• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

does anyone have any info?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big M

My name is matt and i am a junior in high school. I really want to attend the Naval Academy and become an F-18E SuperHornet pilot. This has been what I have wanted to do for many years. I am currently taking AP US History and Honors Science research and next year plan to take AP English and Physics Honors. My GPA is about a 3.3, maybe a little higher. I also participate in Varsity X country track, Varsity football, and Baseball, as well as extra curricular activities and communtiy service. I am planning on working as an intern for my county legislature this summer.

Does this profile sound like i can compete for a spot in the Academy?

If anyone has any helpful information for me, I would greatly appreciate it.
Thanks, Matt

Matthew Librizzi

Matthew Librizzi

jrklr

I was looking into the academies too when i was in high school. I'm sure you know that it is extremely competetive (similar to the Ivy leagues almost), but you sound like a good candidate, maybe get that GPA up though. I've heard that it's different from year to year on how competive it is exactly. They like to see leadership, academics, sports, comm. service, and determination. I think you need to first decide if the academy is the really the right thing for you. It's not your typical college experience. Do as much research as you can on it and try to take a tour of them if your serious about it. Also, I wouldn't pick an academy just because of the planes that branch flys. Even if your qualified for flight, you need to out perform a lot of people in a difficult training program and have a lot of luck if you want the jets. If your determined to become an officer regardless of anything, then I would say your a good match for the academy. I know it's tough at your age to not think about anything besides the fighter pilot career, but definitely make sure that being an officer is what you truly desire, and not just flying. Do a search on this board and you'll find a lot of info about that kind of stuff. Sorry, I know I'm not an academy grad. so I'm probably not the help your looking for, but you remind me a lot of myself when I was a junior in HS.

Big M

jrklr....

Thanks for all the info, it really doesnt matter to me if you are an academy grad. If you have good info i am willing to listen to what you have to say. I was thinking about what you said about not just depending on becoming a fighter pilot. Throughout the years i have researched this career path heavily and i have decided that it is the way for me. My first goal is to become a Naval Officer and i really do want to become one. I also want to be a SEAL, this is my other option. I really want to be a pilot but if it does not work out the way i thought it would i would be as equally happy to become a SEAL. I believe that the Navy will suit me well and i really hope that the Academy will acept me.

Thanks again for the info.

Matthew Librizzi

Goliath112

Thats great that you know what you want to do after HS. Just keep your goals in mind when you complete things grades, jobs, eagle scout BS, etc. Do good on these things and try hard to be the best. Another thing, SEAL training is especially demanding. Make sure you are a hardcore nut if you decide to try to attend BUD/S. (Basic Underwater Demolition School) that is the intial school for SEALS. I have had several friends who went to BUD/S and most of them rung the bell 'aka DOR'ed Dropped on Request'. (decided it was not for them) so the moral of the story is examine you goals and intentions throughly, and when you have set your course, charge at it...

p.s. don't get so caught up in your mission that you forget to have fun.

Big M

Thank you Goliath112. I have researched BUDS training for a long period of time. Now what i am about to say might sound a little cocky and i know it but i believe in myself. If i was going to do BUDS training i would never ring out. I would not let myself, i don't quit the only way i would not pass training is if i could not comnplete the task but i would keep on trying.

Thanks again for the info and don't worry I still have fun but in the end i want to be able to accomplish my goals.

Matthew Librizzi

Status
Not open for further replies.