• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Defense Language Institute

exNavyOffRec

That's a key qualifier.... Some Intel agencies care almost nothing about foreign language skills. Even with the agencies that do care, it's usually not even the whole agency. You have to know which part you are applying for. I've seen plenty of disappointed new employees who don't get to use their language skills in the office they ended up in.

That is a good point, I was at a few career fairs with CIA recruiters and they really didn't care about people that could speak a foreign language, they wanted engineers that were US citizens, had high GPA's, the foreign language speakers were as one of them said "a dime a dozen" as they had no shortage of applications for people that spoke a foreign language.

SharkBait93

SharkBait
To echo what's already been said, Cryptologic Warfare Officers never have to use or speak a foreign language for our job. That said, regional, cultural and even language expertise on China is a valuable asset. You will be in charge of CTIs and will most likely work on the Asia-Pacific target set at some point (and we have a surprising amount of influence over our career paths, unlike many other officer communities). With the heavy favoring of STEM backgrounds, a lot of CWOs are very technically proficient but lack the political/regional knowledge as context. The hard part will be getting selected without a STEM background, but it can be done.

Also, being that most new CWOs are stationed at large civilian intelligence agencies (one in particular), you will have a lot of opportunity to network if that is your long-term goal. You might find that you like the Navy more.
Thank you for the info! I believe very early on in my discussion with my recruiter and some of my retired Navy contacts they mentioned something along those lines, too. I *may* get to use Chinese (some made it seem more possible than I know understand it actually is) but even if I'm not actively using the language just having the background knowledge in culture/history/international-relations fields will definitely prove useful.

And, to address some of the others' notes (I wish I could tag more than just one reply on here), Navy is my ultimate goal. I realize at some point one must retire and that's when I would possibly transition to one of those other groups, but right now it's not a Navy or Them deal. Right now it's Navy, it's just a matter of which type of officer would be best given my background.

IwannabeaPHROGdvr69

pilot
Bumping an old thread, has anyone used any DLI online/self study materials? I’m somewhat intermediate in French and want to see if there is an option to progress through DLI or some other resource before I get Rosetta Stone or something else.

Sorry to add to your conversation so late - but do any of you have knowledge about the DLPT? I'm scheduled to take it in July and all I've heard so far is there's no way of really preparing for it beyond basic language usage with native speakers. Does that hold true? I've taken other language tests and there's always some variation of a study guide for the specific test. All I've found for the DLPT is the familiarization guide (http://www.dliflc.edu/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/CM-Fam-Guide_MC_CBT2.pdf).
Also, I'm still in the process of submitting my application for OCS - point being I'm not yet in the USN though my ultimate goal is to be an Information Officer. If I pass my DLPT with a 3 or higher, do any of you know if that means I still head to more language training or if I would be able to start working right away? [Apologies if my wording is incorrect - I'm still new to all of this but I'm trying to learn the appropriate terms for everything].
I've taken the DLPT several times. I would read/listen to the news in your target language. Listen/Read from various news station. Also, read/listen to commercial advertisements. Things like store openings, food menus, ad for help wanted, or a news flash regarding some crime activity or recent sports win. For upper level material, i would read opinion articles from a variety of categories, such as medicine, art, technology, religion, justice etc. If you can comfortably understand the news, then you're at a level 2 on the DLPT scale. Only the last 3 questions on the DLPT, the answer is inferred. The rest of the questions on the test, the answer is clearly found in listening/reading passage and you should not have to make a leap/inference. Good luck!

Bumping an old thread, has anyone used any DLI online/self study materials? I’m somewhat intermediate in French and want to see if there is an option to progress through DLI or some other resource before I get Rosetta Stone or something else.
Rosetta stone is trash. Do not use it. See my response to Sharkbait93.