• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Enlist to commission

popeye123

so i bombed my astb oar recently..it was my first tome takinf it and i studied my ass off for about 2 weeks. Im planninf to take it again in 3 months and study my ass off from now until then but i was wondering are there any other ways to get a commission?

If i was to enlist, is there a possibility i can apply for commission/ocs later on? Without taking the astb

In the event that i dont score high enough or meet the minimum required score...is there any other way to get a commission without taking the astb/meeting minimum oar score?

I also have another question:
Does nrotc candidates in college also subject to take the astb and hit the minimum score for their rates?

CAMike

None
Contributor
Damn BOY! Your heirogliphic prose leaves me curious. Either DAT or you're a troll! But since it's Christmas Eve, I'll leave your post to the populous here.

If indeed you are prior, I weep for the future. (circa A4s Fo Eva)

Last edited:

popeye123

Damn BOY! Your heirogliphic prose leaves me curious. Either DAT or you're a troll! But since it's Christmas Eve, I'll leave your post to the populous here.

lol sorry i was using my phone while picking up groceries. but nevermind, i'm going to assume there's no way around the astb...

exNavyOffRec

so i bombed my astb oar recently..it was my first tome takinf it and i studied my ass off for about 2 weeks. Im planninf to take it again in 3 months and study my ass off from now until then but i was wondering are there any other ways to get a commission?

If i was to enlist, is there a possibility i can apply for commission/ocs later on? Without taking the astb

In the event that i dont score high enough or meet the minimum required score...is there any other way to get a commission without taking the astb/meeting minimum oar score?

I also have another question:
Does nrotc candidates in college also subject to take the astb and hit the minimum score for their rates?
1. grammar
2. you can't get around the OAR
3. the OAR just opens the door, your GPA/degree/other info gets you selected
4. what is your degree in, what was your GPA, what I found from the people we had that had non qualifying OAR's were their GPA's were often not competitive.

popeye123

i had a BA in political science with a minor in chinese (3.4 GPA) and a AA in business administration (3.3 GPA)
-pi sigma alpha club (honors society)
-awarded an outreach scholarship
-was on the deans list multiple times throughout college
-international students association club

LORS from an employer, a professor and a friend
i think i should also look for an officers LOR...

Renegade One

None
Supposing you found an officer…what could he/she reasonably say in a LOR since (I assume) you're a stranger to him/her? Don't worry about making a "leaflet drop" on the OR…letters from folks who KNOW you and can speak to your talents, skills and motivation are worth much more than a "commissioned stranger's" autograph.

exNavyOffRec

i had a BA in political science with a minor in chinese (3.4 GPA) and a AA in business administration (3.3 GPA)
-pi sigma alpha club (honors society)
-awarded an outreach scholarship
-was on the deans list multiple times throughout college
-international students association club

LORS from an employer, a professor and a friend

once you get an OAR you should have a decent chance at SWO.
get a few more LOR's from employers (if you have had others) or other professors, the one from the friend is pretty much not worth much as it would be expected for them to write something nice, and as far as the officer one don't bother for the reasons R1 said.

KTBQ

Naval Radiator
pilot

Those who live in glass houses should not throw stones...