• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Dual Processing

GlassBanger

IntelO
Contributor
Just checking in see if this is still mostly relevant. Just finished MEPS last week and my recruiter said he wanted me to put in an enlisted application as well as my officer application for SNA just to show more dedication to the Navy. Is this an actual strategy?

This sounds like an absolutely horrible idea. Enlisting is a lot quicker and sorry to say, easier, than trying to be selected to earn a commission. You'd be enlisted before your kit was even able to go anywhere. I think he's playing you.

MadHatter

pilot
Yeah, I mean at first I questioned it but two other guys in the office backed him up when I questioned it, so I was just checking. I already told him no twice and he brought it up again today, but just wanted to see if there was something I was missing. Thanks for the replies.

exNavyOffRec

Just checking in see if this is still mostly relevant. Just finished MEPS last week and my recruiter said he wanted me to put in an enlisted application as well as my officer application for SNA just to show more dedication to the Navy. Is this an actual strategy?

You should absolutely do this, and then you can buy this great bridge I have for sale!

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Yeah, I mean at first I questioned it but two other guys in the office backed him up when I questioned it, so I was just checking. I already told him no twice and he brought it up again today, but just wanted to see if there was something I was missing. Thanks for the replies.

Your ASTB scores are low, almost on the minimums. You will likely be a non-select. I can see the dual processing option but be advised if you are not selected for officer programs you must ship to RTC (if you go that route).

MadHatter

pilot
Your ASTB scores are low, almost on the minimums. You will likely be a non-select. I can see the dual processing option but be advised if you are not selected for officer programs you must ship to RTC (if you go that route).

I understand that, and I plan on retaking it within the month. I'm positive I can get the scores up. In the end I want to be an officer though, so I'll retake and put in my application for just that. Thanks for your reply.

mark0605

I'm a bit confused right now with my processes, and would appreciate some insight on this dual processing matter.

I've been processing for both Army OCS and Navy OCS. I read from multiple sources online suggesting that it is definitely possible to process multiple branches at the same time. I did not mention this to either of my recruiters as I did not foresee any problems arising until I had to make a decision at the end of the process.

My packets are currently complete for both branches, and I have completed my local interview for the Army and received recommendation for commission. I am waiting to hear back from Army Recruiting HQ on Dec 20 for the final recommendation. As for Navy, I unfortunately missed the Dec 2019 board for my community and am waiting for the board to convene in March 2020.

I got a call from my Army recruiter out of the blue recently, asking if I had ever processed for the Navy. Without much detail, I said "yes." He continued to explain that someone from MEPS called him and said Navy "spiffed" my physical record recently and to check whether I am still processing for Army OCS. I told my Army recruiter that I am still willing to continue with my process.

He calls me back a few hours later and asked me if I had done fingerprinting at MEPS for the Navy on Nov XX (a few weeks ago). I was slightly taken aback, as it was clear he had done some investigating, but answered "yes." He immediately showed his displeasure and said he doesn't want to continue putting in time and effort if I'm not 100% committed. I asked him if it was not possible to process with multiple branches at the same time, and he said it is not possible because only the branch that begins your process and submits the packet has access to records at MEPS.

Based on the information that I've seen/heard (also from Air Warriors posts), it seemed like I wasn't the only person processing multiple branches. I told him that I was confused because I'm getting different information from different sources. He said that's the information he knows and it's always been so. My Army recruiter said he needs an answer from me in 2 days (whether I'm going to process with Army or not) so that he can push me through to the final board.

I spoke to my Navy recruiter and explained the situation, and she told me that she's had applicants in the past that process with her and a different branch without problems. She seemed confused by what my Army recruiter was claiming. As far as Navy is concerned, my packet has already been submitted early to the processing station and has been reviewed once without any negative comments/feedback. My Navy recruiter let me know that there aren't any obstacle/problems standing in my way for the March 2020 board.

I was hoping to continue processing for both without jeopardizing my chances in either, until I hear a final decision from one or both of the branches. But it seems like I'm going to have to make a decision sooner than originally anticipated. Any info or suggestions on this matter would be greatly appreciated!

mark0605

In a way you essentially "lied" to your Army recruiter, so don't be surprised that they're ticked off.

With that being said, yes there's means to dual process but it's always good gesture to let the respective recruiters now.

