• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Curlup Workout

Status
Not open for further replies.

NeoCortex

Castle Law for all States!!!
pilot
I"m looking for a good workout to increase the number of Curlups that you can do. Anyone got one that they did that worked?

Crowbar

None
Well, I'll throw this out to get things started...

If you are getting ready for a PRT/PFA, then do 4 sets per day (however many times you prefer) per week. Do the first for 2 minutes and try to max it (sorry I don't know Navy standards). Then do 1 minute and shoot for 1/2 max. Follow that with 30 seconds going for 1/4 the max. Make the last set 15 seconds and by that point you should only be doing 12-13.
Then to make things interesting, the following week, go backwards. Start with the 15 second set, and work up to the 2 minute set, trying to max each set.
Once a week or so, try to find a decline bench to do this on. And occasionally do the workout with a 5 or 10 pound weight on your chest. If you're really sadistic, add the weight while on a decline and see how many you can do.

Just a suggestion, sure other people have some that worked for them and some will think my idea is cooky-talk. Good luck...

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
Doing situps on the decline did the trick for me. Start off with like 6 sets of 20 on a setting on the bench that allows you to complete the sets. Don't worry about doing large numbers of situps in a set, just worry about your form at first (back touching the ground,etc). When you start making the sets with ease, move up 5 situps per set, eventually rast the bench to the next level and start all over. When it comes time for the PRT, regular situps will seem REALLY easy!

Noze

sludge31

Amen brother...45 degree decline will boost your numbers...and you don't even have to do them everyday cause you will be sore in the lower abdomen...I only do them that way once or twice a week...broke my plateau of 72-78 and raised it to 90-92 now...the weight on the chest also works well with the decline...I just use 5 or 10 lbs...another thing...I have found that trying to do as many as possible in the first minute, followed by 15 sec rest, and then 10-15 more as quick as you can, 10 sec rest, followed by burning out until the time limit is up...can you follow that?...kind of confusing?...sorry...I do the same with my pushups...allows me to use the entire 2 minutes with short rest periods without burning out too soon...premature incapacitation...or something...haha...sludge...out

AlexFowler

I'm not a PT stud by any stretch of the imagination but situps are my niche--got 110 on my last PFA, and have gotten as many as 121 in the recent past. Here's the workout I use:

Run 4-5x/week
Lift weights 4-5x/week

Ab work 4x/week:
Day 1: 3x max sets of situps, 90 sec rest between each

Day 2: 3-4 circuits of 50 crunches (1-count), 20 bicycles (4-count), 10-15 leglifts on the Roman Chair (picture is below), 10-15 crunches with at least 100 lbs resistance (less if you can't do at least 10 reps) on ab machine (do situps on a decline bench holding a weight plate across your chest if you don't have access to one); no rest between the exercises, 2-3 min. rest between each circuit

Day 3: 3-4 circuits of 40 crunches (1-count), 25 flutter kicks (4-count), 15 bicycles (4-count), 10 hello dollys (4-count)

Day 4: Same as day 2

Here's a picture of what I call a Roman Chair, there seems to be a bunch of different names for these contraptions but whatever they're called where you are your gym will have one (there's dip bars and usually a pullup bar built in as well):
Roman_Chair.JPG

To do the leglifts you prop yourself up with your back against the back pad, with your arms on the armpads and holding on to the vertical handles so that you are in a standing position with your feet off the ground supported by your arms and back, and lift your legs up to form a 90-degree angle.

As for the "ab machine" you use on days 2 and 4, I couldn't find a good picture of it but it's basically a chair with a pad that goes a cross your chest and handles to the side, and you do crunches with an amount of resistance that you set using a pin-selector. Kinda hard to describe but if you see one you'll know what I'm talking about (maybe someone has a picture of one?). Most gyms have them but again, if yours doesn't, you can substitute decline situps holding a weight plate (heaviest weight you can do 10 reps with) across your chest.

You might not be able to do all the reps at first but keep plugging at it. Once you can do that workout make it harder by increasing the number of reps on the crunches, bicycles, and flutter kicks, doing an extra circuit, or adding more resistance on the ab machine. E-mail, IM, or PM me if you have any questions, and good luck!

everyone always says the crunches in the PFT are a gimme, but i find them the hardest for me to do. maybe because i'm short (only 5'1.5") and thus my forearm reach is not very long, making the gap i have to reach across bigger, but i feel like i should be able to do 100 in 2 minutes with no problem. everyone says it's all about form, but even then, my last PFT only yielded me 79 crunches. the crunches we do during PT are a cinch for me, but that's because no one's holding my feet and i am thus not going up as far as i have to for the real thing. do decline situps really work that well? or is there a "trick" to getting the right form? i feel as though i'm doing basically the same thing as a regular situp, and that makes getting 100 extremely hard. any suggestions?

p.s. we call it the Captain's Chair and i do three to four two-minute abs every other day with three to four sets of knee raisers and leg lifts (10-12 reps each) on the chair four days a week. this should be getting me somewhere, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.