• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

enlisted paths to earning a commission?

aerospec

I have a friend from High School who's an HM and he was asking me about paths to earning a commission from the enlisted side. I went to OCS right after college and was never enlisted, so I don't know much about the process for a prior (we had quite a few Mustangs in our class).
I told my friend I don't know much about it but that I'd find out as much as I could.

Some basic questions I had:
-What are the different paths?
-After getting a degree, when would a prior be eligible to put in a package?

I noticed STA-21 was mentioned in the forum and I was going to research more into that. Is there any particular website that would be a great reference?

Also, if there are any priors I could talk to through PM's later that would be awesome. thanks guys!

cyristvirus

STA-21 FY08 College Dude
If your friend has his degree then he would be able to apply to OCS right away. STA-21 supports those who do not have a degree and want to obtain it while attending NROTC.

Your friend should talk to his NC1 or CCC about some options for them.

bb1125

None
Maybe it's just me, but if you're friend thinks he has what it takes to be an officer, maybe he should take the initiative to do his own research. Perhaps starting with OPNAVINST 1420.1A.

utak

As bb1125 said, your buddy should do research on his own, but not just because it shows self-initiative.

It's because if he just relies on an NC or CCC for info, chances are he'll either walk away knowing less then he did before, or he'll walk away with really bad gouge. Both are detrimental to his goal.

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
Maybe it's just me, but if you're friend thinks he has what it takes to be an officer, maybe he should take the initiative to do his own research. Perhaps starting with OPNAVINST 1420.1A.

BB, someone has to tell them where to start . . . that's what I thought this guy was looking for :)

cyristvirus

STA-21 FY08 College Dude
As bb1125 said, your buddy should do research on his own, but not just because it shows self-initiative.

It's because if he just relies on an NC or CCC for info, chances are he'll either walk away knowing less then he did before, or he'll walk away with really bad gouge. Both are detrimental to his goal.

Unfortunately this is also true about NC or CCC :)

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
How about have him talk to the nearest officer and ask them how they received their commission......that is a good way to start and then branch out into what he is interested in.

Cordespc

None
Contributor

Like the NC1 who told me I could apply to Navy OCS and decide to accept a commission in the USMC on graduation? Yeah, those guys are out there.

Your friend should really do his own homework. Not doing so shows a lack of initiative, and the Officers writing his recommendations will be able to tell. Also, your friend's command is not going to serve him up a commissioning program like a plate of sashimi, he'll have to put in the effort. As mentioned, 1420.1A is the best starting point.