• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

different syllabus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Falcaner

DCA "Don't give up the ship"
At a recent all hands meeting hear in VT-27 out skipper mentioned that there was a recent syllabus change. And apparently I am one of the first people on the new syllabus. He also mentioned that for those of us on the new syllabus when we get to advanced we would only be graded on advanced when selecting aircraft. I was curious is this any different from before? And if anyone is "in the know" as to how this might or might not affect my standing when selecting an aircraft??

Edited by - falcaner on 04/17/2002 21:55:40

Jack

I'm not sure how the helo or prop communities do things but I can shed some light on how the selection process CURRENTLY works on the jet community - specifically Meridian.

You complete Primary with your required NSS and select jets... You come here and complete Intermediate in the T-2 (if you are not a TS guy/gal). You then go down the hall and complete Advanced in the T-45C. The things that factor into your selection are your Intermediate ground school grades, your Intermediate Flights grades, your Advanced ground school grades, and your Advanced Flight grades. The ground school grades account for something near 25% of this total. The Intermediate Flight grades count for another 25% and the Advanced Flight grades make up the remaining 50%. This is what is used for aircraft selection purposes. As far as I know your Primary grades go out the window after you get here.
I do not know for sure that the 25-25-50% breakdown is exactly correct but I know the proportions (sp?) are pretty accurate. Clear as mud right?

jec

cooley4277

It's the same for props. Your primary score counts for your selection and then goes down the drain. I'm not sure if they ever use your intermediate scores for anything. But as far as P-3 selection, they told us that andvanced ground school (which is probably the easiest thing you'll ever do) is 25% and flight grades are 75%. You select your location based on that and get assigned a squadron as you finish up in the RAG. Just courious...what's new about the "new" syllabus?

Dawgfan

Pending
pilot
quote:
You select your location based on that and get assigned a squadron as you finish up in the RAG.

So your advanced NSS has some bearing on what sqdr you get after JAX?

Falcaner

DCA "Don't give up the ship"
quote:what's new about the "new" syllabus?

To be honest I am not too sure. All I know is that the "new" Master Ciriculum guide is blue instead of red, and it has a different date on it. This is supposed to put us on the "new" syllabus. But it has the same grading system and the same events, so you got me on that one

Mahler

I'm confused on something. If you select props, isn't the P-3 the only airframe you can go to??? Isn't the E-2/C-2 considered a different pipeline??? If so, it shouldn't matter what grades you get in Props, as long as you pass, because you'll be flying the P-3 no matter what.

James

cooley4277

If you get jet scores you can get jets or E2/C2's. You can also get anything else. But you have to get jet scores to get jets (duh) and E2/C2 (carrier quals). Props is a totally different pipeline than E2/C2. If you select props, you go through advanced Maritime in CC, then on to Jax. But if you get E2/C2, you go through an adjusted prop syllabus at CC, then go on to Meridian and fly jets and carrier qualilify, etc, then go on to the e2/c2 RAG, etc.

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
quote:
I'm confused on something. If you select props, isn't the P-3 the only airframe you can go to??? Isn't the E-2/C-2 considered a different pipeline??? If so, it shouldn't matter what grades you get in Props, as long as you pass, because you'll be flying the P-3 no matter what.

James,

Yes, if you select Props, you will fly the P3.

Grades matter in Advanced, to the extent that you want to do well enough to choose the location you are going to be based out of for your first squadron. You will put in your "dream sheet" and rank you choices. Then the grades will be tallied for you winging class, and based on the ranking, and what is available, you will get told where you are going to go to.

You get to the FRS, and during the 3rd phase the detailer sends down which specific squadrons need pilots. You look at the deployment schedules, and where each squadron is currently at in it (ie on deployment, on home cycle, about to deploy...) and you and your buddies get to hash it out on who gets what. Lots of "gouge" floats around the FRS, this VP squadron is the best, this one sucks, etc.

For myself, there were 5 people in my FRS class with orders to Hawaii, two slots for VP4, two slots for VP9 and one slot for VP47. Only one guy wanted 47, I wanted 4, and the other 3 wanted 9. So they basically flipped a coin between them. Odd man out lost. You make up your own rules, wrestle each other, whatever.

Also, during the FRS, you can "swap" orders with someone else. If you reconsider, and don't want those Jax orders, and you find someone whoe has lets say orders to Hawaii, then you guys switch.

The final note is that while still in Advanced you also decide if you are going to go VQ or VP, you put that on your dream sheet also. But, if they need some VQ pilots (aka fags), and your grades don't cut it, then you might just get VQ.

Oh well, should be clear as mud now.... so, grades DO matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.