• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

DOR Reapplying For Pilot

buttburner69

Long story short, I went to OCS last year (SNA) and during the flight physical they told me I was "technically" DQ'ed to fly until I got a waiver approved post-OCS graduation in Pensacola, and this freaked me out. I made the stupid decision to DOR thinking they were going to keep me and make me redesignate to sub or something. I know it was a bad decision and I've thought about the Navy and OCS every day since I left. I finally got the courage to ask a recruiter if I could reapply and he said yes to my surprise. I am currently in the process of reapplying and my recruiter is surprisingly optimistic. I've searched on here for applicants that were previous DORs and have come up with a few posts that are about 10 years old.

My question is this, are my odds slim or ok? Being a DOR, the equivalent of having leprosy, I feel fairly pessimistic even though I want this very very badly. I have had to fill out a few more forms about why I left and what not. I understand this is a black mark on my record but any help would be appreciated. Roast me if you want lol.

Scores: 55, 6-7-6
Applying: SNA/NFO
Degree: History
GPA: 3.4

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
My friend, it is just paperwork. If you want it, try for it. In today's admin/selection environment I have no idea what the Navy thinks of this. Way back when I was in AOCS we were told a DOR could never, never, never come back...but a few years after commissioning I bumped into a classmate (who DOR'd for "love") and he was flying for the Coast Guard. So, stuff happens.

buttburner69

My friend, it is just paperwork. If you want it, try for it. In today's admin/selection environment I have no idea what the Navy thinks of this. Way back when I was in AOCS we were told a DOR could never, never, never come back...but a few years after commissioning I bumped into a classmate (who DOR'd for "love") and he was flying for the Coast Guard. So, stuff happens.
Interesting that he got into the CG, I hear they’re one of the most competitive flight programs to get into, especially for a civilian. Thanks for the response, I’ve pretty much finished the app, just a waiting game until the board if everything goes smoothly. Really hoping I get it but if not, that’s fate and the price I pay for my decision.

GroundPounder

I notice you ignored RecruitingGuru's point. I was not in the Navy, nor was I a military pilot, so feel free to ignore my opinion. I was in the Army, and fortunate enough to get some schools that were sought after. Everyone that ever quit, in my mind, prevented someone else that wanted to be there from getting a slot. My plan was that they might make me leave, but I would never quit.

Again, who the F cares what I think, I'm just a random dude on the internet. I would think that you need to come up with a pretty good response for that question when/if it comes up from someone whose opinion does count for something.

buttburner69

I notice you ignored RecruitingGuru's point. I was not in the Navy, nor was I a military pilot, so feel free to ignore my opinion. I was in the Army, and fortunate enough to get some schools that were sought after. Everyone that ever quit, in my mind, prevented someone else that wanted to be there from getting a slot. My plan was that they might make me leave, but I would never quit.

Again, who the F cares what I think, I'm just a random dude on the internet. I would think that you need to come up with a pretty good response for that question when/if it comes up from someone whose opinion does count for something.

Uh well tbh I’m not sure what to say to rufio’s post other than “yes that’s true.” I’ve already had to explain that to my recruiter and why I want to reapply. My post kinda explained it and yes I’m preparing myself to get turned down due to my choice, but I’m fully committed if I’m accepted. Even if I’m told I can’t be a pilot. Glad to hear you didn’t quit.

GroundPounder

Uh well tbh I’m not sure what to say to rufio’s post other than “yes that’s true.” I’ve already had to explain that to my recruiter and why I want to reapply. My post kinda explained it and yes I’m preparing myself to get turned down due to my choice, but I’m fully committed if I’m accepted. Even if I’m told I can’t be a pilot. Glad to hear you didn’t quit.

Fair enough. Like Griz said, who knows how it will turn out, if you don't try the automatic answer is " no ' . If you do make it back in, crush it and be a resource for your men when they get the urge to tap out.

Last edited:

buttburner69

Fair enough. Like Griz said, who knows how it will turn out, if you don't try the automatic answer is " no ' . If you do make it back in, crush it and be a resource for your men when they get the urge to tap out.
I’d be ecstatic if I was given the chance again, granted I understand why I will most likely be turned down. I already have a mini speech planned to everyone before Sunday just to tell them how sh*tty life will be for them if they DOR and to talk to me if they ever think it. Fingers crossed. Thanks for the advice GP

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I’d be ecstatic if I was given the chance again, granted I understand why I will most likely be turned down. I already have a mini speech planned to everyone before Sunday just to tell them how sh*tty life will be for them if they DOR and to talk to me if they ever think it. Fingers crossed. Thanks for the advice GP

Meh. You're not the first person to DOR from a commissioning program, only to reapply. Don't get too wrapped up in RecruitingGuru's drama. No one really knows what they don't know until they know it.

That said, will you be waivered for the previous condition? If not, then we're on a path to destruction.

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
(Edit) That’s not this guy trying again. But shit away.

Last edited:

buttburner69

Meh. You're not the first person to DOR from a commissioning program, only to reapply. Don't get too wrapped up in RecruitingGuru's drama. No one really knows what they don't know until they know it.

That said, will you be waivered for the previous condition? If not, then we're on a path to destruction.

The “DQ” isn’t anything secretive, I should’ve included it in my post. It’s a freckle in the back of one of my eyes. The doctor giving me the physical said word for word “it’s technically a disqualifying factor” and then said not to worry but all I heard was “disqualifying” and got very nervous. After looking into it a lot more it seems to be a fairly common thing

Scimitarze

Automated Member
The “DQ” isn’t anything secretive, I should’ve included it in my post. It’s a freckle in the back of one of my eyes. The doctor giving me the physical said word for word “it’s technically a disqualifying factor” and then said not to worry but all I heard was “disqualifying” and got very nervous. After looking into it a lot more it seems to be a fairly common thing

CHRPE?