• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Do you need a car for API?

Tobe

I'm thinking of living close to the NAS and riding a bike (bicycle) or something to save money.

armada1651

Hey intern, get me a Campari!
pilot
Unless you plan on using all that saved money to buy more beer for yourself and your friends, that is a silly idea. And if that is your plan, you have even more of a drinking problem than most of us.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
Yes.

I would have the car as a backup plan for crazy weather, having to go somewhere that isn't NAS, odd show times, meeting friends, etc. Pensacola ain't a big city where you can get away without having wheels.

Pags

N/A
pilot
You will need a car for flight school. You're an adult now, with a paycheck and everything. You can afford some sort of automobile.
It doesn't have to be new or awesome. If $ is a concern then get a reliable used car.

Tobe

It's not that big a deal, call me crazy I'd just rather pay back my student loan and save some money. I was just wondering if I'd need a car. Sounds like I will.

Duncan Idaho

I like cheese.
None
It's not that big a deal, call me crazy I'd just rather pay back my student loan and save some money. I was just wondering if I'd need a car. Sounds like I will.
There are certainly people that ride their bikes on P'cola. However, it can be a long ride depending on where you live and the weather can be shitty. (It does actually get cold and wet down there.) Aside from getting on base, you'll also want a car for getting around town. How else will you bring home a girl from the Florabama???
On second thought, don't bring home a girl from the Florabama. EVER.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'm thinking of living close to the NAS and riding a bike (bicycle) or something to save money.
Then you should live in the BOQ on base. You should be able to walk or ride you your sweet bicycle to your 0530 brief or any other on-base requirements including the chow hall. Moving from NAS Pensacola to NAS Whiting (for primary through winging) will prove challenging on your bicycle, you may need to find a friend with a truck or rent a uhaul. But once you are moved into the BOQ onboard Whiting, your bicycle will be great. One other thing, it rains a lot...make sure you buy a nice rain parka. In the end, I hope the juice is worth the squeeze.

Here's a sweet ride:
image.jpeg

Ken_gone_flying

"I live vicariously through myself."
pilot
Contributor
Don't be the student that doesn't show for his brief because he had a flat tire. A flat bike tire...

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
Go buy a horse, I heard you can park them on the parade field now that OCS moved to RI...way cheaper than a car.