• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Elisted to Officer question

Status
Not open for further replies.

rick21

If I go active duty enlisted, are there other ways of applying to become an officer and hopefully a naval aviator besides the TSA-21 program? I would also like to know if being an only son will hurt my chances of becoming a pilot, specifically jets.

geerst

Mr. Rick,

Going enlisted is one way to ultimately earn a commission. I did so 20 years ago, fresh out of high school, no money for college. I earned my degrees, applied for AOCS, went to flight school, etc.

If you do not have the means or desire to go to college right now, then enlisting is an option. The path to your wings will be longer and harder, but achieveable. Seaman-to-admiral is one of the ways to do it. Another is study via correspondence (almost 100% tuition-free via the Navy), or go to classes at night if you are on shore duty, or take classes on board a ship, etc. If you have a degree, you will apply through BUPERS for a seat at OCS. Going enlisted first will get you to 20 years quicker (retirement), open your eyes to a different side of the Navy (priors, I think, make better officers), and increase your pay by a huge amount when you eventually get commissioned (I earned $1000/month more than my fellow LTs). The decision is yours based upon your unique set of needs and your situation. You make the call. Being an only son is irrelevant.

OPO

geerst

No. Reserve drill time counts toward points for eventual retirement (60 or 62 years of age, I think). Active duty time is different.

OPO

Status
Not open for further replies.