• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Crossing the finish line... running, walking or crawling... (Reserve Retirement Process)

It’s all about qualifying years - you need 20 total. It doesn’t matter the combination (active/reserve or officer/enlisted).

Not sure where or what the 8-10 years you heard is about.

That's what I thought as well but if you google that question it says 8/10 years, depending. I've had a few priors tell me this as well news to me today.

I can’t find the instruction, but I spent only ten seconds looking.

I believe that in order to retire at your officer pay grade, you have to do 10 years as an officer.

Subres, you’re right he can retire with 20 “good” years, but I think his pay grade reverts back to the highest enlisted rank.

subreservist

Yeah...agreed vxc...just when you think you can’t learn something new! Never knew there was law for commissioned years of service to retire at officer rank.

Squirt 59

They changed the law from 8 years to 6 years in the reserves to retire from the reserves. Meaning you cant have 18 years active and do 2 in the reserves and retire. You need your last 6 years to be in the reserves. That is written in Title 10.

Sam I am

Average looking, not a farmer.
pilot
Contributor
I recall that you needed only 3 years in rank to retire at that rank
Google, man...google. Or follow the link and search...the 3 year rule your thinking of is defined below and only pertains to pay grade for recieving retirement pay.

a. Unless entitled to a higher grade under some other provisions of law, Regular and Reserve members, who retire other than for disability, retire in the regular or Reserve grade they hold on the date of retirement. *
b. A commissioned officer who voluntarily retires after 14 Sep 1981, in a grade above major or lieutenant commander and below lieutenant general or vice admiral, must have served on active duty in that grade for not less than 3 years. (During the period 1 Oct 1990 through 30 Sep 1995, the 3-year requirement may be reduced to 2 years). The President may waive this requirement in cases of extreme hardship or exceptional or unusual circumstances.

Squirt 59

My response was in regards to someone retiring. Are you implying something different than a 3 year requirement to retire at their present rank?

taxi1

pilot
Googling...it just refers to the Army, though. Never heard of it before.

10 U.S.C. § 3911 - U.S. Code - Unannotated Title 10. Armed Forces § 3911. Twenty years or more:  regular or reserve commissioned officers

(a)  The Secretary of the Army may, upon the officer's request, retire a regular or reserve commissioned officer of the Army who has at least 20 years of service computed under section 3926 of this title, at least 10 years of which have been active service as a commissioned officer.
(b)(1)  The Secretary of Defense may authorize the Secretary of the Army, during the period specified in paragraph (2), to reduce the requirement under subsection (a) for at least 10 years of active service as a commissioned officer to a period (determined by the Secretary of the Army) of not less than eight years.
(2)  The period specified in this paragraph is the period beginning on January 7, 2011, and ending on September 30, 2018.

Sam I am

Average looking, not a farmer.
pilot
Contributor
It's official: all courses were received and the process has caught up with the paper. I'm officially at 20 years, 5 months, 10 days and just submitted my request to the retired reserves.

Official Score card:

AD: 9 years 5 months 10 days 3273
SEL Res: 5 years 0 months 0 days 563 pts
IRR: 6 years 0 months 0 days 557 pts

4393 pts.

Last edited:

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Forgot to mention it, but I got my Notice of Eligibility back in Sept. So if I really fuck away this current mob I’m on...well...what’s the worst they can do to me?

Getting my pay kicked in early for all my mobilized time will probably be another trick or two.

FlyinSpy

Mongo only pawn, in game of life...
Contributor
Forgot to mention it, but I got my Notice of Eligibility back in Sept. So if I really fuck away this current mob I’m on...well...what’s the worst they can do to me?

Getting my pay kicked in early for all my mobilized time will probably be another trick or two.
Fester, how long was it between your actual 20-year anniversary date and the time you received your Notice of Eligibility? I crossed the 20 year mark back in August, but haven't seen any NOE yet.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Fester, how long was it between your actual 20-year anniversary date and the time you received your Notice of Eligibility? I crossed the 20 year mark back in August, but haven't seen any NOE yet.

May ‘19 and i got the letter in September. I’d check your ARPR/ASOSH on BOL.

taxi1

pilot
I was notified in early January that the Navy had sent my paperwork on to DFAS (I submitted to the Navy in early June for November retire pay date, moved up a year for mobilization time). I called DFAS thinking I would get paid 1 February, they said 60 days for them to shuffle the papers around on their side.

Looking forward to 6 months of back retirement pay in that first check.