• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Degree and Navy Post Grad school for IWOs

mbraesicke

Ranger
It's my understanding that later in an IWO's career he/she may have the opportunity to go to the Navy post grad school and get a masters in 1 of the 3 or 4 programs. Do IWO's who don't have a bachelors degree in a technical field not get the opportunity to do this, or does your training as an IWO satisfy the pre-reqs for the different programs? I've seen people on here selected for IW that didn't have tech degrees (history, english, poli sci, etc) and was wondering how/if Navy post grad school would work for them.

P3 F0

None
Along with what PSW said, keep in mind there are several avenues for a postgrad degree. If you're looking for a tech degree, NPS is your ticket. If you're looking for something else, there's the Naval War College in Providence, Army Staff College at Leavenworth, and Air Force College at Maxwell. Any of them will be happy to have you, as long as your timing works and you sell it to your detailer. You'll knock out your JPME, plus walk away with a degree, if that's what you want. And no one will care about your undergrad degree.

kstrick7

Rather than starting anew thread, I guess I'll post my question here...

I may be getting ahead of myself here, but if I get the opportunity to attend OCS and become an IWO, I would like to attend NPS for the Comp Sci Masters. The website says that one-year of calculus-based physics is required, however I have 1 semester calc-based and 1 semester non-calc-based physics. I'm getting a BS in Math in April '15, would what I have taken help out with this physics requirement? (I would rather not to have to take physics II again before I graduate, but will if it will help)
I know it's a long ways off and things could change but the opportunity to attend NPS is one of the reasons (one of the many reasons) I want to join the Navy. Has anyone had a similar situation as an IWO with a limited technical background or non-tech degree? Thanks for any input

BigRed389

None

I may be getting ahead of myself here, but if I get the opportunity to attend OCS and become an IWO, I would like to attend NPS for the Comp Sci Masters. The website says that one-year of calculus-based physics is required, however I have 1 semester calc-based and 1 semester non-calc-based physics. I'm getting a BS in Math in April '15, would what I have taken help out with this physics requirement? (I would rather not to have to take physics II again before I graduate, but will if it will help)
I know it's a long ways off and things could change but the opportunity to attend NPS is one of the reasons (one of the many reasons) I want to join the Navy. Has anyone had a similar situation as an IWO with a limited technical background or non-tech degree? Thanks for any input

NPS is pretty "flexible" in admissions. They're more worried about whether or not you can handle the coursework. They offer refresher courses used to get people back up to speed. It's actually more common than not since most people show up with a very long break (>5 years) from academic work. I wouldn't worry about it if you just continue to do well.

kstrick7

NPS is pretty "flexible" in admissions. They're more worried about whether or not you can handle the coursework. They offer refresher courses used to get people back up to speed. It's actually more common than not since most people show up with a very long break (>5 years) from academic work. I wouldn't worry about it if you just continue to do well.

Thanks for the info!

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.

When the time comes, you fill out a relatively painless web application, send in your transcripts, and the admissions office will give you a 3-digit academic profile code (APC) for your coursework -- one digit for engineering/physics, one for math, one for overall GPA. Lower is better. If you don't meet the max APC required for your program, it goes to that program officer for a waiver. The program officer is usually a senior AD officer who has gone through that degree program once upon a time. As Big Red stated, they are generally generous with these so long as you demonstrate you had good grades. Personally, I'd be surprised if 1 semester of calc-based physics were a show-stopper in a comp sci program.