• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Crossing the finish line... running, walking or crawling... (Reserve Retirement Process)

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Oh yeah, forgot to say I have 23 qualifying years.

Almost certainly not the R. Just ass and trash in a place that is NOT Iraq!

I don't mind the deployment as much as the pre-mob at Ft. Hood. Ft. Hood isn't SERE school, but I feel like you can see it from there. Nothing like tossing you the keys to a $15m helicopter while also saying we don't trust you to drive to the convenient store to get ice, even though our ice maker is broken and we can't fix it. LOL Also, deploying wearing David Clarks beats the hell out of 40 lbs worth of body armor, survival gear and weapons.
As a former PTAE (pre-mob trainer) I can tell you with no uncertainty that I would NEVER allow a -60 pilot to go get ice. Sure, he'll be back (in a day or so) but half the ice will have been used on Gin & Tonics, Old Fashion's, and cheap Scotch. ?

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Posting over in the "How to reinstate a commission thread" got me thinking. I'm sitting at 6700ish point and an AGR position. I have 17 years active service and I'm 55 (56 in Nov). I have had 7 periods toward reducing my minimum retirement age, so I could collect retirement at age 58 years 3 months. If I stick around flying Blackhawks, I probably won't see another deployment before retirement. I have an opportunity to possibly fly C-12s. I would definitely deploy again if I do that. That deployment would back up my retirement age to 57 years 6 months. There is an ADSO of 5 years that goes with the transition, but it hasn't been enforced in our state in recent history. We just had a guy retire after only 4 years. How many of you would jump on the C-12 opportunity, deploy, then retire?

I thought AGR was just like FTS and you would get a full time retirement? I think the key question would be is all that, including another deployment, is worth it to retire 9 months earlier?

If nothing else mattered I think flying a new aircraft doing something different would be interesting and maybe give you a few more post-retirement options if that was a consideration.

RobLyman

- hawk Pilot
pilot
None
AGR retirement is based on 20 years active. I have only 17 active, but 23 qualifying years. Beside the C-12 possibility, I have to decide between standard guard/reserve retirement at about 50% or active retirement a year later at 52.5% (or more). There are lots of variables and options here.
  • Post C-12 deployment gets me to 57 years 6 months old and minimum retirement age of 57 years 6 months (7200 points)
  • 20 active years gets me to 58 years 6 months old. (7500 points)

I could stick around until 60, but I'm not sure a 2.5% increase each year will balance out sitting in a cube making 90-100k AND collecting retirement. The break even point is pretty far down the road.

Also, I'm not going to lie. The new CRT scares me a bit. I had hardware in my ankle (2" screws) in 2012 and a torn labrum with anchors and knots tied inside my shoulder in 2016. Losing the alternate aerobic event (bicycle) could lead to serious degradation of my ankle and practicing to throw a 10 lb ball over my head/shoulders will probably result in an injury.

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
Also, I'm not going to lie. The new CRT scares me a bit. I had hardware in my ankle (2" screws) in 2012 and a torn labrum with anchors and knots tied inside my shoulder in 2016. Losing the alternate aerobic event (bicycle) could lead to serious degradation of my ankle and practicing to throw a 10 lb ball over my head/shoulders will probably result in an injury.
Can you not request a waiver for the CRT?

Sort of first world problems here, but I retired last Sept, and now I’m on a mission to get my flag!

-called PERS. After the timely response you would expect, the Raytheon contractor read off her sheet and told me that pers doesn’t handle that and that I had to contact my unit career counselor. I explained that I had retired from a flex drill unit after only nine months, and that I had never met my CO or anyone else in person, and that it was eight months since I retired. She was flummoxed (not really her fault, personally) and I said “maybe the NOSC career counselor?”
-I left a msg for the NOSC career counselor, but I haven’t heard back. I sort of get that getting some retired dude his flag might not be his top priority, so I’ll keep trying to get in touch and be as smart about the process as I can.
-I’ve asked a former NOSC xo, who said I have to request a retirement ceremony through my chain of command. I’m willing to submit the paperwork for a ceremony of zero guests, but it looks like it’s routed to the unit (not sure the CO is still there) and the NOSC. Seems pretty odd to bother them about this.

Just to clarify, I was assigned to a reserve recruiting unit for my last year, and they basically farm you out to your local recruiting district for your drills. For that reason, I got to know the two people at my NRD (both out of the Navy now) pretty well, but nobody at my command or assigned NOSC.

I keep saying “there’s got to be an easier way...” but I know I’ve fruitlessly uttered those words before in my Navy career.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
I thought AGR was just like FTS and you would get a full time retirement?