I definitely understand it's nowhere near ideal from the recruiter's standpoint. But I have a lot of reasons for deciding to explore 'other opportunities' than the Army. Can't say that I've had the best experience with my recruiters (I've had 4 work with me so far) in the Army during the past 14 months. Yes, I've been trying to join for 14 months, but am still processing due to many delays, errors, and miscommunications between my recruiters and MEPS. Of course, I understand these things can happen.. but it also contributed to my exploring other options.

With that said, now that everything is in the open but my Army recruiter gave me a hard deadline on a decision. Just wanted to know if he has the ability to stop my process, with my packet already having been recommended for commission by the local board. If possible I would like to continue processing for both to maximize my chances. My Army recruiter made it seem like that's not going to happen, while my Navy recruiter said that's not a problem and that these things happen.

exNavyOffRec

I definitely understand it's nowhere near ideal from the recruiter's standpoint. But I have a lot of reasons for deciding to explore 'other opportunities' than the Army. Can't say that I've had the best experience with my recruiters (I've had 4 work with me so far) in the Army during the past 14 months. Yes, I've been trying to join for 14 months, but am still processing due to many delays, errors, and miscommunications between my recruiters and MEPS. Of course, I understand these things can happen.. but it also contributed to my exploring other options.

With that said, now that everything is in the open but my Army recruiter gave me a hard deadline on a decision. Just wanted to know if he has the ability to stop my process, with my packet already having been recommended for commission by the local board. If possible I would like to continue processing for both to maximize my chances. My Army recruiter made it seem like that's not going to happen, while my Navy recruiter said that's not a problem and that these things happen.

Are you applying for IWC? That is a very small designator with low selection rate and you probably should look at other designators like SWO, you have a very good GPA.

In a way like @RecruitingGuru said you did kind of lie to the Army recruiter, however no one just looks for one job at a time so it is unrealistic that he would think you would only be looking at one option. I say tell him to pack sand.

mark0605

Are you applying for IWC? That is a very small designator with low selection rate and you probably should look at other designators like SWO, you have a very good GPA.

In a way like @RecruitingGuru said you did kind of lie to the Army recruiter, however no one just looks for one job at a time so it is unrealistic that he would think you would only be looking at one option. I say tell him to pack sand.

Yes, I completed my packet for the March Intel board.

My recruiter also suggested applying to SWO alongside IWC, but mentioned that sometimes there can be some questions raised as to why I'm applying to 2 different communities. So I decided to just target the IWC board to show the board members reviewing my packet that I'm 100% committed to joining the Intel community (I know.. applied to 2 branches but committed to 1 community haha).

I'm still unsure how I should go about giving a definite answer to my Army recruiter in 2 days. Navy is my priority, but I also would like to keep Army as a backup plan should I not get selected in March. My Army recruiter also mentioned that he would have to re-obtain my physical record from MEPS that Navy took supposedly.

exNavyOffRec

Yes, I completed my packet for the March Intel board.

My recruiter also suggested applying to SWO alongside IWC, but mentioned that sometimes there can be some questions raised as to why I'm applying to 2 different communities. So I decided to just target the IWC board to show the board members reviewing my packet that I'm 100% committed to joining the Intel community (I know.. applied to 2 branches but committed to 1 community haha).

I'm still unsure how I should go about giving a definite answer to my Army recruiter in 2 days. Navy is my priority, but I also would like to keep Army as a backup plan should I not get selected in March. My Army recruiter also mentioned that he would have to re-obtain my physical record from MEPS that Navy took supposedly.

re-obtain, yes he would, but it is not that hard, and if he thinks it is that hard then I want to know who dresses this guy in the morning.

bphelps95

I know this is probably too late but I thought I'd try to help. Keep in mind the army is also at a 22% selection rate for OCS right now. After getting denied for Navy OCS the army recruiter had to reach out to the navy to "release" my record to them. They had me sign a form and they completed this for me. It could just be an army thing.

Also, keep in mind with the Army it is about 6-8 months to leave after being selected.

flgator92

None
I dual processed into the Navy for what it’s worth. The way I did it is I applied for Marine and Navy OCS. The Marine Corps sent me to get a flight physical at a NAS nearby. I was physically qualified and the medical paperwork was ultimately mine so the Marine OSO didn’t need it. I made a copy along with my ASTB letter and forwarded it to my Navy OR and submitted a package for both branches. Easy day. I went with who picked me up first. In my case, Navy.

Marines do a flight physical prior to OCS, so there’s no need to “share” your MEPS paperwork because I never went to MEPS. As long as you are applying for Marine OCC (not PLC because you go to MEPS) and Navy OCS, nobody needs to know but you. But it’s always good to keep both recruiters in the loop out of respect.