• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Custom build

E5B

Lineholder
pilot
Super Moderator
Ok fellas, here's the deal....I'm looking at purchasing a rifle in a 22-250 when I get back from this deployment. I had the Weatherby Vanguard Varmint Sub-MOA in mind but I recently had a custom gun maker in Texas has offer to build me anything I want at cost. He has an outstanding reputation.

So far I've asked him to build it on a Mauser action, heavy barrel (blued). Other than that I really don't know what to ask for. He told me this rifle will be limited by my imagination. I've been doing a little research online since I've never dealt with (or thought about for that matter) a custom job.

I figure Squeeze, Fly Navy and FedDoc will have some input for sure.

metro

The future of the Supply Corps
I'd recommend glass- or pillar-bedded stock, and specify as light a trigger as he can *safely* provide. That's all I ever really ask for in a rifle.

xmid

pilot
Contributor
what are you building this rifle for? Tactical/varmint shooting? Go with an A-4/5 stock or an AI chassis. You won't be dissapointed with either.

BlkPny

pilot
If you want to use a Mauser action (my favorite for custom rifles), try to find a good short action, like a Mexican Mauser or Peruvian Mauser (both manufactured in Germany), or a German K98, either small-ring or large-ring. Find an action manufactured between the wars if possible (better steel). That sort action will work fine for a 22-250 (great caliber, by the way).
Put on a 24 inch barrel, something like a Douglas or a Shilen. Pay for their top-of-the-line models. Don't bother putting open sights on it. You'll always use a scope. Use a Timney trigger, so you can adjust to suit yourself. DO NOT bed the barrell. Leave it free-floating, so if the wood moves, it won't move the barrell.
Do not try to use a fancy piece of wood for the stock. It will move in strange ways. Use a piece of DRY, AGED English walnut, with good straight grain. Put an oil finish on it, so it penetrates the wood, not just coats the wood.

Reactions: E5B

metro

The future of the Supply Corps
You wouldn't bed the barrel? Interesting opinion. I have always found bedding a bolt-action rifle makes the rifle feel a bit more substantial, and keeps me from "oscillating" as much. To each their own, though.

My AR-15 and my 10/22 are free-floated, but that's because I move around a lot more while shooting with both of those, therefore exerting more intense/varying pressure on the barrel as I move around.

E5B

Lineholder
pilot
Super Moderator
Great info fellas. This exactly what I was looking for, various opinions.

The guy is going to take pictures as he builds it and if anyone is interested I can post them on here. Should take him 6 months or so. I'm in no hurry anyway, I'll be on deployment for a while longer.

Stock color is going to be hard to decide on.

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor

BlkPny

pilot
Great info fellas. This exactly what I was looking for, various opinions.

The guy is going to take pictures as he builds it and if anyone is interested I can post them on here. Should take him 6 months or so. I'm in no hurry anyway, I'll be on deployment for a while longer.

Stock color is going to be hard to decide on.

Stock color?! Come on now. Use good wood with a good oil finish, and try to fool everyone into thinking you have some class!;)

snort

Banned
I can personally recommend the Douglas barrel on a Mauser action. I had a Remington .25-06 with that barrel and it would shoot well under 1 MOA. Fiberglass stock, glass bedded.