AGR is more like a multi-year MOB, with the goal of getting 20 years active. The difference is you can revert to SELRES in between the AGR stints.

PT Goodtimes

pilot
I could use a little sanity check on what PERS is telling me...I think it is all good, but would appreciate your thoughts based on your experiences:

I'm an O-4. I hit 20 good years on May 14, 2019 (I finished my courses very early in the 20th year, and went over 50 points when my anniversary rolled around). PERS verbally confirmed my point total and my 20 good years, told me congrats, you're good to go.

I had previously received, in maybe September 2018, a letter saying you're going to hit 20 years, if you get 50 points this 20th year, you'll be able to retire, you can either request continuance or request retirement. I requested retirement of June 1, 2019 (first day of month following 20 years).

When I called PERS in May just to make sure all was good, the person told me (1) you're good. you have 20 good years; (2) you'll get a Notice of Eligibility, but who knows when that will happen; (3) you'll get retirement paperwork at sometime after the NOE comes; (4) we can't tell you anything about how long it will take; but (5) you can call back, or try NSIPS. I can't get the NSIPS website to load - says internal error.

So....it's now June 2....I am going to call PERS back on Monday, but any thoughts here? I feel like I'm kind of in limbo -- I'm now past my mandatory attrition date, but have enough good years/points to retire. I'd really like PERS to give me something in writing -- and I plan to switch to Tricare Reserve Retired as soon as I can do so, so I'd like them to get moving on this (my private health plan is actually much more expensive than TRR). I also want that flag!

Thanks in advance for any advice on how to proceed. Or do I just wait and hope, wait and hope, wait and hope.

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Reading this thread depresses me how much of a pain in the ass and the complexity involved to navigate the paperwork to seek the retirement you are entitled to. Which office is the culprit? Seems like there are enough of you that have similar difficulties to maybe use an organization like MOAA to apply leverage to get this fixed.

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
Seems like there are enough of you that have similar difficulties to maybe use an organization like MOAA to apply leverage to get this fixed.
Good luck with that. They cannot fix the NOSCs or the PSDs. I do not expect them to fix the retirement paperwork issue.

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Good luck with that. They cannot fix the NOSCs or the PSDs. I do not expect them to fix the retirement paperwork issue.
The problem isn’t unsolvable. I am very aware of the short falls each of these organizations have that creates the morass of issues service members have to deal with. Whether manning, poor training, IT, incompetency and of course Byzantine layers of bureaucracy managed by civilians that create their own fiefdoms.

You can start researching and find the offices and personnel responsible for lack issues, it may take some leg work but it can be done. Then internal or external sources can be used to create leverage. I can think of a dozen ways off the top of my head. You can’t? It is also amazing what you can accomplish in person walking into some of these organizations and walking into the office of the person that runs the place.

FrankTheTank

Professional Pot Stirrer
pilot
I could use a little sanity check on what PERS is telling me...I think it is all good, but would appreciate your thoughts based on your experiences:

I'm an O-4. I hit 20 good years on May 14, 2019 (I finished my courses very early in the 20th year, and went over 50 points when my anniversary rolled around). PERS verbally confirmed my point total and my 20 good years, told me congrats, you're good to go.

I had previously received, in maybe September 2018, a letter saying you're going to hit 20 years, if you get 50 points this 20th year, you'll be able to retire, you can either request continuance or request retirement. I requested retirement of June 1, 2019 (first day of month following 20 years).

When I called PERS in May just to make sure all was good, the person told me (1) you're good. you have 20 good years; (2) you'll get a Notice of Eligibility, but who knows when that will happen; (3) you'll get retirement paperwork at sometime after the NOE comes; (4) we can't tell you anything about how long it will take; but (5) you can call back, or try NSIPS. I can't get the NSIPS website to load - says internal error.

So....it's now June 2....I am going to call PERS back on Monday, but any thoughts here? I feel like I'm kind of in limbo -- I'm now past my mandatory attrition date, but have enough good years/points to retire. I'd really like PERS to give me something in writing -- and I plan to switch to Tricare Reserve Retired as soon as I can do so, so I'd like them to get moving on this (my private health plan is actually much more expensive than TRR). I also want that flag!

Thanks in advance for any advice on how to proceed. Or do I just wait and hope, wait and hope, wait and hope.
It has been a while. I retired from the reserves in 2013. But I don’t remember any retirement paperwork. I got the same letter, and selected retire. Took a while but I got a retirement certificate and a flag in the mail and basically that was it. You’re good to go.. You can go to PSD and switch your ID too.