• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

E-6 Advanced moving to Corpus?

jollygreen07

Professional (?) Flight Instructor
pilot
Contributor
Hey guys, quick question to dispel or confirm some gouge I've heard floating around.

Have they officially moved E-6 advanced training from Vance down here to Corpus? I've heard from some semi-reputable sources that the Navy decided that the T-44 was a better platform to teach the asymmetric thrust and instrument syllabuses than the T-1.

Thanks.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
They are still cutting orders to guys leaving their fleet squadron to instruct T-1s with the AF at Vance, so it doesn't seem likely.

heynowlookout

pilot
Contributor
Very possible, guy in my squadron had T-1 orders and very recently got modded to T-6 orders. He was told it was because the Navy was pulling out of T-1's.

STLEngineer

pilot
That checks with just about everything I've heard. I'm not sure if the "official" word has been given, however. Rumor was the last few T-1 trained studs would be showing up in September.

Although the rumblings I've heard is that it is to save some $ more than better training.

Flying a swept wing jet aircraft is quite a bit different than a straight wing turboprop (at least when you're learning), especially wrt power adjustments.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
The gouge I heard jives with September being the last month Navy E-6 studs would show up at Vance...that was from the CNATRA contractor at Vance, so if anyone had a clue, she did. The rest were going to learn to fly props to learn to fly jets...

don't ask questions, silly ensign...don't ask questions...

e6bflyer

Used to Care
pilot
The gouge I heard jives with September being the last month Navy E-6 studs would show up at Vance...that was from the CNATRA contractor at Vance, so if anyone had a clue, she did. The rest were going to learn to fly props to learn to fly jets...

don't ask questions, silly ensign...don't ask questions...

If this is true, then my people will finally be free! Free at last, free at last, thank God almighty, free at last!
The T-1 is a great airplane for learning to fly heavies, but the Air Force sucks every bit of enjoyment out of flying.
While I learned a lot during my tenure at Vance, it is just a red ass for guys to go from Navy primary to AF advanced. It will be quite a leap in speed to go from the T-44 to the E-6, but that is what the 70 sims that you do before you fly the thing are for.
Now, will they throw a refueling syllabus in there? I mean, the P-8 is going to refuel too, right?
Another thought...does this mean that students will select Maritime and then select E-6/P-3 out of advanced?

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
Now, will they throw a refueling syllabus in there? I mean, the P-8 is going to refuel too, right?

Hopefully not... we fly long enough and spend enough of our time chasing quals as it is. In flight refueling capability can be the first thing they delete from P-8 to save weight as far as we are concerned (I have not met anyone who wants that capability).

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
Hopefully not... we fly long enough and spend enough of our time chasing quals as it is. In flight refueling capability can be the first thing they delete from P-8 to save weight as far as we are concerned (I have not met anyone who wants that capability).

Which will mean something once someone you talk to has flown P-8.:D