• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

DCOIC Gouge for those about to commission as a DCO

AMGunner

Heads up folks: there's a new DCOIC required uniform list as of last month. https://www.public.navy.mil/netc/NSTC/otcn/pdfs/DCOIC Uniform Inventory list JAN 2019.pdf

The changes that I noticed:
  • All Weather Coat (that's the double-breasted long coat) is now required all year.
  • NWU fleece liner is now required OCT-APR (note for the fleece liner, you may need a rank tab sewn on if it doesn't already come with it).

Thanks for sharing as this is very timely, I'm heading that way in several weeks and need to build out my seabag

Hair Warrior

Contributor
Haha. I am probably the reason the NWU fleece liner is now required. I didn’t have one - I just braved the cold. Didn’t find out until later that you can’t wear a knit cap or gloves with NWUs unless you’re also wearing outerwear over your NWUs. So nobody could wear the knit cap or gloves. It got cold. ?❄

Also, the fleece definitely does not come with the rank tab sewn on. Make sure you get the position right. Looks terrible if it’s off-position.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Didn’t find out until later that you can’t wear a knit cap or gloves with NWUs unless you’re also wearing outerwear over your NWUs. So nobody could wear the knit cap or gloves. It got cold. ?❄
Just think- one dipstick got paid to write that retarded piece of uniform policy and another idiot signed off on it. Nothing says military bearing like cold weather injury.

This frankly, but accurately worded post brought to you by the letters D, D, and the numbers 2, 1, 4.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
Just think- one dipstick got paid to write that retarded piece of uniform policy and another idiot signed off on it. Nothing says military bearing like cold weather injury.

This frankly, but accurately worded post brought to you by the letters D, D, and the numbers 2, 1, 4.
Nobody got a cold weather injury. We weren’t outside long enough. We were outside, however, when the ENS nurse was observed jumping over a puddle while marching in formation, instead of just stepping in the puddle. That act earned us a whole lecture series from the senior chiefs. This nurse also didn’t show up to DCOIC owning any uniform other than PTUs (don’t ask me why - still a mystery).

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Nobody got a cold weather injury. We weren’t outside long enough. We were outside, however, when the ENS nurse was observed jumping over a puddle while marching in formation, instead of just stepping in the puddle. That act earned us a whole lecture series from the senior chiefs. This nurse also didn’t show up to DCOIC owning any uniform other than PTUs (don’t ask me why - still a mystery).
It sounds like the CPOs at the schoolhouse were doing their jobs (and doing them well), which is to set a good example while teaching the DCOs basic military indoc- which includes carrying out orders and policies without badmouthing the detestable ones.

The puddle thing is a two-fold lesson: good discipline to not break formation because of a puddle, but also that better leadership would have figured out how to march the formation around the puddle.

I can see how somebody could slip through the cracks and make it up there with only their PTU. Normally a brand new DCO is supposed to get a sponsor at their NOSC to help with things like getting at least a few uniforms (driving up to a few hours if there is an exchange that far away or ordering online if need be). Usually the newly-commissioned DCOs were keen to not be "that guy/that girl" in their DCOIC class too. But nobody's perfect and mistakes happen.

ABMD

Bullets don't fly without Supply
Haha. I am probably the reason the NWU fleece liner is now required. I didn’t have one - I just braved the cold. Didn’t find out until later that you can’t wear a knit cap or gloves with NWUs unless you’re also wearing outerwear over your NWUs. So nobody could wear the knit cap or gloves. It got cold. ?❄

Also, the fleece definitely does not come with the rank tab sewn on. Make sure you get the position right. Looks terrible if it’s off-position.

Uniformity is a thing!

PettyOfficer212

Hi All,

Very quick question. I recently had to go to MEPS and perform a physical as the physical that was submitted with my package was outdated according to my recruiter. In short, how long does it take from N3M to determine medical suitability?

I was selected for Intel from the FY18 board and it looks as if most of you are already commissioned and drilling? This is the most frustrating process ever. I also have attempted to contact my recruiter but he and the officer processor for my district has not responded to phone calls and/or texts as of late. Help!!!!

Thanks in advance!

Hair Warrior

Contributor
Congrats, ENS (Sel) 212.

The hard part is over. Relax and appreciate your success for a minute!

N3M can take as little as a couple days (for me) or longer if you have a complex medical history. YMMV.

The paperwork you receive coming away from MEPS should go straight to N3M. Please keep copies for yourself (start this habit early- as an officer, people above and below you in the CoC will expect you to maintain your own records). Also provide copies to your recruiter (via approved channels, given the PII... since AMRDEC is down, ask your recruiter for guidance on transmitting them before you click send).

MEPS is good for two years.

Does this answer your question?

bryanteagle6

Throwing this out there - grain of salt. If you look at the current DCOIC schedule: May - Full, Jul - Full, SEP - couple open seats. If I get on the wait list for May, is it at all likely that I'd get into a slot? I was told, if you are on a wait list, you forfeit your actual seat in a different class. I don't want to get on a wait list and then lose my guaranteed seat in SEP.

Congrats, ENS (Sel) 212.

The hard part is over. Relax and appreciate your success for a minute!

N3M can take as little as a couple days (for me) or longer if you have a complex medical history. YMMV.

The paperwork you receive coming away from MEPS should go straight to N3M. Please keep copies for yourself (start this habit early- as an officer, people above and below you in the CoC will expect you to maintain your own records). Also provide copies to your recruiter (via approved channels, given the PII... since AMRDEC is down, ask your recruiter for guidance on transmitting them before you click send).

MEPS is good for two years.

Does this answer your question?

AMRDEC is up and running.