• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

direct commission

treblisreyd

Please see flow points, below.
View attachment 20971

You will hit mandatory retirement at age 62 per Title 10, U.S. Code, Section 14509, 14703, 12308.

You will also get kicked out at 28 years of commissioned service which also gets some people. Because of my age, I can stay in the Reserve as an O4 until I reach 62 ?

If you 2XFOS for O4 you will be ADSEP'd but can request a Continuation Board. I know at least two people (both 1835's) who have been ADSEP'd from the Reserve because they did not make O4 after their second try.

Best way to track all this this is with a spreadsheet (See attached). Download. In B2 enter your commission date (YYYY-MM-DD). Then, drag that value down to B30 so that B3, B4, etc. increment by one year. Enter your age in D2 and drag that value down to D30. In E2 enter your current total years of qualifying service as of your commissioning date. Drag that value down to E30. After this, adjust the yellow row at row 30 and instead highlight the row where you are 62.

This will give you an idea of how old you will be at certain time frames as well as when you will be eligible for promotion to O4.

I took a swag at your age and assumed you will get commissioned in 2020. Based on those, I filled in the spreadsheet for you as a good swag. The only thing that will change is your commission date for O3/LT. Mine changed by a month or so, but this is still good swag.

Looks like you will hit ~25 years of commissioned service before mando retirement at 62.

View attachment 20973
Awwww mannn!!! You're so awesome!!! I finally have an answer to share with the Captain before it's too late. Thaaaannnnk yooouuuu sir!! Much appreciated.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
I understand that, but within that 19 years I've accumulated a mass of accolades and awards that have allowed me to shine (consecutive nosc jsoy, GLS SOQ, several logistics military Certs (incl. Master LSR), pursuing DAWIA Contracting courses, sejpme, pme (currently completing), 3 NAMs, AAM, 2 MOBS, 220+ funeral honors, overseas volunteer missions, consecutive excellent/ outstanding PFAs, PMP, LPO twice, Masters degree, SCW, currently a Logistics Manager etc. If I'm not what they're looking for due to 4 more years, then oh well, but I believe I'm qualified. In addition, I was advanced to this board.

I had a colleague who worked a Reserve LSC, about 14 years in I believe, masters, leadership/experience, good interview scores, awards, Yatta Yatta who wasn’t selected. Talking with the community the TIS is what hurt him. Yes, you can serve another 15+ as a DCO Supply Officer but more times than not the board doesn’t view it that way. They already bar prior enlisted candidates with 6+ years TIS on the active side and so it’s not too shocking they “unofficially” do something similar for RC.

Also, you don’t “advance” to the next board. You’re application is submitted and as long as you’re qualified and your paperwork is all in order you’ll be considered by the next selection board. There isn’t an initial “cutoff” or anything like that...

Last edited:

treblisreyd

I had a colleague who worked a Reserve LSC, about 14 years in I believe, masters, leadership/experience, good interview scores, awards, Yatta Yatta who wasn’t selected. Talking with the community the TIS is what hurt him. Yes, you can serve another 15+ as a DCO Supply Officer but more times than not the board doesn’t view it that way. They already bar prior enlisted candidates with 6+ years TIS on the active side and so it’s not too shocking they “unofficially” do something similar for RC.

Also, you don’t “advance” to the next board. You’re application is submitted and as long as you’re qualified and your paperwork is all in order you’ll be considered by the next selection board. There isn’t an initial “cutoff” or anything like that...
I understand there are some who don't advance/get selected, and some that do. I get that - even the best qualified. However, at the end of the day, people get selected for one primary reason - needs of the Navy. I don't believe it's o

I understand there are some who don't advance/get selected, and some that do. I get that - even the best qualified. However, at the end of the day, people get selected for one primary reason - needs of the Navy. People also get selected because they believed in something greater and tried for something better. I don't believe it's one primary reason or another that determines selection because as many scenarios as you all have to prove TIS a deterrent not to try, I have as many influences to try with the very stories you may present. One of my mentors (and funeral honors shipmate -a LCDR) was a First Class, had about 14 + years, and was selected at a later age - just before he was no longer eligible (w/o a waiver). My former OIC shared with me a story of his friend who was selected at 49 (w/an age waiver). My former Seabee shipmate did 16+ years and was selected LDO on first attempt. I also know an LT who tried 7 consecutive times before selection. Finally, he realized he had plenty of logistics experience and would best fit in Supply Corps. If I get selected or not, the whole idea is to try. As an optimist, that's my automatic resolve.

I wrote this lengthy response not to simply refute, but to encourage because there's someone out there that may be reading my story who must know that the alternative is also true. I will find out this truth in 3 months.

treblisreyd

Please see flow points, below.
View attachment 20971

You will hit mandatory retirement at age 62 per Title 10, U.S. Code, Section 14509, 14703, 12308.

