• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Does OAR score play a big factor in pilot selection?

MambaJamba1124

Winging it!!
Hi everyone!
I recently took the ASTB, and scored 7/7/5 46.

My question is how much of a factor does the OAR play in getting picked up?

The rest of my package is as follows:
7 LOR'S 2 from officers, 1 from fire chief , 2 from professor's, 1 from flight instructor, 1 from my manager.
GPA is 3.12 will be around a 3.2 after this semester.
Private pilots license.

I felt good about my scores until I looked and saw my low OAR. Is it something I should worry about?

Thanks in advance for any info regarding this subject!

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Hi everyone!
I recently took the ASTB, and scored 7/7/5 46.

My question is how much of a factor does the OAR play in getting picked up?
Your OAR is not low enough to worry over for aviation, your ASTB carries much more weight and yours is not eye-popping, but should be OK. Your AOR is not good for the 3rd choice of SWO.:oops:
The rest of my package is as follows:
7 LOR'S 2 from officers, 1 from fire chief , 2 from professor's, 1 from flight instructor, 1 from my manager.
GPA is 3.12 will be around a 3.2 after this semester.
Private pilots license.
Hopefully, your LOR's letters are from people who know you, and express that in their letters. Letters containing positive comments on your work ethic, leadership potential, personal integrity etc, are golden' (and eye-catching to the board)!;)

GPA of 3.2 should fare well
'
PPL not a big deal, but won't hurt. At best could be a 'tiebreaker'.
I felt good about my scores until I looked and saw my low OAR. Is it something I should worry about?
As mentioned above: not really, unless you have the hots for SWO... oh wait, you put it 3rd choice, so nada problema.. but you should be OK for SNA/SNFO (if PQ)!:)

*The above is only my opinion, and not binding in a court of law. Good luck!:D
BzB

MambaJamba1124

Winging it!!
Thank you very much for your input sir! This helps put my mind to rest.... For now at least

I am not to keen on SWO, but my recruiter keeps telling me to put a third community. I would rather have that slot be given to someone who has been longing night and day for SWO, as I have for SNA/SNFO.

My recruiter tells me my score for pilot are above average which relaxed me, but it's good to here from someone else that I have a good shot at SNA/SNFO!

Have a good night and thank you very much!

exNavyOffRec

Thank you very much for your input sir! This helps put my mind to rest.... For now at least

I am not to keen on SWO, but my recruiter keeps telling me to put a third community. I would rather have that slot be given to someone who has been longing night and day for SWO, as I have for SNA/SNFO.

My recruiter tells me my score for pilot are above average which relaxed me, but it's good to here from someone else that I have a good shot at SNA/SNFO!

Given what you have read you should remove SWO, I have the feeling if you don't get picked up for SNA or SNFO but do for SWO you will not be happy, the recent info RUFi0181 has is that third choices are not really looked at anymore.

A$AP

None

Hey man, I can relate to a degree. I scored a 5/6/5 45 and was immediately disappointed. I assumed that I should retake it, but my OR was very pleased. I have a 3.52 GPA and have a history of playing sports, National Honor Society, a college-level honor society, etc. However seeing some of the scores on here discourages me a bit. I'm applying for SNA/NFO/SWO. NavyOffRec-- do you think it is imperative to retake, or do you think the "well-rounded" packet comes into play here? Thanks! And Robert, good luck with everything :)

MambaJamba1124

Winging it!!
Hey man, I can relate to a degree. I scored a 5/6/5 45 and was immediately disappointed. I assumed that I should retake it, but my OR was very pleased. I have a 3.52 GPA and have a history of playing sports, National Honor Society, a college-level honor society, etc. However seeing some of the scores on here discourages me a bit. I'm applying for SNA/NFO/SWO. NavyOffRec-- do you think it is imperative to retake, or do you think the "well-rounded" packet comes into play here? Thanks! And Robert, good luck with everything :)

CFerg good luck to you as well!

exNavyOffRec

your OR was pleased? I wonder if he is happy when his kid has C's on the report card!

If you want to fly you need to retake, he was probably pleased because with your OAR and GPA you should have a good shot at SWO, so you might be an accession for him, but not in the designator you want.

well rounded really doesn't come into play too much in aviation, the ASTB is king, I can't tell you how many people I have had picked up SNA that just went to school, had average GPA's, but they had excellent ASTB scores, I know several that applied who were what would be considered "well rounded" but had not good ASTB scores, they were not picked up.

TGL78

ProRec Y SNA/NFO
While on the topic of lower-end ASTB scores, should I be worried? Any input is always appreciated! Thanks!

ASTB: 6/8/6 47

Notorious Nate

You OAR seems to be a bit low, but as far as I can tell that doesn't play as big of a factor in pilot selection.

I got a 7/7/7 69. My recruiter was very happy with my scores, even though I had hoped for some 8's. I think your 6/8/6 is going to be just fine. You can always retake, I bet the second time around you can turn those 6's into 7's or 8's.

Last edited:

TGL78

ProRec Y SNA/NFO
You OAR seems to be a bit low, but as far as I can tell that doesn't play as big of a factor in pilot selection.

I got a 7/7/7 69. My recruiter was very happy with my scores, even though I had hoped for some 8's. I think your 6/8/6 is going to be just fine. You can always retake, I bet the second time around you can turn those 6's into 7's or 8's.
Thanks for the input Nate. If I don't get selected in this upcoming board I will definitely take it again.

I know this is an old thread but I'm wanting to know if my oar is going to hurt me. I scored
43, 5, 7,6 on the astb-e. I have a 3.85 GPA. Active duty. I took the test at a recruiting office and the recruter said "congratulations you passed." Since then, I've been hearing mixed things. Some people say I'll be fine because the board only look at astb scores and others say I won't get picked up because of my OAR score. Does the OAR matter for Pilot/NFO boards or just the astb scores?