• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

educational benefits

Status
Not open for further replies.

I will be graduating from college soon and I am still trying to decide which branch I should join. I know that I should not focus solely on what a specific branch can offer me, but that I must also consider what I have to offer each specific branch. Nonetheless, I still feel that I should explore all aspects of each branch. That having been said, I want to learn more about the educational benefits each branch has available for officers.

I was told that while the Navy and Army both offer up to $65k in college related financial assistance, only enlisted can take full advantage of these programs. Is this true? Also, what programs are unique to a specific branch? What programs are available during the first 4-6 years as an officer? What is available for career officers? Does any one branch offer more educational benefits than the others? I know it may seem like I’m getting way ahead of myself, but this is one of many factors that I am considering and I just want to know what my options are before I apply to OCSOTS.

chccurd

Theres a lot of opportunties. When you go on your first shore tour, you have the option of applying to the Naval Postgraduate School in Monterey, CA where you can get your masters. The site is http://www.nps.navy.mil/. A lot of the stuff is going to depend on what major you're in right now and what job you choose. I don't know too much about the monetary figures, but one of my friends is a Navy LCDR and is being paid to get his MBA at USD, so I am sure there are plenty of fully-funded opportunities to get your masters. Hope that helps a bit.
-Chris

Keith Nielsen

The Navy requires officers who use the tuition assistance program to be obligated for a minimum of two years upon completion of course. The navy has a program for post-graduate work offered only to officers. This deal gives officers money to complete their graduate degree, and I believe, this is their shore duty assignment. It is a great deal, you just have to get accepted into a program.

WFU2USN

The Mongomery GI Bill is also available to officers who are non-prior service. Basically you pay in $100 a month for 12 months and then can use that money to help pay for graduate school. The current benefit rate for full time education is $985 per month. It's a really good program and you get 36 months of full time benefit when you obligate to the $100/month and serve on active duty for at least 36 months.

Anyone that's non-prior should DEFINITELY sign up for this!!

IS2(SCW)

Thanks for all the helpful info. So if I get into one of these programs, would I have the option of going on educational leave? If I pursue a masters degree, could I take time off work and later compensate the Navy for the time I took to complete the degree?

Status
Not open for further replies.