• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

DCO Intel Community Gouge (Bonus: "The Long Blue Wait" in FY09)

bryanteagle6

Has anyone heard or seen the type of mobilization billets that are being filled right now in the IDC? Maybe with first time mobilization O-2 or O-3 billets and even O-4 billets? Length of time, location, basic job?! An officer told me a year ago there was a 60 day MOB for a INTEL O-3 RES in england, but that was a year ago. Any updates with A'stan supposedly closing shop!?

das

Contributor
The Afghanistan MOBs are drying up, but there are still other OCONUS MOBs...think Djibouti, Bahrain, UK, Germany (some rarer than others). There are also CONUS MOBs for INTEL JOs, but they are VERY rare and snapped up quickly. I can say that the last two reserve INTEL O-3s I know that MOBed in the last year both went to Afghanistan in Special Operations capacities. I just completed a CONUS MOB in a Special Operations capacity, but was initially tapped to be an IO Planner in Afghanistan. I watch all the mobilization opportunities, and it's been a while since I have seen anything for IDC JOs.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
Not sure where to put 1835 gouge except this old thread, but word is that Reserve NIOBC is changing. After DCOIC, intel ensigns commissioned in 2017 and beyond will also do four weeks of intro NIOBC full time in Texas early in year one, then complete the rest of NIOBC modules via computer over many drill weekends. I think NMITC at Dam Neck in year two in unchanged. Earning PQS/IDWO pin still takes approx. 18-24 mo. start to finish.

bryanteagle6

Not sure where to put 1835 gouge except this old thread, but word is that Reserve NIOBC is changing. After DCOIC, intel ensigns commissioned in 2017 and beyond will also do four weeks of intro NIOBC full time in Texas early in year one, then complete the rest of NIOBC modules via computer over many drill weekends. I think NMITC at Dam Neck in year two in unchanged. Earning PQS/IDWO pin still takes approx. 18-24 mo. start to finish.

Can we read this rumor officially somewhere?

unbroken

Naval officer
I have no idea. I heard it verbally.

I have heard that the reserve course is on hold while they reorganize/rebrand/reconstruct it. They are not currently funding reservists to go through the active duty course, and do not anticipate restarting the reservist course until the summer, earliest. At least that's what our training officer was informed by Dam Neck and regional folks. I am not clear on how it is being redone, but given that there is consistent guidance that it is being rebuilt, it would not surprise me if @Hair Warrior's intel is closer than not.

And fwiw, there are still some of us 2016 commissions who are now presumably waiting over a half-year to start NIOBC, if not longer. So not just affecting the 2017 commissions.

fieldrat

Fully Qualified 1815
Awww, don't feel bad. CWOBC didn't have a reserve option. Had to burn six weeks, but now it's done.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
From what I was told, new reserve NIOBC is more like CWOBC. It (NIOBC) will require four weeks in residence. I heard it's in Texas but not which installation, though I can guess. Part of the problem I'm told the IWC reserve is trying to solve is to bring all reserve intel O's up to a minimum standard of proficiency.

unbroken

Naval officer
From what I was told, new reserve NIOBC is more like CWOBC. It (NIOBC) will require four weeks in residence. I heard it's in Texas but not which installation, though I can guess. Part of the problem I'm told the IWC reserve is trying to solve is to bring all reserve intel O's up to a minimum standard of proficiency.

Did you get a sense of when they were planning to restart it? I've been hearing next summer, which I assume would be the revised curriculum that you suggest (or something similar)

Also, just curious, where are you getting this info? Someone in your unit or regional/Dam Neck?

Hair Warrior

Contributor
Given that you tell me you're on a pause today, I would be shocked if the IWC didn't restart reserve NIOBC this summer - you can't have a bunch of LTJG 1835's running around without having taken NIOBC yet, right?

I am still a DIRCOM applicant so I don't have a unit. I am relying on various RUMINT that I've picked up from meeting with senior 18x5's and asking them questions.

unbroken

Naval officer
Given that you tell me you're on a pause today, I would be shocked if the IWC didn't restart reserve NIOBC this summer - you can't have a bunch of LTJG 1835's running around without having taken NIOBC yet, right?

I am still a DIRCOM applicant so I don't have a unit. I am relying on various RUMINT that I've picked up from meeting with senior 18x5's and asking them questions.

One would think...then again, nothing surprises me with this bureaucracy anymore! But we are still facing a decently high mob rate (at least compared to other designators during drawdowns), so I'd have to believe they're aware they need to start pushing people through.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
One would think...then again, nothing surprises me with this bureaucracy anymore! But we are still facing a decently high mob rate (at least compared to other designators during drawdowns), so I'd have to believe they're aware they need to start pushing people through.
I will say this - for those who are fortunate to be selected this cycle, it will be a silver lining if they push through all year 1 and year 2 ensigns into the same, in-residence, ~4 week NIOBC training this summer. That would be a great opportunity for networking and cohesiveness of the JO IWC reserve cadre.

unbroken

Naval officer
I will say this - for those who are fortunate to be selected this cycle, it will be a silver lining if they push through all year 1 and year 2 ensigns into the same, in-residence, ~4 week NIOBC training this summer. That would be a great opportunity for networking and cohesiveness of the JO IWC reserve cadre.

I hate to say it, but I highly doubt that will happen. By the time your paperwork processes, the earliest you will likely commission is March -- and some will be pushed back to FY18. Then it takes a few months to get gained by a unit (my unit was really pushing my paperwork and it took 2 months; 4-5 months is not unheard of at all). If they move to an in-residence NIOBC program, it's conceivable they'd require you to do DCOIC first (as they should), which in the past they've required for reservists going the active route (I think perhaps unless you were prior service). DCOIC is usually booked a few months out. I commissioned last fall and the earliest DCOIC class I could get was this coming spring. Not to mention that there are other intel JO's who are already in the pipeline and ready to go.

I guess hope dies last, but I wouldn't hold your breath.

fieldrat

Fully Qualified 1815
it's conceivable they'd require you to do DCOIC first (as they should),
At least for CWOs, the program auth requires that DCOIC be completed within one year. COMNAVRESFORINST 1120.3 (22Dec15) states that failure to do so can result in forcibly dropping to the IRR, not being recommended for re-affiliation (basically being separated).

Your first annual training (AT) is actually specially and specifically funded for this purpose...

Yes, it takes foreverrrrrrr for the NOSC to gain you initially. I'm of the mind that no one should wait to be told that you're "gained". The moment you're in, I would start going through a checklist to get some things done, before I pop on some Chief's hit-list. If I find a few moments, I'll draft one up and post it in the gouge section.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
The moment you're in, I would start going through a checklist to get some things done, before I pop on some Chief's hit-list. If I find a few moments, I'll draft one up and post it in the gouge section.
Good gouge. Is there anything in particular which is not listed here that you think deserves to be included on someone's IWC DIRCOM checklist?