• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

enlisted SEAL to officer

Status
Not open for further replies.

diana1298

hi everyone, my husband is about to get his Trident, he's enlisted, but would maybe like to be an officer after his first deployment or so. He has a bachellors, but unfortunately only a gpa of 2.04....does he even have a chance even if he does well with the teams? everything else about him seems to be perfect except that GPA. What do you think? thanks :)

NuSnake

I would think that SEALs like to see their own move up as officers so they may have specific slots just for them, it would be good to look into that, plus he would be one badass at PT at OCS, talk about being bored while you were there...GEEZ!! hahaha, OCS would be a breeze compared to BUD/S

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"
--Edmund Burke

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
You know, it all just boils down to putting a package in, and giving it a shot. People can say all sorts of things, and give advice, but the board will make the decision. Having the warfare device, the evals, and some strong recommendations work wonders. Plus a good statement as to why the grades were a 2.0 and why you will succeed. Just some thoughts, I say go for it, you won't know if you don't try, regardless of what others say.

airgreg

low bypass axial-flow turbofan with AB driver
pilot
Diana, you might find more SEAL information on this message board:
http://www.socnetcentral.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=37

Just a piece of advice, I would do a lot of reading before posting on that board.
-G

diana1298

thanks for the advice guys. I guess putting in a package at some point would be worth it. He hasnt gone on a deployment yet so he probably wouldnt do it until after that. he's not stupid, he got 12 something on the SAT which is pretty decent-he just didnt really try in college which was stupid. Oh well, live and learn. Well I have actually looked at socnet. never posted there though. well thanks again :)

theblakeness

Charlie dont surf!
pilot
wow congrats to your husband on making it through BUD/S.

When I was in high school I picked up a BUD/S workout manual because I was interested and it was intense. From what I have heard, and i could be wrong, is that for special warfare, getting good recomendations from CO's really helps potential officer candidates, and that enlisted to commissioned is usually preferred because they have field experience.

you know Dick Marcinko was sent to OCS without even having a degree.

knowles206

Diana, I just submitted my SEAL Officer package. They only do the board once maybe twice a year. His team will likely require him to fulfill his 5yr commitment first, as mine did. I suggest to do one platoon and turn in a package just before the end of his deployment.

diana1298

Hi Knowles, well good luck with your package! So you have to wait 5 years until you can submit anything? wow, that's a long time. I dont know if my husband will even want to stay in that long, he's not sure what he wants to do yet...he just wants to get to a team and see what it's like. i've heard officer life in the teams is a bit easier than enlisted life? i'm not sure if this is true or not, but i hear they deal more with paperwork. that's what my husband doesnt want right now-he wants to do the "fun" stuff. So is getting chosen as an officer in the teams really competitve?

kmatthews2

Something else that is possible is either re-doing some of the courses that he did not do well. Or even better, he could try for a master's degree. Congratulations to him on passing the BUD/S!
party_125.gif

Kevin Matthews, MBA
Gonzaga University
Graduate Student

diana1298

thanks, well i guess he could try but i think he would have to go up to the college he went to to try and raise his GPA. Plus being a SEAL I dont really see how he'd have the time. Thanks again.

EODDave

The pastures are greener!
pilot
Super Moderator
Diana,

What team is your husband in? If your on the west coast, I have a good friend in Team 1 that was a prior Enlisted guy and finished OCS in October. If your on the west coast let me know and I'll try and hook you guys up.

Dave

diana1298

hi dave, well thank you very much for the offer, but we're actually going to VA. So east coast it is. But is it really possible to become an officer just by knowing someone?

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
No, I think Dave was just pointing you to someone who had gone through the process and would be able to provide you with first hand knowledge of what it took for them to get a commission out of the teams.

diana1298

oh ok, I figured it wasnt that easy, lol. As of now we dont know any SEALs who went enlisted-officer. We do have a friend who went to U of maryland though and has 2 degrees with a good gpa, but when he talked to a recruiter, the recruiter said he still probably wouldnt make officer. I thought that was odd....

jmt9459

one of my good buddies from OCS and flight school that had a low 2. something and is now flying off carriers. he didn't even have the plus of being prior E. the CO's recommendation carries the most clout with OCS apps. grades help, but the CO is where you make your money. this comes from experience. EOD to Pilot.

Status
Not open for further replies.