fact that you’ve taken classes on your own, and I assume you’ll get good recommendations, is a good thing. A 1340 SAT is pretty good, I think the min score is something like 1050 so you’re well above that.

I believe the deadline for applications is the end of December so to improve your package between now and then, maybe retake the SAT if you’re confident you can score higher. If there’s any extracurricular, volunteer, etc, that you’ve done include that.

If you don’t apply the odds are zero. Worst they can do is say no.

wang1234

There are plenty on here who may be able to help. What specifically are you asking? I’m sure with that information someone will be able to point you in the right direction.
Thanks for your reply. Right now i'm wondering if enlisted needs BGO interview beside two NCO's interviews and what's the format requirement for CO endorsement? I asked my NC and admin but they weren't sure. I knew there is a template for it on the fleet checklist but it's not specific.

wang1234

I’m pretty sure they don’t fill every slot to the academy that is set aside for prior enlisted, some that apply and get accepted get routed though NAPS first.

They look at the ‘whole person’ concept, so the fact that you’ve taken classes on your own, and I assume you’ll get good recommendations, is a good thing. A 1340 SAT is pretty good, I think the min score is something like 1050 so you’re well above that.

I believe the deadline for applications is the end of December so to improve your package between now and then, maybe retake the SAT if you’re confident you can score higher. If there’s any extracurricular, volunteer, etc, that you’ve done include that.

If you don’t apply the odds are zero. Worst they can do is say no.
Thanks for your reply. That means a lot to me.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
Thanks for your reply. Right now i'm wondering if enlisted needs BGO interview beside two NCO's interviews and what's the format requirement for CO endorsement? I asked my NC and admin but they weren't sure. I knew there is a template for it on the fleet checklist but it's not specific.

Unless the process has changed, you don’t interview with a BGO. I interviewed with my Senior Chief, Master Chief, then the Skipper.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
No BGO required last I heard. Fact is, most BGOs have nothing to add over interviews from people in your chain of command, and your CO is senior to most BGOs.

Last year 50 Enlisted were admitted, only 4 from USMC. Looking back over the years, it runs from 50-75.

Last cycle middle 50th percentile in verbal ran in the range of 630-760 and 620-760 for math. That is the entire class. I expect they give the guys in the fleet a bit of a break. Your math score is very good. Still, I'd retake the SAT, or try the ACT. The test are different. They will take the best score in any of the categories and mix between tests regardless of when you took it. You can't lose by retaking. Since you have a 770 in math, study up for the verbal and don't sweat the math. Gamesmanship ;) .

Good luck. Always love it when we grow our own.

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
Basically what the others have said. Don't be afraid to call admissions directly either - the are there to do their job and want the best candidates, so if you have any questions -ask them. Update your app as you get more accolades if you get them.

wang1234

No BGO required last I heard. Fact is, most BGOs have nothing to add over interviews from people in your chain of command, and your CO is senior to most BGOs.

Last year 50 Enlisted were admitted, only 4 from USMC. Looking back over the years, it runs from 50-75.

Last cycle middle 50th percentile in verbal ran in the range of 630-760 and 620-760 for math. That is the entire class. I expect they give the guys in the fleet a bit of a break. Your math score is very good. Still, I'd retake the SAT, or try the ACT. The test are different. They will take the best score in any of the categories and mix between tests regardless of when you took it. You can't lose by retaking. Since you have a 770 in math, study up for the verbal and don't sweat the math. Gamesmanship ;) .

Good luck. Always love it when we grow our own.
Thanks for your reply and it helps me a lot. I knew 7 of 50 were directly from fleet and I'm hitting 23 next Nov so i'm looking for a direct appointment. Reading has always been my headache since moved to the USA but i will try to get that verbal up. Register another test in DEC. Wish me luck lol.

wang1234

There are 170 seats for USN/USMC AD applicants every year, and I doubt they’ve ever been completely filled. @wink is right about SAT vs ACT and retaking to avoid the dreaded rookie numbers. You get one of each for free at the navy college office, and you get reimbursed for one (maybe two?) more of each at national testing centers. https://www.navycollege.navy.mil/information-for-sailors/college-entrance-exams.htm
Thanks for your reply. Already registered another one in DEC.