• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Cosmetic Surgery & MEPS for OCS slot

Snack Attack

Snack Attack
Contributor
I can’t find much information about Cosmetic Surgery on the site that lists medical DQ’s and other medical related conditions that might be problematic while trying to pass MEPS.

I’ve had two Cosmetic Surgeries (Rhinoplasty & Breast Reduction)

The Nose Job was purely for aesthetic purposes but since it was done out of the country over 8 years ago my Surgeon no longer holds the records for the surgery.

The Breast Reduction was to remove fat and make me more proportional since I’ve always been so heavy up top and I’m a girl with a small frame so it was a burden to carry that extra weight and it was starting to make my back ache. The surgery was done over 2 years ago and left me with 4 small scars in that area. This procedure was also done out of the country and I have some records to show that I was healthy and that no major organs were taken out, it was also cosmetic.

My recruiter knows all of this and is submitting my documents to Big Navy before I head to MEPS.
If I get to even go....

What Issues do you see arising at MEPS with these surgeries in my history?
Also, I am applying to become a Naval Officer
Selections: 1)Pilot 2)NFO 3)Supply

Do you think these surgeries will affect my ability to fly?

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
Without looking at the BUMED instruction, I can’t see how either would biologically affect your ability to do your job. I enlisted with 4x broken nose, as long as I could breathe and the septum wasn’t deviated, no problem.

As far as the reduction mammaplasty, it’s all to fatty tissue, no internal organ involvement, again, don’t see how this would interfere.

I’m not a doctor, so this opinion carries literally no weight, but there are a couple here that will chime in eventually.

If you can find the BUMED instruction and head over to the Flight Doc corner, you will find a lot of good stuff.
Pickle

exNavyOffRec

I can’t find much information about Cosmetic Surgery on the site that lists medical DQ’s and other medical related conditions that might be problematic while trying to pass MEPS.

I’ve had two Cosmetic Surgeries (Rhinoplasty & Breast Reduction)

The Nose Job was purely for aesthetic purposes but since it was done out of the country over 8 years ago my Surgeon no longer holds the records for the surgery.

The Breast Reduction was to remove fat and make me more proportional since I’ve always been so heavy up top and I’m a girl with a small frame so it was a burden to carry that extra weight and it was starting to make my back ache. The surgery was done over 2 years ago and left me with 4 small scars in that area. This procedure was also done out of the country and I have some records to show that I was healthy and that no major organs were taken out, it was also cosmetic.

My recruiter knows all of this and is submitting my documents to Big Navy before I head to MEPS.
If I get to even go....

What Issues do you see arising at MEPS with these surgeries in my history?
Also, I am applying to become a Naval Officer
Selections: 1)Pilot 2)NFO 3)Supply

Do you think these surgeries will affect my ability to fly?

The nose job could be an issue depending on what N3M wants, they could have you jump through some hoops.

The breast reduction shouldn't be an issue, I worked with 2 women who had breast reductions who wanted to join, I submitted documents and they were cleared fairly quickly, both cleared physical and 1 ended up joining (the other became pregnant).

The only thing that would concern me is the talk of back ache, but I think a decent doc would understand.

I am tempted to make a borderline inappropriate joke about breast reductions, but will refrain as you are new to the site :D

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
Horses kick you because you squeezed too hard?
Actually, first time was by a girl in high school wrestling. I went for a low ankle pick and she stepped in for a shot and I bounced my face off of her knee.
A couple off the back of a horse’s head, one off the horn of dairy cow.
No kicks