• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Current status on BDCP?

Lor

I can't figure out if the BDCP is suspended or not. I'm getting mixed answers. I was told by a recruiter online to check it out, but looking around on the internet, people keep saying it's suspended.

I'm going to be a Junior this fall at my college. I'm getting a technical degree. Is that too early/too late to join?

Thanks for any info!

pdntspa

Hi, Lor. I'm trying to figure out the exact same thing. The officer recruiter that I contacted informed me, today, that BDCP has been "stopped" (he didn't know why). However, I came upon a Facebook post from this past March on Commander Navy Recruiting Command (CNRC) timeline where they stated that the program is active. Since they are the source of all recruiting information, I figure they would have the most accurate information.

http://www.facebook.com/NavyRecruiting/posts/10150667602348880

As soon as I hear back from them, I'll post their response on here.

Lor

Okay, great! Glad I'm not the only one in this boat.
I'm going to try to contact an officer recruiter tomorrow in my area, so hopefully he'll have some info.

But yea, it's confusing because I was referred to it just two days ago, and I only found some posts saying it was inactive today. Some of them are from several years ago, and some are quite recent. One recruiter (non-officer, so I'm not sure how well he knew about it) said they have a board every year. So perhaps it's just a select few that get it?

Yes, please, if you find anything, post back here. I'll do the same.

exNavyOffRec

It is still active, but we are not selecting for it, the last people that were selected (in April) that fit the profile to go into it (had 6-18 months left in college) were instead told they were not going to be paid and would have spots when they graduated.

The boards were held in conjunction with all other boards, the BDCP boards were not separate.

We have been specifically told not to process any BDCP applications.

If you have a tech degree you can apply for NUPOC.

Lor

Thank you for the info!

If I haven't completed physics, could I still apply for NUPOC?
I'm about to take the second part of non-calculus based physics, but I would be willing to take the calculus based. I've already completed 2 semesters of calculus. My major is Biological Sciences with a minor in Genetics and I'm planning on getting a minor in Forensic Science. I'm not sure how well that would mesh with NUPOC? That's why I had been looking at BDCP so much.

pdntspa

Just finished a morning of phone calls. First, I called CNRC for clarification, because I assume my initial email never made it through. They stated that despite whatever I've heard, the program was still active, and I should call my local NRD for application specifics.

I finally managed to get ahold of my NRD; the gentleman that I spoke with said I could still apply for it, but like NavyOffRec stated, there are very few billets for it and it fills very quickly. Thus, I think this is why so many people say that it is "unavailable/discontinued/etc." It's easier to say that than to explain the complexities of the application process or the extremely slim chance of getting into the program. Nevertheless, whatever the cause for the prevailing misinformation, it appears [from official sources] that applications can still be submitted.

The NRD contact then walked me through a questionnaire (basic demographics, major, GPA, calculus/physics courses taken, etc.) and stated that an interviewer will review my information and contact me in several days, to discuss if I am eligible for the program. I see this as further proof that applications are still being accepted [even if only on a case-by-case basis]. Why else would they even bother with the questionnaire?

Finally, [and this is just for my situation, I realize not everyone will/can feel this way] I could not care less if I was getting paid. While I'm sure the financial benefits of the program are great, between the 9/11 GI Bill and other side jobs, I'm fortunate enough to be able to provide a respectable livelihood for my family and myself. I know that I want to re-enter the service [with my commission] upon graduation. The advance knowledge of an assured path to commissioning that BDCP offers is what I seek. Otherwise, I just have to wait until graduation, and apply directly to OCS.

exNavyOffRec

they haven't selected a person for BDCP for a few years now, but yes the program is active, it will remain active since it is easier to keep it active but not filled than cancel it and try to get it back.

They asked the questionnaire because they are looking for people for NUPOC, that is why they ask about calc/physic.

pdntspa

Thank you for the reply, NavyOffRec. You seem to have good information. I completely understand the Navy wanting to avoid the administrative costs that are associated with the elimination of a program (especially if they might want to re-implement the program at a later date).

I do have one question, however. In your first post [in this thread], you stated that:

It is still active, but we are not selecting for it, the last people that were selected (in April) that fit the profile to go into it (had 6-18 months left in college) were instead told they were not going to be paid and would have spots when they graduated...

then in your most recent post you stated:

they haven't selected a person for BDCP for a few years now, but yes the program is active, it will remain active since it is easier to keep it active but not filled than cancel it and try to get it back...

Did you mean April of another year, then? I'm not trying to poke holes in your information, here, I'm just trying to make sure I have a complete understanding of your message.

Thanks!

exNavyOffRec

I see where I worded part of that poorly. In april this year people were selected for pro rec for designators that fit the profile for BDCP (they were not specifically selected for BDCP, but for designators they applied for), but they were not put in the program, they are going to remain in an unpaid status, essentially what NRC said is that yes they could be put into BDCP but that isn't what they are getting.

It was about 2 years that people were actually specifically selected for BDCP, it was about the same time Pilot/NFO/SWO shutdown.

I would be surprised if they select anyone with a graduation date over 12 months now.

Emails from NRC have come out that have said, "we are not selecting for BDCP, don't look for them"