You will also get kicked out at 28 years of commissioned service which also gets some people. Because of my age, I can stay in the Reserve as an O4 until I reach 62 ?

If you 2XFOS for O4 you will be ADSEP'd but can request a Continuation Board. I know at least two people (both 1835's) who have been ADSEP'd from the Reserve because they did not make O4 after their second try.

Best way to track all this this is with a spreadsheet (See attached). Download. In B2 enter your commission date (YYYY-MM-DD). Then, drag that value down to B30 so that B3, B4, etc. increment by one year. Enter your age in D2 and drag that value down to D30. In E2 enter your current total years of qualifying service as of your commissioning date. Drag that value down to E30. After this, adjust the yellow row at row 30 and instead highlight the row where you are 62.

This will give you an idea of how old you will be at certain time frames as well as when you will be eligible for promotion to O4.

I took a swag at your age and assumed you will get commissioned in 2020. Based on those, I filled in the spreadsheet for you as a good swag. The only thing that will change is your commission date for O3/LT. Mine changed by a month or so, but this is still good swag.

Looks like you will hit ~25 years of commissioned service before mando retirement at 62.

View attachment 20973
Thanks for your in-depth review, but the selection board convenes in 2019.

treblisreyd

regarding advancing to the next board. Perhaps you have never heard of that (neither did I), but I have to go by what my Recruiter says. In addition, he pointed out that this is how he got selected - during the subsequent board.

Goodfou

regarding advancing to the next board. Perhaps you have never heard of that (neither did I), but I have to go by what my Recruiter says. In addition, he pointed out that this is how he got selected - during the subsequent board.

Based on your posts, I think you have a realistic outlook on the situation. I was selected as an alternate as a 12+ year 1st class. It took about 9 months (advanced to CPO during that time) before I received word that I was moved to “select” status. It was my 7th commissioning package, although first DCO package. Just another data point for you to consider.

On another note, Rufio is an experienced recruiter that knows what he is talking about. Your package is screened by your recruiter, forwarded to processors at the local NRD, sent to the board. Then, if you are selected, it is reviewed for legal issues prior to notification of selection. I guess it is possible your NRD, calls their package review a “so-called” board and only forwards the best packages to Millington. I don’t know but the above flow was my experience and likely what Rufio is referring to.

treblisreyd

Based on your posts, I think you have a realistic outlook on the situation. I was selected as an alternate as a 12+ year 1st class. It took about 9 months (advanced to CPO during that time) before I received word that I was moved to “select” status. It was my 7th commissioning package, although first DCO package. Just another data point for you to consider.

On another note, Rufio is an experienced recruiter that knows what he is talking about. Your package is screened by your recruiter, forwarded to processors at the local NRD, sent to the board. Then, if you are selected, it is reviewed for legal issues prior to notification of selection. I guess it is possible your NRD, calls their package review a “so-called” board and only forwards the best packages to Millington. I don’t know but the above flow was my experience and likely what Rufio is referring to.
Thanks for being transparent as I do realize that this is a tough process.
As mentioned, unless my Recruiter was lying, I'm certain I went to board, and was reviewed by Senior Officers. My former recruiter was very straight forward with me, and didn't cut corners. So, go figure if he was just "juicing my bones." I also shared this outcome with my current recruiter and she provides no rebuttal. Yet, I know it's important to take note since that response came from an experienced recruiter, so no push-back here. Just sharing what I've learned throughout the process. Knowing how straight - forward recruiters are, I would also be surprised that he would send me to MEPS (Navy dollars), spend time with me on several occasions filling out paperwork, screening me through NASIS, and ensuring that I'm kept informed even after the board convened w/o a solid intent. I would imagine most recruiters have more to do considering the hundreds of applicants that go through the system. Maybe I'm wrong. I don't know.

Goodfou

Good luck! If it doesn’t work out, is Warrant or LDO an option for you?
I believe LDO is a no-go after 14 or 16 years TIS.

Correct me if I’m wrong but I think the SELRES Suppo LDO/CWO program has been discontinued.

On another note, the SELRES LDO/CWO community has been hurting so bad for qualified applicants they are regularly approving TIS waivers. A few years ago, my buddie got picked up for 6335 LDO at 19 1/2 years.

treblisreyd

Correct me if I’m wrong but I think the SELRES Suppo LDO/CWO program has been discontinued.

On another note, the SELRES LDO/CWO community has been hurting so bad for qualified applicants they are regularly approving TIS waivers. A few years ago, my buddie got picked up for 6335 LDO at 19 1/2 years.
Even though I have a ton of experience working with aircraft of various types, I've never worked in maintenance. I probably wouldn't fit in with the 6335 crowd. Unless I suddently start prepping for that, I would be lost.