• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Do you like it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

airgreg

low bypass axial-flow turbofan with AB driver
pilot
I've never been in the service before so I'm trying to get an idea of what life is like. I'm friends with a retired USMC Colonel and he described his military career as being kinda like a professional fraternity or team sport. Is that description still accurate? Thanks for your help in answering these questions:

1) What percentage of your peers enjoy their Navy/USMC careers? Do most people enjoy going to work everyday, or are most people just counting the days until their commitment is up? (I'm not saying people are rushing to get out, but some services have implemented a "stop-loss") What percentage of people stay in after their initial minimum commitment?

2) What are the best things about being a Navy/USMC officer? What are the worst things?

Thanks for your help,
-Greg

Frumby

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
To answer your questions from a Marines standpoint:

1. I can honestly say from both the Air and grunt side (I served with both) there wasn't a person I was with who did not enjoy what he or she was doing.

2. The best thing is being with, working with, and playing with 175,000 of your friends. The worst thing......let me think......Probably, whenever I look at the glorius seal of the Marine Corps, just above the Eagle, Globe and Anchor it says "Department of the Navy." Still a difficult pill to swallow. Frumby

Attack Pilot
Major USMC

Frumby

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Impressive. I haven't seen a good Marine slam like that in years. The last one came from a friend of mine who was in the Navy. I was a cocky 2ndLt (is there any other kind) spouting off with a teasing slur of "squid." She said to me "Do you know what a squid is?" I cockily said "No, tell me squid!" She smiled and said "A squid is an animal which swims in the ocean and shits on Marine life!" I licked my wounds for 2 years until she ended up marrying a Marine. I never felt vindicated but it did start another 15 years of banter. Thanks Mari! I enjoyed that one! Semper Fidelis! Frumby

Attack Pilot
Major USMC

ProwlerPilot

pilot
From a Navy perspective, I love my job. I have to admit that I haven't been in a fleet squadron yet and actaully been working 24-7, but I have had a blast up to this point. I get to fly aircraft that civilians could only hope to dream, and then they pay me for it. It is great. As for many of my friends, they are enjoying it too. I have a few who are Surface Warfare who will complian about life, but overall are happy with the Navy, the pay, and the experiences that they are having.

For Frumby: MARINE = Muscles Are Required, Intelligence Not Expected

Status
Not open for further replies.