• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

E-6 Advanced moving to Corpus?

NavAir42

I'm not dead yet....
pilot
Oh hell no. Refueling because you only have four hour legs is one thing, refueling when you have 10-12 hour legs is something else entirely.

Flugelman

Contributor
I heard that it leaked like hell, and that was part of the reason the mod never made it to the P-3, everytime I heard those stories, I thought someone had lost their mind, but your pic confirmed it

I don't know that any birds were ever plumbed for it. A target box was painted on test bird and feasibility study flights flown. As far as I know, it was intended for VQ and not VP usage. I'll delve further into it and report back.

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
Hopefully not... we fly long enough and spend enough of our time chasing quals as it is. In flight refueling capability can be the first thing they delete from P-8 to save weight as far as we are concerned (I have not met anyone who wants that capability).
How many bolts hold the refueling probe on?

PropAddict

Now with even more awesome!
pilot
Contributor
I don't know that any birds were ever plumbed for it. A target box was painted on test bird and feasibility study flights flown. As far as I know, it was intended for VQ and not VP usage. I'll delve further into it and report back.

Word from my on wing was that P-3's could carry nukes :eek::eek::eek::eek: originally, and having refueling capability would have given it range akin to a strategic bomber, which we agreed with the Ruskies we wouldn't build.

e6bflyer

Used to Care
pilot
Hopefully not... we fly long enough and spend enough of our time chasing quals as it is. In flight refueling capability can be the first thing they delete from P-8 to save weight as far as we are concerned (I have not met anyone who wants that capability).

The 737, at least in it's civilian version, doesn't have the legs to do the things that a maritime patrol aircraft needs to do. I suspect that spending 14 hours airborne in a big, comfy, quiet jet is a bit different than riding around in the P-3.

As far as the quals are concerned, I suspect that many of them will be kept current in a high fidelity sim, although I don't have any facts to back that up, just a suspicion.

Yeah, refueling sucks....until you are in a situation where you need the gas.

The P-8 will also have the 737-900 cockpit. "Two positive rates, gear up, flaps up, flight director on, heading select, level change, autopilot on command A, engage autothrottles." is a lot less draining than hand flying, not that hand flying the 737 sucks. I know, I know...you spend all your time flying around at 200 feet over the ocean...I suspect that will change too so that the wings aren't falling off in a few years.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
The 737...... I suspect that spending 14 hours airborne in a big, comfy, quiet jet is a bit different than riding around in the P-3.....
Dunno ....

I got my type-rating in the -37 @ Moses Lake in a driving snow-shit-storm ... I weather-cocked into the wind on at least TWO landings ... it wasn't "quiet" ... we... me, my instructor, and the FAA ... were all screaming, crying, farting, and pleading to God to "spare us" ... :D

trogdor

pilot
Word from my on wing was that P-3's could carry nukes :eek::eek::eek::eek: originally, and having refueling capability would have given it range akin to a strategic bomber, which we agreed with the Ruskies we wouldn't build.

Actually i believe this is only partially true. Yes the P3 could originally carry nukes and this is what kept it from getting the refueling ability, but I think the limiting factor was the Key West Agreement, which outlined how each branch's air assets would be utilized (ie USAF for strategic deterrence). The Navy having a four engined, long range patrol/nuclear bomber that in theory had an unlimited loiter time would have put some boys in blue out of a job... and we all know how they feel about that.

Godspeed

His blood smells like cologne.
pilot
Have they officially moved E-6 advanced training from Vance down here to Corpus? I've heard from some semi-reputable sources that the Navy decided that the T-44 was a better platform to teach the asymmetric thrust and instrument syllabuses than the T-1.

The answer I got to this question from a NAVY T1 IP here at Vance is that they have officially stopped sending NAVY T1 IPs here. The last one just got here this month. So as the IPs finish up their tours and are trickling out throughout the next few years, they will start reducing the NAVY studs they send to advanced here. When the last Navy T1 IP is gone, Navy studs will no longer go to advanced here at Vance. Sh*tty explanation, but hopefully you get the idea.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
Studs were going to be the first to go. September was the last start date, so if all goes according to plan, advanced in the Nid should be Navy free (or the navy should be Vance free) by Marchish when the last guys wing out of there. The IPs will trickle out as their tours wrap up.

jollygreen07

Professional (?) Flight Instructor
pilot
Contributor
Just an update. In case anyone else cares, I just selected E-6's and am bound for Vance. My start date: January 14 :eek:

Thanks for the help everyone!

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
ouch. guess kay's gouge was incorrect. Enjoy the Nid and the windswept plains of desolation.

HighDimension

pilot
Contributor
Just an update. In case anyone else cares, I just selected E-6's and am bound for Vance. My start date: January 14 :eek:

Thanks for the help everyone!

Congrats on the selection! I know a lot of people were gunning for E-6's this week, how'd it end up?