• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Enlisted to OCS Route

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bserton

I am applying to OCS now. If I do not get in, I plan on enlisting and applying after that. Does that seem like a logical progression if one does not get accepted to OCS? Is there something else I can do besides enlist if I do not get in? Just wanted top get a second or third opinion.

slasher

OCC 186 Bound
many people don't get in on their first go-round. If rejected, improve your package, e.g. comm service, up your gpa, improve prt score, etc and then reapply. and do it again. the boards like to see that perseverance.

enlisting is definitely an option, but its the scenic route to be sure. you have to complete boot, then "a" school, and wait till your C.O. knows you well enough to recommend you for OCS. Even then its not a guarantee. check out the enlisted commissioning boards on here-there are plenty of posts on this topic.

I'm in the same damned boat as you. sucks doesn't it?! good luck

Bserton

Let me ask you this. I have a BA and am working full time. My GPA is going to stay where it is. I am definitely looking into doing some comm service and have done in the past. Still there is very little that can change. My test scores are good. Anyone know if the board would favor and enlisted man over a civilian with the same type of records? I know my questions are tough to get a real answer on.

AG7412

Anyone know if the board would favor and enlisted man over a civilian with the same type of records?

NO. It is on your quals, merits, etc not on enlisted vs civ.

geerst

Bserton,

Hello. Your record will be compared against the others at the board, so GPA, degree, ASTB scores, etc, are important. What is also considered are the intangibles. "Will this guy make it to the Fleet?" "Will he quit OCS?" Who knows, but a strong indicator of future success is the fact that you are a prior. You know the Navy, you served successfully beforehand. Now you want to move up. If I had to pick between two identical folks sitting in my office, should I pick the bubba who wants to stay in the Navy for 20 years, or the one who might get out after 4? I want the guy who will stay for 20. Most priors who go officer stay 20. That is a fact.

Submit your package. Take care, OPO

Status
Not open for further replies.