• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Elk

E5B

Lineholder
pilot
Super Moderator
Before I get to the hunt a little background is in order. 13 years ago I was working for a rancher near Ft Davis doing day work and predator calling. When I graduated college and went back on active duty I had to leave the ranch and move on but the rancher and good friend told me he wanted to be to kill a big elk. At that time we had noticed a substantial elk heard in that area of the Davis Mountains...all free range. Well, fast forward 13 years....I'm finally able to put a trip together during the rut. I find a Marine buddy here in North Carolina to go with me (he had never been to Texas other than a layover and had never killed anything bigger than a duck) and we began our planning months ago. Last week we loaded up my Dodge and set out for a 27 hour drive from coastal NC to Ft Davis Tx. Our plan, while probably not the smartest, was to drive straight through and take turns sleeping to utilize every bit of the small leave window we had. So, we set out at 0600 and made it to Ft Davis at 1400 with a few stops in between. Dog tired, we decided to unpack the pickup and hit the range so we could get to it the next day. On the way to the range the rancher and an outfitter ran into us and decided to go to the range with us. (the outfitter was there scouting for hunts not associated with my hunt, but boy was I lucky he was there) On the way to the range they talked us into doing a little glassing on the way back to the bunkhouse. After the range (now 1530 or so) all four of us find the rim of a canyon and sit down in order to listen for bugle or cow calls. After a solid two and half hours we decide to hit another spot and glassed it for about an hour and just as we were about to leave I spot a bull across a canyon at about 1000 yards from us. The bull was head down grazing so the rancher and my buddy sat down right where they were while me and the outfitter game-planned a stalk. At this point, the sun had just fallen below the horizon and we were working with the last 30 minutes of light. Once we found a good vantage point that would still over concealment the outfitter began working his magic with the calls. The bull immediately perked up but did not come towards us. Instead he ran along the ridge a little high so he could get a good visual on us. I was laying across a rock and had him in my scope the entire time and when he slowed to a walk I put one high in the shoulder and he piled up right there with a rolls down the steep canyon wall. It was completely dark when we made it to him at roughly 2030. We worked on him for several hours and didn't get back to the bunkhouse until 0200 (mind you we've had very little sleep in the past 48 hours). I didn't expect to be finished with my hunt just a few hours into it. The bull scored 340 and was a 7x7. I couldn't be happier. Shot was made with a 308 from 400 yards.
image1047.jpg

image1048.jpg

image1046.jpg

image987.jpg

E5B

Lineholder
pilot
Super Moderator
I also had the opportunity to take an aoudad ram. Shot him at 386 yards with my 308.
image1049.jpg

image1050.jpg

E5B

Lineholder
pilot
Super Moderator
My bud shot his first hog ever using his 270. He shot a dandy of a hog, especially for his first! He was a happy camper! He sent it off to have a shoulder mount done.
image1052.jpg

image1053.jpg

image1054.jpg

E5B

Lineholder
pilot
Super Moderator
My bud also got to take his first ever aoudad! We may have a new Texas resident after this hunt, he is in love with the Davis Mtns.......rightfully so. He is also getting a shoulder mount done.
image1055.jpg

image1056.jpg

image1057.jpg

image1058.jpg

What a great trip. I had more fun watching my bud taking his first animals.....

Pags

N/A
pilot
I'm not a hunter, but those are some impressive kills.

Very beautiful country as well....does the ranch need a program manager? :)

Reactions: E5B

Hozer

Jobu needs a refill!
None
Contributor
Fantastic...shit, I just want to get some Georgia does next month for sausage...
Congrats.

sodajones

Combat Engineer
Great pics. I'm headed on a scouting trip here in AZ this weekend and got drawn for a cow/anterless elk hunt which starts next weekend. I'll be sure to take some pics and post them here.

Renegade One

None
Great pics…looks like some beautiful hunts. I assume you're able to make good use of all the harvested meat?

E5B

Lineholder
pilot
Super Moderator
Good luck soadjones.

Freezer is nearly full. Can't complain. Deer season starts today....

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Took a young bull Elk in AZ last year on last day of my hunt. 6x6, beefy and symmetrical but a small spread. It was after the rut. I was in the woods glassing down hill to a meadow back to a tree. I heard them trotting from behind. The lead big bull passed to my right about 20 feet followed by a smaller one running down hill. They never noticed me, something else had them spooked. By time I mounted my rifle the lead one was into thick ponderosa so I took the smaller one. Shot was about 60 yards, down hill at a good trot. It was a snap shot. Time between seeing them and taking the shot was no more than 4 seconds. Between the run, downhill angle and my average marksmanship, I actually hit him high and right, but severed his spine for an immediate CNS shutdown. Not even a twitch. Not an once of meat sacrificed. Later that day out with my buddies a wolf, with a tracking collar, loped by not more that 40 feet away. Very impressive. Struck out this year. No deer or elk tag.

E5B

Lineholder
pilot
Super Moderator
Nice, wink. Sounds like an amazing hunt. If I get another opportunity it will be my wife or oldest sons turn.

E5B

Lineholder
pilot
Super Moderator
Taxidermist is going to have the Elk shoulder mount complete just after the new year. He said I beat the fall rush. I will post pics when I get it in.