• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Does College Major matter?

gtg941f

pilot
Ahhhh, I was wondering how long it would take this thread to discuss the ERAU arrogance. Thank you Otto for tackling that giant. I think it's a little more credible coming from an alumnus. Even in the engineering world, ERAU folks talk themselves up so much and are constantly telling you how smart they are and how much better their school was than yours. It's disgusting when they degrade aerospace engineers from schools like Michigan, Illinois, GT, etc. Experienced first hand a Riddlekid telling an MIT grad that his school was just overrated and that ERAU offered a much better education. I could go on endlessly....but I won't.

Kickflip89

Below Ladder
None
Contributor
Haha...okay, I'll give you that one. What I find is obnoxious are the guys who are barely scraping their way through IFS and still walk around with pompous arrogant attitudes. Ugh, sometimes I start to understand why people talk about shooting other human beings!!

Don't worry, the dick-slapping that is primary flight training will sort out a lot of these guys. Just keep yours safely tucked away.

RedFive

pilot
None
Contributor
Fireman, damnit!
fireman_2.gif

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
FWIW, RiddleKids' reputation in the Program is not a good one. Nothing that hasn't been discussed already - pompous to the point where I overheard one expounding on how Navy pilots seem too eager to eject from aircraft that he, highly-trained ERAU alumnus, would have tried to save - but it is well-noted among the instructors.

I would say they're making the Academy kids look good, but while the levels of arrogance and undeserved air of superiority are about the same, I will grant that ERAU grads' felony rate is much lower.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
FWIW, RiddleKids' reputation in the Program is not a good one. Nothing that hasn't been discussed already - pompous to the point where I overheard one expounding on how Navy pilots seem too eager to eject from aircraft that he, highly-trained ERAU alumnus, would have tried to save - but it is well-noted among the instructors.

I would say they're making the Academy kids look good, but while the levels of arrogance and undeserved air of superiority are about the same, I will grant that ERAU grads' felony rate is much lower.

Should have just told him, based on his comment, that he's been pre-selected for helos.... that'll learn him to open his fucking know-nothing mouth. :)

We hardly ever eject!

flager

Banned
Hello... this remnds me - me have to make something quick for lunch. I just feel so lazy at the moment. Plsu, I'm starting to question my cooking as of now. I don't think it'll turn out that edible. O well, I really should get moving and start the process instead of reading forum posts.

tcufrog

I was on the road with my officer recruiter coming back from my ASTB test and I was asking some questions that I was just curious about and one of these was your same question. He told me that he sees a lot of criminal justice majors as well as psychology majors and that since there are so many with that background they need to have a really high gpa (3.8-4.0) and a great ASTB score to stand a chance in getting in. Luckily I was neither of these but as long as you are achieving high grades then it should not be a big deal. Good luck.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Haha...okay, I'll give you that one. What I find is obnoxious are the guys who are barely scraping their way through IFS and still walk around with pompous arrogant attitudes. Ugh, sometimes I start to understand why people talk about shooting other human beings!!

I'll just say that when you get a little further along in the program (such as advanced), you will find that some of these bumpkins who annoy you so much now, may actually end up doing better than you. It doesn't take a lifelong interest in aviation, or an ERAU background, to do well in the flight program, nor should it. Believe it or not, there are some guys out there who you will meet who simply view this as a job.

Duff_Man!

My school accepts 1000+ civil engineers every year and my graduating class had less than 70, so without going in a lot of detail I'll say that doing engineering is a huge risk, since you'll lose a lot of time, money, etc if you fail out.

On the other hand, if you make it, it's a lot easier to get a job, people automatically assume you're not an idiot, and if you went to a crazy party school, like I did, people still take your degree seriously.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
Accepts 1000+ or 1000+ start the actual program as frosh? My engineering school had a fairly decent washout rate (spitball is 25% either switched engineering type or left altogether), but 7%? That seems horrendously low for any academic institution.

eas7888

Looking forward to some P-8 action
pilot
Contributor
My school accepts 1000+ civil engineers every year and my graduating class had less than 70, so without going in a lot of detail I'll say that doing engineering is a huge risk, since you'll lose a lot of time, money, etc if you fail out.

On the other hand, if you make it, it's a lot easier to get a job, people automatically assume you're not an idiot, and if you went to a crazy party school, like I did, people still take your degree seriously.

I usually assume engineers aren't idiots. There are always exceptions.

Prime Example

Duff_Man!

Accepts 1000+ or 1000+ start the actual program as frosh? My engineering school had a fairly decent washout rate (spitball is 25% either switched engineering type or left altogether), but 7%? That seems horrendously low for any academic institution.

1000+ start out as freshmen. They used to have this web site that had a record of how many new people declared each of the engineering disciplines for each year, for the past 10 years or so. It always hovered around 1100 or so for CE.