• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

does this sound accurate??

6strings78

First, hello to everyone. This is my first time posting on here. I'm trying to find out whether the information I am being fed from a recruiter here in Kaiserslautern, Germany is accurate. I stopped in to speak with a Navy recruiter the other day because I really want to do intel work. I am prior service Army with 6 years active duty (left in 2005 as an E-5) but the Army won't do any retraining right now with all the cutbacks. So I asked the Navy recruiter about getting a commission in the Navy reserves for an intel officer. I told him I will be finished with my political science degree in December, I already have a B.S. in general studies and will complete a M.A. in Worldview Studies (a mixture of anthropology, religion and philosophy) this summer. The recruiter told me that unless my Master's was in Political Science I don't have a shot at an intel position in the Navy reserves. Does this sound accurate to you guys?? When I asked about going Active he said, "yeah that's doable, just make sure to wait until you finish your political science degree before applying if you want to go for intel." I just don't know if this guy is for real or is selling me a load of garbage. Would love to hear some feedback on what everyone thinks of this info.

-much appreciated-

BackOrdered

Contributor
I would just be mindful of the deliverables and focus on the ones within your control. Yes, it is a long process.

He isn't kidding about reserve commissions. Usually it is not only common to have a Masters, but some sort of tangible experience in the community's lines of business or mission.

And Officer Recruiters, at least in the Navy, are far from used car salesmen. For as long as I could remember, they are more concerned with how you sell yourself as they have no shortage of applicants courting them for attention.

6strings78

Well, this guy is not an officer recruiter. for his part he's a lot more decent than the Army recruiter I went to who has since completely blown me off and hasn't returned any phone calls or emails. The recruiter here, since I am in Germany, said he can't really help me much and would have to hand me off to someone back in the states. As of right now I still have to figure out how to get back there to take the ASTB. Thanks for confirming his statement though. At least now I know.

hopeful_one

Cryptologic Warfare Officer
I would see if you can get in touch with an Officer Recruiter back in the states who can help you out. I have never met my recruiter before and have only communicated via email and phone. With the help of my applicant processor they were able to get a package in for me for this week's board. Since I'm going for Information Warfare, I'm not really sure about what degrees they want for Intel. I have a technical background though and one of my Officer interviews told me I could apply for Intel as well. I have a feeling you are not limited to political science. They look at a lot of other things like relevant working experience and leadership - whole person thing. Like I said, talk to a stateside recruiter and they can shed more light.

6strings78

well, as luck would have it I actually stumbled across an O-4 here where I work and she said her best friend is an OR back in the states (in TN) and she could give me the hook up. So I am definitely going to utilize that resource to the fullest! IW sounds like it is a good option to go as well. I'd like to finish out my 20 in the Navy if possible and then transition to one of the 3 letter agencies afterwards and I think IW could still do that for me.

exNavyOffRec

well, as luck would have it I actually stumbled across an O-4 here where I work and she said her best friend is an OR back in the states (in TN) and she could give me the hook up. So I am definitely going to utilize that resource to the fullest! IW sounds like it is a good option to go as well. I'd like to finish out my 20 in the Navy if possible and then transition to one of the 3 letter agencies afterwards and I think IW could still do that for me.

If you want to work for one of those agencies take a look at the qualifications, many have a max age for applications, I would hate to see you do one thing and then miss out on another because of it.

hopeful_one

If you want to work for one of those agencies take a look at the qualifications, many have a max age for applications, I would hate to see you do one thing and then miss out on another because of it.
I believe the only max age for applicants at a 3 letter agency (that I know of) is for special agents, which is 37. All of these agencies have needs for management and operational support personnel with intel, cyber or systems experience. We gainfully employ many people up until retirement. A perfect example is Information Warfare. Many IW Officers come to work as civilians at one of the 4 cryptologic centers after they finish their careers in the Navy.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

Unless he is planning to become a federal special agent or join the CIA's Clandestine Service there isn't an max age for the three-letter agencies (max age is legally waiverable for veterans applyign to become federal agents nowadays, not sure if that is the norm though).

exNavyOffRec

Unless he is planning to become a federal special agent or join the CIA's Clandestine Service there isn't an max age for the three-letter agencies (max age is legally waiverable for veterans applyign to become federal agents nowadays, not sure if that is the norm though).

yes, not sure which job he was desiring so just said to check it out, a few years ago I was told they were pretty easy about waivers for max age, generally for those just leaving the service.

6strings78

question for the group. So I mentioned above that I spoke with an LCDR here where I work and she was able to get me two "interviews" with two different Navy CAPT's that are both Intel here in Germany. My question is this, I am a civilian and I have a beard; someone suggested I shave it off before I got meet with them and to wear a suit and tie. Is this a bit overkill? I realize I need to look and dress professional and was planning to wear a sports jacket with a shirt and tie, but the shaving off of the beard seems a bit over the top. What do you all think?? To shave or not to shave, that is the question...

6strings78

I would see if you can get in touch with an Officer Recruiter back in the states who can help you out. I have never met my recruiter before and have only communicated via email and phone. With the help of my applicant processor they were able to get a package in for me for this week's board. Since I'm going for Information Warfare, I'm not really sure about what degrees they want for Intel. I have a technical background though and one of my Officer interviews told me I could apply for Intel as well. I have a feeling you are not limited to political science. They look at a lot of other things like relevant working experience and leadership - whole person thing. Like I said, talk to a stateside recruiter and they can shed more light.

