• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Data as an instrument of war

BigRed389

None

Not very related to personal user data/device data, but related to information warfare.

So thread relevant note I came across while reading “Kill Chain” - allegedly during the Ukraine/Crimea conflict a few years back, the Russians were apparently good at triangulating unit emissions to hit Ukrainian formations.

To take out a Ukrainian commander who had proven particularly annoying by practicing good EMCON, the Russians had someone call his mother posing as Ukrainian MoD to inform her her son had been a casualty.

When she called him to leave a message, when he called her back to inform her he was still unhurt, they were finally able to zero in on him and kill him.

More tactical level than the big picture stuff discussed here, but interesting.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
So thread relevant note I came across while reading “Kill Chain” - allegedly during the Ukraine/Crimea conflict a few years back, the Russians were apparently good at triangulating unit emissions to hit Ukrainian formations.

To take out a Ukrainian commander who had proven particularly annoying by practicing good EMCON, the Russians had someone call his mother posing as Ukrainian MoD to inform her her son had been a casualty.

When she called him to leave a message, when he called her back to inform her he was still unhurt, they were finally able to zero in on him and kill him.

More tactical level than the big picture stuff discussed here, but interesting.
Something that made the rounds on Reddit a few years ago:
5l9m31091qw11.jpg

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
TL;DR: PAI OSINT doesn’t require a warrant... but it’s an interesting debate of how much PAI is too PA.

I am left a little bit wary from the bare details in the article, at the very least some (external) oversight should be exercised to ensure it is all kosher and legal. Even then it is still better to keep folks, to include Congress, in the loop than to just assume all is good. Many of the activities Snowden revealed were perfectly legal but still caused an uproar, much of it unjustified, and it resulted in new laws, regulations and polices.

Cool more insults and nonsense from moderators. How lovely and mature of them and not at all hypocritical.

I'll admit I'm a bit more ornery than usual at the end of a short week but did you ever think it might not just be the mods?

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
TL;DR: China using COVID as a cover to collect DNA, says top US counterintelligence official.
CHYCAPS, having only ever known their own conformist, strict society, want to study if there is a genetic reason why so many Americans do things like drive slowly in the left lane or don't put the shopping cart back in the little corral in the parking lot... if our counterintel folks want to really mess with their heads, they ought to plant the DNA of poepleofwalmart dot com in those labs, sorta like the old days when the Russians supposedly got ahold of the bad version of the Concorde blueprints.