• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

ECP Lessons Learned

The Chief

Retired
Contributor
I was not by anymeans being negative. I would actually like to see some lessons learned posted on this from the OC's and senior guys for us FY08 Selectees also. We are very wet behind the ears and it definitely wouldn't hurt.

Not a problem. I misread the post.

cyristvirus

STA-21 FY08 College Dude
Also rumor from past applicants (not on AW) is the alternates get picked up by the first done with the 5 conditions first select. Maybe we could confirm that with Pensacola?

I would say that this is somewhat true. I know that last year the number 10 alternate selectee got picked up based on the fact that he/she was the only one to get their fight physical done and letter of acceptance. This year the number 6 got picked up based on the same concept. If you get picked up as an alternate have your flight physical done ASAP!

SkywardET

Contrarian
My package didn't include a lot of the fancier things that some others seem to have included. Here's a breakdown of what I what I focused on and why I think they chose to select me.

Weaknesses:
1) I basically dropped out of college before joining the Navy. Although I got decent grades (with one exception), I skipped an entire semester and the last semester I took were all withdrawn classes.
- Things that shored up the weaknesses: recent NCPACE courses, all three were "A"s; acknowledgment of the dropout and explaining that I was more mature this time around; I included a letter of acceptance to my chosen school as part of my package; high ACT, SAT, and ASTB scores. Also, among the courses that I did take and do well in were Calc I/II (which are actually Calc I through IV in terms of transfer equivalency) and one class of Calculus-based Phsyics.
2) One fairly weak eval. I do not know this weakness was overcome in the boards, but I can only assume that they saw the disconnect between what was written compared to what my ranking was. I can also assume that the board members fully understand the eval system and the sawtooth wave it often becomes.
3) I only had two LOR's. I don't see this as too much of a weakness, but more strong ones would always be welcome. Both were from people I worked under, and both people have been in the Navy for greater than 15 years each.
4) My boards did not include anyone from my target community. I believe this weakness was ameliorated by the fact that anybody examining the timeline would come to the conclusion that it would have been virtually impossible to have someone from the aviation community do boards for a tin can sailor in Pearl Harbor that was deployed for all but two months before the deadline. I believe it was also ameliorated by the content of the board comments.

Strengths:
1) Strong test scores. I didn't know a flap from an aileron until I studied for the ASTB. I bought every study book for the ASTB out there, as well as some other books such as the FAA student handbook and Stick and Rudder.
- Tips: Study! Study for the ACT, the SAT, and the ASTB, and take them all. Don't be cheap; spend money on study books for those tests unless you already have a really strong score in one of the three. Also, take all three of those tests. If you get a low or medium score in one, don't submit it. But if you get a high score, that's just one more reason to select you.
2) Great comments on interviews. My interview comments were far from generic. I went before the board on my ship and they, of course, had only glowing things to say about me. Then I went before the Nomination Review Board in dress whites, while the three others scheduled to do it that day came in utilities with unshined boots and excuses for why they weren't fully ready ("my command just told me about the board today"). As a result of that and me just being myself on the interview and explaining what my views of leadership are, I received comments that were far superior to the generic suggestions listed on the sheets.
- Tips: Play the part. You want to be given the best opportunity for career advancement currently offered in the Navy, so act like you deserve it. Dress for it. Prepare for it. Do your Nomination Review Board early. If you don't like the results, you can study on what you need to do to improve and try to schedule one with another command. Ask for feedback on all your boards, if you are allowed to--it only helps. Get a prior E to help you out if you have one at your disposal. Ask them to help you board well, because I really think it was the comments on my Nomination Review Board that set me over the top.
3) Strong personal statement. My personal statement contained exactly what I thought the board was looking to see and what was true to me. I don't think they want to see an essay on how much you want this opportunity, although that is how my first twenty drafts looked. Instead, on my final draft I wrote a bit on how much I wanted it, a bit on what I would do with this opportunity, and reassurances that I would not attrite from the program, a bit on my prior college withdrawal, as well as a tidbit on leadership.
Tips - Follow the guidance outlined in the instruction. It spells out exactly what you should have. Don't dwell on one aspect of it, and try to include everything asked for in the personal statement.
4) Professional package. This is a weak strength, but I don't think it's moot. I made sure every facet of numbering, enclosures, and so forth, were as perfect as I could make them. Everyone should do it. This was quite a learning experience for me and I am much better off for it.
Tips - If this is the biggest thing in your life, make it appear as such. Look up all the instructions for yourself on correspondence and official documents. DO NOT take some admin person's word for it.