• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

DCO Supply Chances and Selections

Blue Horseshoe

Hello All

I’ve been reviewing this forum and there is a wealth of information available; thank you to everyone who has taken the time to post. First let me start off by saying that I am new to this so I apologize in advance if I'm in the wrong area or going about this improperly.

I would like to tap into the obvious experience each of you has to ascertain my competitiveness for a Direct Commission in the Navy Reserve Supply Corps. I’ve been considering attempting to join the Navy Reserve for years now and have seriously began investigating potential opportunities this year. After serious personal reflection and thought I’ve decided that this is something I definitely want to pursue. I have no misconceptions and accept that I most certainly would be deployed, probably overseas, if I’m fortunate enough to be accepted for this highest honor.

I’m a single male, thirty-five years old, no prior service, have two degrees from a four-year accredited college; one in business administration with a marketing concentration and another in Accounting. I graduated from college in 1996 with a 3.5 GPA in Accounting and 3.9 GPA in Business Administration. I believe my overall GPA was a 2.9. This was a liberal arts college and unfortunately I didn’t become fully focused until later in my education but I did make the Dean’s List my senior year. I was an honor roll student in high school, a member of the National Honor Society, highly involved in extracurricular etc. Physical qualifications won’t be an issue.

I’m a small business owner. Eleven years ago I started a company, totally wet behind the ears, and have gained solid business experience and acumen ever since. As CEO I’ve grown our company from one owned and operated franchised restaurant, to six, with over 375 team members and sales in excess of $14 million. The concept is a recognizable national restaurant chain. I’ve gained genuine on-hands experience in all facets of business administration from conceptualization, to business planning, assembling investment groups, obtaining financing, budgeting, site selection, development and construction, opening, team building, guest services, human resources, finance, accounting, legal, marketing, training, operations, etc. Over the years through my business I’ve been involved with local area chambers of commerce and various charitable organizations etc.. I’m confident that I can obtain letters of recommendation from a retired US congressman of 20+ years, the president of my college, a retired Navy Captain, and the CEO of a publically traded national restaurant chain with over 550 locations nationwide. While I don’t have a graduate degree, or the best cumulative undergraduate GPA in the world, I believe I have a lot of intimate business management experience to offer, as well as the leadership skills I’ve acquired through the years, and am certain that I will interview strong. I’m ambitious, disciplined, an avid runner, and believe that I would fit-in to the military structure well. I’m respectful, and hold our military men and women in the highest regard, and want to do my part to serve my country.

I’ve opened a dialogue with the local Officer Recruiter and am currently in the process of updating my resume. Any advice that can be offered will be most appreciated as well as realistic expectations of my level of competitiveness for this program. I welcome criticism based on your experience with the Navy Reserve DCO programs and look forward to hearing constructive advice for my potential and recommendations on how to proceed. Feel free to ask questions if you require further information.

Thank you for your comments and congratulations to those of you already selected!

bucki4lyfe

Michigan Sucks
Well, the one thing I can say is that they'll ask you in your interview what your views are on deploying, and that they want people who are willing to accept that from the beginning. As has been said on these threads before...it's like the old Simpson's joke...The Navy Reserve...the nation's 17th line of defense--between the League of Women's Voter's and the Mississippi National Guard!

Well, times have changed and people are going overseas much more.

I guess you could ask yourself, which sandbox do I want? East or West? :icon_tong

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
...they'll ask you in your interview what your views are on deploying, and that they want people who are willing to accept that from the beginning.

I cannot stress this enough. In all (3) of my interviews the question was raised by my interviewers.

People need to express in their interviews that they are aware and are prepared for the absolute worse case scenario: deploying to Afghanistan or to Iraq for a period of time.

It's not a guarantee that you will be deployed, it's only a possibility; it's not a guarantee that if you are deployed, that you will go to Afghanistan or to Iraq, it's only a possibility.

With this said, as long as the possibility exists, go into it with your eyes wide open.

SavvyPR

LCDR, Navy Reserve PAO
I cannot stress this enough. In all (3) of my interviews the question was raised by my interviewers.

People need to express in their interviews that they are aware and are prepared for the absolute worse case scenario: deploying to Afghanistan or to Iraq for a period of time.

It's not a guarantee that you will be deployed, it's only a possibility; it's not a guarantee that if you are deployed, that you will go to Afghanistan or to Iraq, it's only a possibility.

With this said, as long as the possibility exists, go into it with your eyes wide open.

+3. It was the same for all three of my interviews as well. It was pretty much the first question after all the "get-to-know-you" questions. I answered honestly, that while being deployed wasn't something I WANTED to do, but if I was asked to go I'd be honored to serve my country, honored that the Navy felt I was the best person for the job and that I'd do what needed to be done for the Navy and my country.

I think they appreciated the honesty that I didn't just say "sure" because that's what I knew they wanted to hear. That and I understood the possibility that it might (WILL) happen. Especially since I plan to retire from the reserves (or active duty once my DH leaves active duty himself in 10 years).

