• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Dunkirk (Movie)

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
Just saw it, and was completely blown away. It is very dark, very Christopher Nolan, but it's my observation that he was the right man for this movie. Top notch cinematography, acting, and storytelling. Some amazing flying scenes, although at several points I caught myself almost yelling out loud, "LEAD THE GODDAMN TARGET!".

Recommended viewing for sure. However, those who know anything about the real Dunkirk will understand why it's not going to leave you feeling happy inside.

There were a couple of WWII vets in the matinee showing I went to. That was as awesome to see as the movie itself.

Renegade One

None
I caught myself almost yelling out loud, "LEAD THE GODDAMN TARGET!".
RAF pilots at the time of Dunkirk were woefully untrained by later standards, or even by US Navy gunnery standards of the time. In the late 1930s, Fighter Command expected to face only bombers over Britain, and a series of "Fighting Area Tactics" were formulated and rigidly adhered to involving mostly rigidly adhered to formations designed to concentrate a squadron's firepower to bring down bombers. Even later during the Battle of Britain [during which the learning curve steepened significantly] German pilots dubbed the RAF formations Idiotenreihen ("rows of idiots") because they left squadrons vulnerable to attack.

I believe that even pre-war US fighter gunnery stressed high-angle deflection shooting.

Remember too that most of the very brief combat experience obtained over France before Dunkirk was by the Hurricane squadrons forward deployed by Churchill...so the Spit pilots that remained island-based were at even more of a disadvantage...though they apparently learned very quickly during the subsequent months.

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
I've heard nothing but good things, can't wait to see it. I also want to see Valerian.

jmcquate

Contributor
From a USA Today review:

"The trio of timelines can be jarring as you figure out how they all fit, and the fact that there are only a couple of women and no lead actors of color may rub some the wrong way."

..............you've all been warned.

sickboy

pilot
From a USA Today review:

"The trio of timelines can be jarring as you figure out how they all fit, and the fact that there are only a couple of women and no lead actors of color may rub some the wrong way."

I've read that a few different places, but first saw it on a website that appeared to be satire...

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
From a USA Today review:

The couple black French soldiers seen was jarring for its obvious placement.

The time.line is a bit hard to grasp at first. My 21 yo son didn't care for it. I thought it pretty cool once I got it wired.

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
From a USA Today review:

There weren't any openly gay or muslim soldiers either... highly offensive. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Wonderful war movie, among the best, if not the best I have seen. The story-telling is brilliant, the cinematography bleak but beautiful, and the sound track (Hans Zimmerman) is simply the best...I kept thinking a Stuka was about to drop out of the sky at any moment. As a former grunt I especially appreciated how the enemy was practically invisible and as a pilot I love the two points of view in the "waving" scenes (not to spoil it for those who have not been but if you have seen it you should understand).

Go see it.