• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Depth perception mega thread

E6BFlightComp

you guys are the rarity, many military facilities will not see civilians, and with reductions in military medical facilities this could be more common.
The thing is this guy was a privatized Optometrist but with "Military Experience." I had to do some heavy research to make sure he would even be applicable but he owned his own little place off of the Vegas strip. Definitely worth the 5 hour drive ?

exNavyOffRec

The thing is this guy was a privatized Optometrist but with "Military Experience." I had to do some heavy research to make sure he would even be applicable but he owned his own little place off of the Vegas strip. Definitely worth the 5 hour drive ?

very lucky, others have been denied under the same circumstances

Hey all,

I'm a 1/C MIDN who put in for SNA and is getting ready for my flight physical. I went to an ophthalmologist a few years ago because I knew I had some issues with depth perception and I struggled with the Randot Stereo test. I'm concerned about how this will affect my flight physical as I know SNAs need to pass the Randot or one of the other tests they use for depth perception.

Is there any way I can improve my depth perception in order to prepare for the physical ? Currently I'm trying to acquire a Randot test for my personal use in order to practice and hopefully get better at it.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Luckyflyer

Hey all,

I'm a 1/C MIDN who put in for SNA and is getting ready for my flight physical. I went to an ophthalmologist a few years ago because I knew I had some issues with depth perception and I struggled with the Randot Stereo test. I'm concerned about how this will affect my flight physical as I know SNAs need to pass the Randot or one of the other tests they use for depth perception.

Is there any way I can improve my depth perception in order to prepare for the physical ? Currently I'm trying to acquire a Randot test for my personal use in order to practice and hopefully get better at it.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Can't hurt to go to an optometrist/ophthalmologist and do their test. Give you an idea on where you stand and they can probably offer some advice on taking the randot

miss1ng

pilot
Hey all, I was wondering if anyone had insight if the depth perception test is administered at NAMI during the initial OCS flight physical. I've been searching around and only found 1 post detailing the physical and he didn't mention depth perception.

I'm also curious because I didn't go to MEPS. I had a few connections that let me get my eye exams done at MCAS Mira Mar. The corpsman who administered it did 2 different tests, one was the Randot (glasses and book) to which he stopped me half way and told me to use this other machine, which was some machine I look into and pick a dot out of 4.

I'm just curious which one is done at NAMI if at all?

Chris94

CWO selected
Hey all, I was wondering if anyone had insight if the depth perception test is administered at NAMI during the initial OCS flight physical. I've been searching around and only found 1 post detailing the physical and he didn't mention depth perception.

I'm also curious because I didn't go to MEPS. I had a few connections that let me get my eye exams done at MCAS Mira Mar. The corpsman who administered it did 2 different tests, one was the Randot (glasses and book) to which he stopped me half way and told me to use this other machine, which was some machine I look into and pick a dot out of 4.

I'm just curious which one is done at NAMI if at all?
They do the randot at NAMI or something similar to the book.

Thunder

Does anyone know what a passing score is on the randot test. I have 20/20 vision but when I got to MEPS I was surprised at how poorly I did on the depth perception test. I asked my recruiter and he said I passed but I feel as though he isn't right because the test administrator cut me off on the test after not getting very far. How do you interpret the randot score and what is considered passing?

Chris94

CWO selected
Does anyone know what a passing score is on the randot test. I have 20/20 vision but when I got to MEPS I was surprised at how poorly I did on the depth perception test. I asked my recruiter and he said I passed but I feel as though he isn't right because the test administrator cut me off on the test after not getting very far. How do you interpret the randot score and what is considered passing?
Are they doing the randot test at MEPS now? I remember doing the weird rows of circles.

FlyerHopeful6

I remember stumbling across this thread in the past, and saying to myself "I hope this never happens to me."

And then, today, it did.

They said I have 20/50 L, 20/20 R, and no depth perception. Just 6 months ago I had an optometrist tell me 20/20 L, 20/15 R, full depth perception. Also, as an airborne photographer, I think I'd be keenly aware of any deficiencies in these categories.

I've already told my recruiter all of this, and emailed my optometrist regarding challenging these findings. Will that be sufficient?
What ended up happening?

Skywalker

Student Naval Aviator
What ended up happening?
I would hit all sorts of trials and tribulations following that, including with my eyes. That was... holy shit, 7 years ago?

The Navy no longer uses that particular depth perception test. I'm currently in the pipeline to fly E-2s, in ground school for the T-44 at VT-31 now.

FlyerHopeful6

I would hit all sorts of trials and tribulations following that, including with my eyes. That was... holy shit, 7 years ago?

The Navy no longer uses that particular depth perception test. I'm currently in the pipeline to fly E-2s, in ground school for the T-44 at VT-31 now.
Man. That's awesome that it ended up working out though! I'm just super paranoid about getting DQ'd at NAMI. Really don't wanna spend the next 8 years as some non-aviation officer

Jt123456

Just went back for my follow-up flight physical to get my eyes rechecked post-6 months LASIK. Eyes are both seeing 20/20 and was able to read all the charts, which was great since my first flight physical I was told my eyes would not correct to 20/20 even after LASIK. I'm in NROTC about to graduate and commission in a month with a pilot slot. However, I failed the depth perception. I was given the little book with the glasses and also the looked into the machine. I was able to get a few of the "circles" correct, but not many. Eye doc was very patient but after more tests he told me I have a strabismus in one eye. Fortunately I was able to qualify for NFO, but I was told pilot was off the table and there's no fixing this. There's been so many ups and downs just to get this far and I'm not one to give up.

My question is, is there anything I can still do? I know I'm on a time crunch with commissioning coming up. I'm willing to do whatever it takes. If I can find a way to pass the depth perception tests, is the strabismus still disqualifying? The only thing I can see in the waiver guide is "history of strabismus surgery". Would it help to see a civilian doc?

Anthony2000

PRO-REC Y SNA
Just went back for my follow-up flight physical to get my eyes rechecked post-6 months LASIK. Eyes are both seeing 20/20 and was able to read all the charts, which was great since my first flight physical I was told my eyes would not correct to 20/20 even after LASIK. I'm in NROTC about to graduate and commission in a month with a pilot slot. However, I failed the depth perception. I was given the little book with the glasses and also the looked into the machine. I was able to get a few of the "circles" correct, but not many. Eye doc was very patient but after more tests he told me I have a strabismus in one eye. Fortunately I was able to qualify for NFO, but I was told pilot was off the table and there's no fixing this. There's been so many ups and downs just to get this far and I'm not one to give up.

My question is, is there anything I can still do? I know I'm on a time crunch with commissioning coming up. I'm willing to do whatever it takes. If I can find a way to pass the depth perception tests, is the strabismus still disqualifying? The only thing I can see in the waiver guide is "history of strabismus surgery". Would it help to see a civilian doc?

I would go to an eye doc and ask them if it’s something that’s able to be corrected