• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

days off

Status
Not open for further replies.

sonny

hey, i'm wondering if pilots/nfo's get any day off when they are on the boat. is there a day where they can rest? How many hours of sleep does one usually gets. also, is there internet service besides email on the boat, like web surfing, etc. can one bring their computer on board.

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Sonny, I honestly don't know the answer to that question. I know there have been great changes in the last few years with respect to recieving email on board surface ships, I have even sent email out to a couple of my friends on deployment, but as for "surfing the web", I don't believe that is an option yet (could be mistaken).

As for bringing your own computer, I have known many officers and enlisted crewmen on submarines that have brought their own personal laptops underway, so I doubt that it would be a problem to bring one underway on a much "larger" (in terms of cabin space) surface ship. But you have to let the ICs (is this rate still around even?) and the ETs take a look at it first, to get it checked out. Hope that at least answers part of your question.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Ok first thing. After my leave is up, I will be checking aboard the USS VALLEY FORGE and should be able to answer this question in more detail. If I have any say in it though, those damn helo pilots are gonna be up there on the bridge with me learning how to drive that ship. As far as email is concerned, I know that is definately available. However, I'm going to have to say "no" to being able to just sit around and just surf the web. Are you kidding me? I would never get my Surface Warfare pin if that was possible. I'd be like, "Uh, excuse me Skipper...I'm kind of busy here reading the Air Warriors forum." Seriously though, keep that question in mind and check back in about 2 months.

Second. The electricians/electronic techs no longer have to do electrical safety checks on the personal electronic equipment that people bring onboard. It was causing to much of a workload for our people so the Navy did away with that requirement. This is fairly new and I'm sure John is not aware of it.

Third. Yes, the Interior Communication (IC) rating is still around.

Status
Not open for further replies.