• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Elk

Sheepdip

Contributor
Nice pics. How did the 308 do that far out? Been going back and fourth between 308 and something with more oomph. Can't decide.

Renegade One

None
Nice pics. How did the 308 do that far out? Been going back and fourth between 308 and something with more oomph. Can't decide.
Don't think you'd need any more "oomph" on the North American Continent. Choose your ammo appropriately.

Africa? I dunno…maybe?

Reactions: E5B

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Don't think you'd need any more "oomph" on the North American Continent. Choose your ammo appropriately.

Africa? I dunno…maybe?

"Oomph" doesn't just mean game stopping power. It can also mean a much more ballistically tolerant bullet at range (which was the question). Something like a 6.5 Creedmore or .260 (or even .300 WM I guess) might technically be a smaller bullet, but it's a potentially better choice for shooting out at range (effect of wind is reduced) while also expanding the Danger Space (good for unknown distance shooting).

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
"Oomph" doesn't just mean game stopping power.
Really? Didn't know it was a defined technical term. While I don't dispute what you said regarding other cartridges and their relative performance, I don't consider that "Oomph". When talking extended ranges, gust stability and bullet performance I refer to "punch". ;) So from my point of view, a .308 would have enough "oomph" for any North American game along with being easily procured and reasonably priced. Now if you want to talk "punch", I'll entertain other opinions. :D

E5B

Lineholder
pilot
Super Moderator
I've taken an Elk, Black bear, several Aoudad, hog and a whitetail....all with my 308. Not once did I feel that I've needed a bigger/faster cartridge. That being said, I spent a tremendous amount of time at the range working up a load for it which built my confidence with it. Longest shot was 702 yards on a hog. Next longest was this elk at 400.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
You have to change barrels from right-handed rifling to left-handed when traveling between the two. :cool:

Only if you're shooting in a hurricane (or typhoon).

Um…Coriolis effect? I know it supposedly affects "shitters"…was less aware that it influences "shooters".

My bathtub/shower in college drained clockwise. Some claimed satanic influences. I just said it was known science.

Seriously though, I think it does actually matter which hemisphere you're shooting in if you going long distance. My anecdotal, non-engineering brain says yes, but I welcome the correction (too lazy to plug it into my Shooter app).

Renegade One

None
Seriously though, I think it does actually matter which hemisphere you're shooting in if you going long distance. My anecdotal, non-engineering brain says yes, but I welcome the correction (too lazy to plug it into my Shooter app).
Interesting postulate…but mark me in the "Nah" column, if you're taking votes, which I assume you're not. TOF of less than a second, etc.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Interesting postulate…but mark me in the "Nah" column, if you're taking votes, which I assume you're not. TOF of less than a second, etc.

Well, the spinning of the Earth does actually matter at longer distances, as the ground is moving underneath the bullet. TOF matters. For example, shooting 175 gr .308 out of my SR-25 to 900 yards takes 1.5 (and change) seconds. Stretch that out to 1500 yards or more with another round (and obviously we're not worried about game now), and it's going to take it awhile to get there.

All that said, I retract my earlier statement. I'm thinking hemisphere doesn't matter, as the Earth is still spinning the same way in either place. Instead latitude would be the issue.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
All that said, I retract my earlier statement. I'm thinking hemisphere doesn't matter, as the Earth is still spinning the same way in either place. Instead latitude would be the issue.

Rats. Well, if you're not going to buy matched sets of northern/southern hemisphere gun barrels, then can I interest you in this deal?

BrooklynBridgeForSale.jpg

PropStop

Kool-Aid free since 2001.
pilot
Contributor

Africa? I dunno…maybe?

Unless you wanted to hunt Bison in Alaska: http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm?adfg=deltabison.weapons

I'd also conjecture that you'd want more gun for going after a Kodiak Grizzly.

I hunt with a 308 and have had no problems killing things, but I've not gone after anything as big as a bison or Kodiak griz. If you're going for straight all around hunting performance, I think the 30.06 is a very good, manageable round that doesn't cost too much and can take down anything in North 'merica. If I do go hunting for Bison, I'll either need to buy a new gun or borrow one from a friend. Probably do the same should I get a Kodiak griz tag.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Rats. Well, if you're not going to buy matched sets of northern/southern hemisphere gun barrels, then can I interest you in this deal?

There might have been some Scotch involved in my first statement, so you gotta hit me up on that bridge at just the right moment.