• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

E-2/C-2/CV-22 Pipeline

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
Really? I always thought the E-2 was the most uncomfortable aircraft I’ve flown. I could never get the seat right and buckling into the chute was always a pain.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Oh, I don't hate America:
View attachment 21509
Theodore Logan (Neo) agrees with this post.

giphy.gif

Goofy Hobgoblin

Alright, I'll bite, how competitive would it be for someone who wanted to go 22s...in the USN and USMC?
Can't speak to USN, but last time the numbers came up in a brief, something like 55% of Marine SNAs will select V-22s. That isn't to say that you can be a bag of ass and expect to be handed it, because every now and then a weird selection week will happen where there are 3 Marines selecting who all want either C-130s or V-22s for those sweet, sweet multi-engine hours, and there are 0 C-130 slots (pretty typical) and only 2 V-22 slots. I know a guy from my TBS company who got drafted into helicopters because of that.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
^ V-22 is not airplane multiengine land and currently many airlines do not accept it. It is powered lift.

Goofy Hobgoblin

^ V-22 is not airplane multiengine land and currently many airlines do not accept it. It is powered lift.
That's what I thought, too, but someone in whatever section of the FAA that handles these rules posted on the /r/flying subreddit that V-22 time is now counted as AMEL. It's a very recent change, like December or January going by the comment.

Even Delta's page on Pilot Qualifications says they'll count 90% of powered lift (AV-8, F-35B, V-22) hours as AMEL, so either it's up to the employer to be more or less restrictive, or that's a little detail of the regulation change that the guy failed to include.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
That's what I thought, too, but someone in whatever section of the FAA that handles these rules posted on the /r/flying subreddit that V-22 time is now counted as AMEL. It's a very recent change, like December or January going by the comment.

Even Delta's page on Pilot Qualifications says they'll count 90% of powered lift (AV-8, F-35B, V-22) hours as AMEL, so either it's up to the employer to be more or less restrictive, or that's a little detail of the regulation change that the guy failed to include.
I just searched the FAA website and other .gov websites and can find nothing on this.

I found the recent FAA change milcomp for V-22 pilots will give both a Commercial Powered Kift and Commercial AMEL. This is because V-22 pipeline includes T-44 time.

The ATP AMEL (which is required by law for 121 employment) still specifically states minimum AMEL requirements and does not say anything about powered lift. Powered Lift dies count toward the the 1500 total time requirement (as does helo time) but not toward the specific hour requirements.

There is nothing in the FARs changing the definition of airplane flight time to include powered lift.

Delta does now allow powered lift toward their 1000 turbine limit @ 90% but that makes sense as a V-22 has a turbine engine. But if you read the rest of their criteria, it says ATP mins in the category (airplane) and 250 PIC in category (airplane) and 50 AMEL. It also says the FARs specifically exclude powered lift from counting towards these requirements.

V-22 is NOT AMEL and should not be logged as such.

Delta allowing powered lift for their total time minimums is not a FAA/FAR change. It is an internal company decision. Similarly my airline has allowed helo time towards total time minimums for years. So do regional airlines.

The bottom line is V-22 (and AV-8B or F-35B) is not “sure thing” for airline minimums like the C-130, F/A-18, etc.

If you’re using reddit as s reference, we’ll than good luck with life.

Goofy Hobgoblin

I just searched the FAA website and other .gov websites and can find nothing on this.

I found the recent FAA change milcomp for V-22 pilots will give both a Commercial Powered Kift and Commercial AMEL. This is because V-22 pipeline includes T-44 time.

The ATP AMEL (which is required by law for 121 employment) still specifically states minimum AMEL requirements and does not say anything about powered lift. Powered Lift dies count toward the the 1500 total time requirement (as does helo time) but not toward the specific hour requirements.

There is nothing in the FARs changing the definition of airplane flight time to include powered lift.

Delta does now allow powered lift toward their 1000 turbine limit @ 90% but that makes sense as a V-22 has a turbine engine. But if you read the rest of their criteria, it says ATP mins in the category (airplane) and 250 PIC in category (airplane) and 50 AMEL. It also says the FARs specifically exclude powered lift from counting towards these requirements.

V-22 is NOT AMEL and should not be logged as such.

Delta allowing powered lift for their total time minimums is not a FAA/FAR change. It is an internal company decision. Similarly my airline has allowed helo time towards total time minimums for years. So do regional airlines.

The bottom line is V-22 (and AV-8B or F-35B) is not “sure thing” for airline minimums like the C-130, F/A-18, etc.

If you’re using reddit as s reference, we’ll than good luck with life.
The snark is pretty unnecessary, but whatever. There's a reason this site and its users have a certain reputation.

That aside, thanks for clearing that up. For what it's worth, people making claims like that do get verified for their username flair, but it sounds like the particular fellow heard something word-of-mouth and misinterpreted the finer details. Debrief point is to go straight to the source, I suppose. Sounds like V-22 time isn't as valuable as the hours one would build in a true multi-engine airplane, but it's a whole lot better than straight-up rotary-wing or single engine fighter time. I'll take it.