I called the officer recruiting station in Philideplphia because that it the one closest to my home of record and they gave me some good info. However they said they won't start doing anything until I take the OAR and score a 50 or better on it. Unfortunately this means a waiting game for me since I am overseas and must sheel out some cash to fly back to the US to do it. They told me there was just under 1,000 people that have applied for intel and only about 35 have been accepted. She said if I am dead set on intel I might want to wait until the next fiscal year to apply. A couple questions I have. If I take the OAR and for some reason scored less than I would like is there a time limit on how soon I must take it? I thought I read somewhere that I have 90 days after my first attempt to re-take it; is this true? Also if I was to take the test in May (I'm flying back to walk for graduation) is that result still good if I wait to apply next fiscal year?

hopeful_one

question for the group. So I mentioned above that I spoke with an LCDR here where I work and she was able to get me two "interviews" with two different Navy CAPT's that are both Intel here in Germany. My question is this, I am a civilian and I have a beard; someone suggested I shave it off before I got meet with them and to wear a suit and tie. Is this a bit overkill? I realize I need to look and dress professional and was planning to wear a sports jacket with a shirt and tie, but the shaving off of the beard seems a bit over the top. What do you all think?? To shave or not to shave, that is the question...

If this is a formal panel interview with both Navy CAPTs I would go all out and wear an actual suit and shave. I have a goatee and when I scheduled personal interviews with Officers that I work with, I didn't necessarily shave completely, but I did make sure I looked neat and wore a tie. When I went for a panel interview, which is a formal interview, I shaved completely and wore a suit. I would err on the side of caution and treat it like a formal interview. It's better to be overdressed and clean shaven than under-dressed - IMHO.

I called the officer recruiting station in Philideplphia because that it the one closest to my home of record and they gave me some good info. However they said they won't start doing anything until I take the OAR and score a 50 or better on it. Unfortunately this means a waiting game for me since I am overseas and must sheel out some cash to fly back to the US to do it. They told me there was just under 1,000 people that have applied for intel and only about 35 have been accepted. She said if I am dead set on intel I might want to wait until the next fiscal year to apply. A couple questions I have. If I take the OAR and for some reason scored less than I would like is there a time limit on how soon I must take it? I thought I read somewhere that I have 90 days after my first attempt to re-take it; is this true? Also if I was to take the test in May (I'm flying back to walk for graduation) is that result still good if I wait to apply next fiscal year?

I'm not sure who you spoke with in Philadelphia, but I don't think you need to take the OAR for Navy Reserve. I'm not sure if you have to on the Active side. I worked with 3 different recruiters and none of them said I needed the OAR. I have a package being reviewed this week for IW, IP and Intel. Maybe someone else can confirm, but I don't think it needs to be included with your package. I'm also non-prior, but I don't think that makes a difference either.

6strings78

If this is a formal panel interview with both Navy CAPTs I would go all out and wear an actual suit and shave. I have a goatee and when I scheduled personal interviews with Officers that I work with, I didn't necessarily shave completely, but I did make sure I looked neat and wore a tie. When I went for a panel interview, which is a formal interview, I shaved completely and wore a suit. I would err on the side of caution and treat it like a formal interview. It's better to be overdressed and clean shaven than under-dressed - IMHO.

I'm not sure who you spoke with in Philadelphia, but I don't think you need to take the OAR for Navy Reserve. I'm not sure if you have to on the Active side. I worked with 3 different recruiters and none of them said I needed the OAR. I have a package being reviewed this week for IW, IP and Intel. Maybe someone else can confirm, but I don't think it needs to be included with your package. I'm also non-prior, but I don't think that makes a difference either.

I've actually decided to make a go of this on the active duty side, so looks like I will have to fly back to the states to take it. Someone on Navy.com's live chat thing said there was an active duty officer recruiter in Naples, Italy, but when I called down there they said that wasn't true. At any rate, I don't know how formal this interview is going to be as I have not made contact with the CAPT's yet. The LCDR who has been helping me suggested I put together a nice articulate email and attach a resume and CV. I've got the resume and email done, but I'm in the process of putting together a CV. Once I hear back from them I think I'll have a betetr idea of how formal it is going to be. Either way I will dress the part and probably shave my beloved beard.

hopeful_one

I've actually decided to make a go of this on the active duty side, so looks like I will have to fly back to the states to take it. Someone on Navy.com's live chat thing said there was an active duty officer recruiter in Naples, Italy, but when I called down there they said that wasn't true. At any rate, I don't know how formal this interview is going to be as I have not made contact with the CAPT's yet. The LCDR who has been helping me suggested I put together a nice articulate email and attach a resume and CV. I've got the resume and email done, but I'm in the process of putting together a CV. Once I hear back from them I think I'll have a betetr idea of how formal it is going to be. Either way I will dress the part and probably shave my beloved beard.
Good luck! If you're going active duty you won't see your beloved beard again for 20 years.

exNavyOffRec

Intel and IDC has been that way for years with tons of applicants, it really doesn't change much from FY to FY and the OAR thing a 50, 45 or 55 really doesn't make much difference, it sounds as if they are trying to nicely give you the brush off.

A person has to wait 90 days between testing attempt now.