• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Doing away with IFS?

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Speaking of IFS, I was at KBAK (Columbus, Indiana) yesterday on a student XC, and the ramp was full of Civil Air Patrol C182''s. The FBO was full of active duty AF officers from O1's to O4. A few conversations later I learn that all these young officers are here TAD for an accelerated IFS using CAP aircraft and CFI's to get to first solo and then immediate orders to UPT. I spoke with a 33 year old Major who would be going on to Air Force flight school after a career as a civil engineer. Apparently these accelerated IFS clinics are happening all over the country.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Speaking of IFS, I was at KBAK (Columbus, Indiana) yesterday on a student XC, and the ramp was full of Civil Air Patrol C182''s. The FBO was full of active duty AF officers from O1's to O4. A few conversations later I learn that all these young officers are here TAD for an accelerated IFS using CAP aircraft and CFI's to get to first solo and then immediate orders to UPT. I spoke with a 33 year old Major who would be going on to Air Force flight school after a career as a civil engineer. Apparently these accelerated IFS clinics are happening all over the country.
View attachment 27358
Interesting. Did they indicate if they were going to a cockpit or a UAV seat?

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Interesting. Did they indicate if they were going to a cockpit or a UAV seat?
UAV guys are still required to get the full 45 hour syllabus at Pueblo... For now...

This has been a hot topic, but aeronautical experience and decision making is tough to teach as is in such a short course. RPA types show up to the FTU with about as much experience as a Primary student who hasn't done aerobatics or forms yet. Reducing that initial training without any follow on flight training (other than an "instrument qualification" in the sim) for guys going to a platform that carries weapons is probably a bad idea.

But it will save money. So I won't count it out.

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
Fucking Marines hanging out at Whiting as perma-Captains and getting extended on shore duty repeatedly? (yes I'm jealous)
That, and the guys who are able to fanangle their timing to work into the USCG, although, that is exceptionally rare compared to how it used to be.