Just make sure whatever you tell them is the TRUTH. No one wants to serve in the sandbox or anywhere else with someone who said "sure" just because that's what the interviewer wanted to hear and then isn't prepared to give it their all when it does happen.

Blue Horseshoe

Thanks for your feedback SavvyPR, bubblehead, and bucki4lyfe. Very useful information. I've definitely come to terms with the probability of being deployed should I be fortunate enough to be selected; and thats an excellent point SavvyPR on how you addressed the issue when it was brought up during your interviews...thanks for sharing.

Can any of you provide some feedback on my qualifications as a candidate for the Supply Corps or do I need to hear from someone that has taken that particular designation path? I realize we're only dealing with the on-the-surface paper qualifications that I've posted here but I'd like to have some idea how much weight that component carries vs. the interviews etc. I imagine the interview results are weighed heavily in the Board's considerations and I'm confident I can interview well; I'd just like to know if my experience and education is in the ballpark of what could be considered competitive in the Navy Reserve Supply Corps DCO program.

Any insight is appreciated.

SavvyPR

LCDR, Navy Reserve PAO
Thanks for your feedback SavvyPR, bubblehead, and bucki4lyfe. Very useful information. I've definitely come to terms with the probability of being deployed should I be fortunate enough to be selected; and thats an excellent point SavvyPR on how you addressed the issue when it was brought up during your interviews...thanks for sharing.

Can any of you provide some feedback on my qualifications as a candidate for the Supply Corps or do I need to hear from someone that has taken that particular designation path? I realize we're only dealing with the on-the-surface paper qualifications that I've posted here but I'd like to have some idea how much weight that component carries vs. the interviews etc. I imagine the interview results are weighed heavily in the Board's considerations and I'm confident I can interview well; I'd just like to know if my experience and education is in the ballpark of what could be considered competitive in the Navy Reserve Supply Corps DCO program.

Any insight is appreciated.

I can't help you with Supply, but I do know that your chances are guaranteed to be 0 if you don't apply. Check with your recruiter... they won't spend the time on you and allow you to apply if they don't think you are at least somewhat competitive.

das

Contributor
Blue Horseshoe, welcome.

It's very difficult to answer "what are my chances" type questions, because your "chances" vary with the candidate pool at your selection board, and with the Navy's needs at the time.

It looks like you'd be a good candidate...at least, it doesn't look like there are things that would make you NOT a good candidate. Leadership and management experience are viewed very favorably, as would being a successful business owner with the knowledge that implies. Strong letters of recommendation, interview(s), and motivational statement all come into play. Of course, the desire to serve is a key element as well. The Navy uses the "whole person" concept when reviewing your application.

As SavvyPR correctly said, an officer recruiter generally won't work with you unless they feel you're a competitive candidate in the current landscape, and, of course, your chances are zero if you don't try. ;-)

RM3(SW)

USNR Supply: Good, Bad, and the Ugly (Bonus: Who's going for DCO Supply now)

Anyone out there submit a package for the July 27th supply board?

RM3(SW)

supply dco

My recruiter called me on Wednesday, I got selected Supply DCO. The most humbling experience of my life with out question. If there is anyone who will be going up for the next Supply DCO Board I would be happy to exchange some of my do's and do nots that have been shared with me.

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
Selected for DCO Supply

My recruiter called me on Wednesday, I got selected Supply DCO. The most humbling experience of my life with out question. If there is anyone who will be going up for the next Supply DCO Board I would be happy to exchange some of my do's and do nots that have been shared with me.
congrats!!

bucki4lyfe

Michigan Sucks

That's awesome news...welcome to the fleet.

RealEstateDave

USNR Supply: Good, Bad, and the Ugly (Bonus: Who's going for DCO Supply now)

I'm currently in the USNR Supply Direct Commission application process. I was hoping that someone could provide insight into the USNR Supply career path and an overview of good, the bad, and the ugly. It would be great to know what I'm getting myself into before signing my life away. Thank you in advance for your feedback.

Blue Horseshoe

Supply DCO

Congratulations RM3(SW)! What a feeling that must have been when you received the news and I'm sure continues to be. I'm going up for the next Supply DCO Board and am working on my package now. Any information and advice you can offer from your experience would be most appreciated. Thanks for your time!

lait1

Hello everyone.

This thread is full of some great information (from what I have read so far). I have been working with my recruiter since Febuary to submit my package for Supply DCO. I found out last week from my recruiter that I have been selected.

From the emails I have started receiving, I would be receiving my commission in November (sometime). Until then, I just found out I have to go through the "scrolls process" and get my security check and medical stuff completed. I am currently 31 years old. When I was a teenager, I broke my hand (hair line crack) and was also in the hospital for my appendix. Both of these incidents took place in 2 different cities and within 2 years apart. (Note: I am also prior enlisted and had documented these incidents originally when I served from 1996 - 2000). My question is this, am I going to need to find out what "hospitals/doctors offices" I was treated at?

Also, I have a very stupid question. What does NOSC stand for? I realize I am attempting to come off of a 9 year sabatical with the Navy, however I am not familar with this term.