• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Dangerous "toy".

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
This is a Rugger 10/22 wrapped up in a nerf gun facade. It was seen on a Texas gun range by off duty police officers. It is fully functional. Keep in mind the heartbreak, uproar, and tragedy every time some kid is shot by police with a real toy gun. It happened a few weeks ago in CA. Also keep in mind it is more likely this sort of weapon is intended for other criminal purposes and not cop killing. If you carry concealed and are inclined to get involved, this is the sort of thing you have to consider.nerf gun.jpg

Last edited:

exNavyOffRec

This is a Rugger 10/22 wrapped up in a nerf gun facade. It was seen on a Texas gun range by off duty police officers. It is fully functional. Keep in mind the heartbreak, uproar, and tragedy every time some kid is shot by police with a real toy gun. It happened by a few weeks ago in CA. Also keep in mind it is more likely this sort of weapon is intended for other criminal purposes and not cop killing. If you carry concealed and are inclined to get involved, this is the sort of thing you have to consider.View attachment 13095

My concern is that some criminal just walks around with this, most wouldn't give it a second thought, then the criminal walks up to LEO and fires away.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Your MK16 next to it?
I wish. The photo came from a LE intel report. The nerf gun was on display having been confiscated. Don't know why the MK 16 was displayed. There was no mention of it in the article.

Even if not intended to assault LE, it makes a pretty ingenious way to walk around armed with a long gun and not arise any more reaction then the off handed "nerd!"

Have you heard they have "printed" a M1911 with a 3D metal printer? It functioned perfectly. None of that smooth bore one shot plastic toy crap that garnered so much press several months ago.

Sheepdip

Contributor
Upon what legal grounds did they confiscate it? Like painting the tip of a live weapon orange?

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Upon what legal grounds did they confiscate it? Like painting the tip of a live weapon orange?
Not sure. The alert I read didn't say. I just assumed it was confiscated since it is in the possession of LE and on display for training and awareness. Maybe they bought it. But given the fact the orange tip is meant to differentiate between toy and real gun maybe it is somehow illegal to disguises or conceal a real gun in that manner. I don't know federal firearms laws and regulations. Frankly, how they obtained it matters much less to me than the fact it exists and the danger it poses.

Renegade One

None
I'm curious why it was confiscated as well.
Because it's just wrong. Sorry. But see below…perhaps it wasn't "confiscated". Who knows?
... Maybe they bought it. But given the fact the orange tip is meant to differentiate between toy and real gun maybe it is somehow illegal to disguises or conceal a real gun in that manner. ...Frankly, how they obtained it matters much less to me than the fact it exists and the danger it poses.
Good points….I agree. It clearly does pose a danger…by its very design.

Look, I'm one of the many "2nd Amendment Rights" guys on this forum. A lifetime spent in competitive Navy shooting, an active "Cowboy Action Shooting (e.g., SASS)" competitor, a hunter, etc. Disguising a lethal firearm as a "toy rifle" says something…and it's not a good thing.

PropAddict

Now with even more awesome!
pilot
Contributor
Have you heard they have "printed" a M1911 with a 3D metal printer? It functioned perfectly. None of that smooth bore one shot plastic toy crap that garnered so much press several months ago.

Tip of the iceberg. I "have a friend" who has copies of the Solidworks files for all the components. The same guys made the much-hyped Warfairy configurable AR printable model. This kind of stuff is only going to keep advancing and proliferating. I see no problems with this.

The problems come when the weapons are used to commit crimes. Sure, some ne'er-do-well may have fabbed this Nerf gun for nefarious reasons, or it could as easily been an overzealous hipster who was being cheekily-ironic by taking a toy gun that's meant to simulate a real gun and make it an actual real gun. I could see it being very popular at the range, for the novelty of it.

Capability =/= intent =/= action