• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Dam Neck Lifestyle

sdgigles

I recently received an INTEL pro-rec, and I know I'm getting way ahead of myself, but I was wondering if anyone can give some perspective on what an officer can expect for a lifestyle at Dam Neck.

Any help is really appreciated.

Thanks

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I don't think Dam Neck has a "life style." It's a tiny base that's administratively run by NAS Oceana. Tons of civilians work there and things mostly close by 1700. There's a nice Navy Lodge on the beach, though which is nice in summer.

sdgigles

Thanks BigIron,
You'll have to excuse me for being a greenhorn, though what I was trying to figure out was, what will my lifestyle be like. Because its a school I'm assuming 9-5 is fairly structured, but what about living situation (wondering about the significant other), and other things like that.

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Dam Neck is on the very southern end of Virginia Beach. If you like hiking, outdoors recreation stuff, and the like there is a lot to do. Lots of state parks type areas on the shore. Also, if you want civilization closer, the whole Hampton Roads area is near with somewhere over a million folks living here. Standard malls, movie houses, shopping and the like. Like anywhere these days, real estate is a buyers market and houses, condos, rental apartments and houses are aplenty.

For your commute, I recommend you live in Virginia Beach. I live in Virginia Beach, and work in Norfolk. It takes me 45 mins to an hour each morning to get to work.

nativeofsandieg

Dam Neck is a cool little base, a lot of sand, uncrowded beaches. Have to deal with the high school morons nearby (Ocean Lakes), but VA Beach is a great place....

TrunkMonkey

Spy Navy
I don't know if the school is still like this, but I was at work a lot more than 9-5. Along the lines 5-9 some days. I second the recommendation to live in VA Beach so the long commute doesn't add to your harrassment package.
Other than that, Norfolk/VA Beach is a great place with tons of stuff to do, and relatively close to DC if there is something you want to do that is not in the area.