• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

DCO Supply _Package Submission Q&a

LNH2525

Hello all,

I’m currently getting my package together but have a few questions.

1. motivational essay~ should I focus on just why I would make a good fit? Like similar to a college entrance type of essay? Tips on focus points
  2. letter of recommendation~ Does rank/military recommendations matter here more than employer/civilian? Should the response from the drafters focus on traits that are found in such forms as the dd 370, interview sheet, etc.?

I want to give appropriate attention to what things the board is looking for so I can try to highlight my skills/attributes. Any advice/tips would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Hello all,

1. motivational essay~ should I focus on just why I would make a good fit? Like similar to a college entrance type of essay? Tips on focus points
  2. letter of recommendation~ Does rank/military recommendations matter here more than employer/civilian? Should the response from the drafters focus on traits that are found in such forms as the dd 370, interview sheet, etc.?

I want to give appropriate attention to what things the board is looking for so I can try to highlight my skills/attributes. Any advice/tips would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Ask your recruiter, search the forums and then come back and ask.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
You are a recruiter. Should we expect your answer will be fundamentally different from any other experienced recruiter? You might even be more experienced than the OPs recruiter. I might be wrong but it seems that less than 42% of your posts regarding recruiting questions rate the benefit of your experience. Someday you may find yourself with a moderator imposed screen name more befitting you contributions.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
You are a recruiter. Should we expect your answer will be fundamentally different from any other experienced recruiter? You might even be more experienced than the OPs recruiter. I might be wrong but it seems that less than 42% of your posts regarding recruiting questions rate the benefit of your experience. Someday you may find yourself with a moderator imposed screen name more befitting you contributions.

I am ALL for helping applicants, especially the active duty/fleet applicants who might not have a recruiter - but they need to learn how to use their resources first before asking for help.

If the poster exhausted options or simply has a crappy recruiter (SURPRISE!) more than 42% odds I will step in.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I am ALL for helping applicants, especially the active duty/fleet applicants who might not have a recruiter - but they need to learn how to use their resources first before asking for help.

If the poster exhausted options or simply has a crappy recruiter (SURPRISE!) more than 42% odds I will step in.
Don't bother. No wait, you haven't, again.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Hello all,

Regards,
On question 1 RecruitingGuru is right. There is a thread with more info than can possible be communicated in a reply to your question. If you haven't found it yet, look in the OCS Forum and find the Motivational Statement Mega Thread. If you are applying to Aviation, SWO and even Subs, the Board will only scan your statement. Don't sweat it. Just the basics. Why you want to serve and why you are a good candidate. If you have some problem with your app. You might want to address it in your statement. But before doing so, talk to your recruiter. He will tell you how big a deal it is and if there is another way to address it.

Question 2. Don't send more than three. Most important is that the folks writing truly know you. Closely knowing you is more important then rank or title. Letters from your father's college buddy who is a retired O-6 and doesn't know you will not help. The Board can sniff them out. Don't waste their time. A neighbor that watched you grow up because you were always playing with their kid and having lunch at his house, or a scout leader, coach, church leader, or work mentor that has known you for some years are your best bets.

Good luck.

ABMD

Bullets don't fly without Supply
Hello all,

Regards,

Agree to what @wink said, also there are a few other threads in the Reserve sub-forum specifically for Supply DCO. Feel free to DM me too

LNH2525

Thank you. I did find some forum discussions helpful. However, most of these forums are old and not all of them have been updated with current (last 2 years) of info so, I wanted to start a new thread that directly asks the questions. Yes, of course I speak to my recruiter but he is in charge of the entire east (eastern) region (or whatever) so, I thought I may be able to get more useful info and on a quick turnaround.

LNH2525

On question 1 RecruitingGuru is right. There is a thread with more info than can possible be communicated in a reply to your question. If you haven't found it yet, look in the OCS Forum and find the Motivational Statement Mega Thread. If you are applying to Aviation, SWO and even Subs, the Board will only scan your statement. Don't sweat it. Just the basics. Why you want to serve and why you are a good candidate. If you have some problem with your app. You might want to address it in your statement. But before doing so, talk to your recruiter. He will tell you how big a deal it is and if there is another way to address it.

Question 2. Don't send more than three. Most important is that the folks writing truly know you. Closely knowing you is more important then rank or title. Letters from your father's college buddy who is a retired O-6 and doesn't know you will not help. The Board can sniff them out. Don't waste their time. A neighbor that watched you grow up because you were always playing with their kid and having lunch at his house, or a scout leader, coach, church leader, or work mentor that has known you for some years are your best bets.

Good luck.

Awesome! Great tips and information. Yes, I found Motivational Statement Mega Thread and it has been very helpful. And great tips through the posts on that thread. I also found that rank does matter!!! From what I can tell most of the candidates are submitting LOR's with at least 0-5 or 0-4. I totally agree with you. It is more beneficial to submit 3-4 great LOR's than trying to get by with one from someone who doesn't know you.

I am trying to figure out the process as I go along too so all this is very helpful in my case.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Awesome! Great tips and information. Yes, I found Motivational Statement Mega Thread and it has been very helpful. And great tips through the posts on that thread. I also found that rank does matter!!! From what I can tell most of the candidates are submitting LOR's with at least 0-5 or 0-4. I totally agree with you. It is more beneficial to submit 3-4 great LOR's than trying to get by with one from someone who doesn't know you.

I am trying to figure out the process as I go along too so all this is very helpful in my case.
I am afraid that I had forgotten you were a DCO for Supply. In your case rank would matter for your community interview. More senior Chop the better. But the board knows not everyone can swing it.

As to what you gleaned from any other info about rank and LORs, your conclusion is incorrect. No one can know the value of a O-5 over O-3 LOR because the Board never told them that O-5 LOR put them over the top. They just don't say. Unless that senior officer knows you well, it just doesn't matter in the case of general LORs. That is a fact.

ABMD

For LOR unless you're prior service I don't think it matters, they usually want 2 professional and 1-2 character references. I had 2 bosses from work, Pastor at my church and a retired flag that has known me for 15+ years. Now, when it comes to your O-Interviews (2 officers), rank matters. The higher the rank the better and they need to be SELRES Supply O's (not FTS).

There are some ORs out there that don't under the DCO program (I had at least 2 like that). The last OR I had was lights-out fantastic, and I was selected after following his advice and direction (like interviewing again with O6s). When you speak to your recruiter again ask them for the DCO Applicant check-list (or something to that matter) it will help you track what docs have been completed and what is still outstanding (something my first 3 ORs didn't do).

ABMD

Hello all,

Regards,

I forgot to add, when it comes to your LOR your recruiter should ask you who is going to write them and you provide their contact info. The OR should correspond with the LOR write(s) directly and provide them with the necessary forms to complete.

exNavyOffRec

I forgot to add, when it comes to your LOR your recruiter should ask you who is going to write them and you provide their contact info. The OR should correspond with the LOR write(s) directly and provide them with the necessary forms to complete.

We would supply the forms to the applicant and the email/mailing address for them to be returned to, applicant dropping them off isn't really an issue, we just wanted them to come back to us.