• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Correspondence Course Review

MasterBates

Have you had a problem getting on the website? Since about Wednesday night I've had a "Server Error" every time I try to go download another course.. I get to the login screen, but it goes stupid from there.

MasterBates

NAVEDTRA 14139 BASIC MATH

22 points. You can get almost 2/3 of your min for the year.. Took me about 8 hours while I was sitting at an oil well waiting on parts to arrive.

Some of it is good review, other parts are boring as fuck. I did the shit I knew, and just powered through the shit I hated (bullshit algebraic manipulations with no practical purpose in the world) and pulled off an 84.. I used my graphing calculator to get a lot of the answers faster though.

Not for the math disinclined.. I "failed" one section with a 68, but had good enough scores elsewhere to pull off an overall pass.. Much like when I took math classes in college.

MasterBates

NAVEDTRA 14318 Aviation Electrical and Electronics
9 points
First four of six sections was basic math, and basic physics. Did them with a 90% average without even looking in book.
Sections five and six were pretty standard "find the phrase in the book".

Took maybe two hours total.

I'm noticing a lot of the 'basic" level books for many ratings or general subjects have a good 1/3 to 1/2 being basic math, and basic science. Makes for an easy thing to rip through.

MasterBates

NAVEDTRA 14310 Aviation Boatswain's Mate E
Probably one of the best ones I've done.. If you ever wanted to know how the Catapults and arresting gear work, beyond the depth of the average paddles CQ brief, it's pretty interesting.

Section 1 was a standard Navy Tools/Math section. Cake.
Section 2 was Arresting Gear. Interesting. Not hard.
Section 3 was Catapults. Pretty cool. Not hard. "find the phrase" questions mostly.
Section 4 was Associated equipment and Maintenance. Okay.
Section 5 was supply system and maintenance planning. Pretty dry. NALC codes, NIINS and all sorts of other crap.. I just plowed through it, knowing that I had enough points from the other sections that I could go random numbers and still pass overall.

8 points. Worth it. Pretty interesting..

I have a 6 point one for blueprint reading downloading (I'm on about a 7800 baud modem here) and that will be my 130 points for the year.

SoulGlo987

@vxc961, @MasterBates,
Thanks for posting your reviews.

A few reviews to contribute:
Burn Casualty Management -- great points per hours of effort
Crane Rigger -- another good points per effort course
LM2500+ Gas Turbine (GT) Engine -- not that difficult if you have familiarity with GTE

SoulGlo987

I checked my ARPR today and it doesn't show my points from the current anniversary year. Anyone else having this issue? It used to show me the points I've earned for the current year with the "to date" as ------.

JPME thoughts:

I'm in my final course now, and it's really not too bad
-these things are worth 48pts a piece!
-the profs seem to make all the difference! One was HUGE on weekly discussions and participation, another seemed to phone it in but was still a stickler. The final one (joint mil ops) is awesome! Understanding if we have to turn in things late, quick to answer questions, and generally very helpful. Pm me if you'd like names or more details.
-despite everyone saying the AF is the easiest way to go, I could never get into it and like the NWC course better. It seems more like actual college, more applicable, and like it will impress more European admirals when I can discuss Frederick the great or sun tzu
-it's still tough with a job and family to have deadlines on this stuff. I've learned I can work really hard and get an a, or skim/cram and get a B. for that, it's worth it for me to play Legos with my kids each night and take the B.
-I haven't done the opord(which I hear is a bear yet), but now I'm actually hoping I can take a JPME II course after this!
-I took one break in between courses, for my sanity and to push the 48pts to my next anniversary year.

Marinenet course: Intro to the Balkans Micro-region, worth 4pts; it's actually really interesting, no proctor, and no tests (at least yet). It's got 12 modules that are actually really interesting, and each module has 10 questions which you MUST attempt, but it doesn't seem to matter if you get them right or not. I'm saving the last module to see if I need it for this anniversary year or next, but so far it seems like a clicky-clicky way to get four retirement points.

Marcus Wright

Great blog vxc961! I see the discussions ref taking MarineNet courses for Navy Reserve credit via Bupers. Has anyone yet actually verfied that we can get credit for MarineNet courses? By verified I mean they've appeared in your ASOSH? Addl'y, how can we tell how many points they are worth?
----
I'll be posting again soon with some course titles that were less onerous than others to complete.

Has anyone yet actually verfied that we can get credit for MarineNet courses? By verified I mean they've appeared in your ASOSH? Addl'y, how can we tell how many points they are worth?
Thanks MW--yup, they've shown up on my Navy ASOSH, with the same credit that the Marines recommend. I think I've really only done the 1-2 pt stuff, but I don't imagine any of the more substantial courses would be any different.

ben4prez

pilot
Still active duty, but question for the IRR crowd and completing points for retirement...

can you repeat classes year after year? I think I saw that Information Assurance training was worth 1 point somewhere...can you do that every year for an annual point? Could you repeat something like trigonometry year after year? Or does the system "know" and lock you out? If the latter, by year 18 or 19, are you scraping the barrel for "easy" points, or are you forced to endure difficult/time consuming NKO courses?

atmahan

... facility for offence.
ben4prez, there use to be a lot more non-navy related NKO courses but they all went away around 2008/9 (something about the contract with the company that provided them expiring and not being renewed). Back then, there were plenty of 1-5 point courses.

In fact, NKO continuously provides a spreadsheet of the current NKO courses that lists how many points they are worth. You can download it and sort per points to target and plan your courses.

Also, prior to the non-CAC lockout they were announcing a new and improved NKO coming out this summer (but then it was delayed), with more courses to be available (like it used to be?).

Due to the non-CAC lockout, I don't know if has come online or not.

Still active duty, but question for the IRR crowd and completing points for retirement...

can you repeat classes year after year? I think I saw that Information Assurance training was worth 1 point somewhere...can you do that every year for an annual point? Could you repeat something like trigonometry year after year? Or does the system "know" and lock you out? If the latter, by year 18 or 19, are you scraping the barrel for "easy" points, or are you forced to endure difficult/time consuming NKO courses?
Nope, you can't get credit for the same course, nor (I'm not as sure about this) can you get credit if a course is updated--it'll usually have an "a" or something suffixed at the end.

At first I worried about running out of easy courses as well. The great thing with NETC courses is that you can bank them. I'd have 35 points done on paper, then just do the data entry a day or two after my anniversary year. Doing it that way, you've got some warning if you start running out of courses. Also, as atmahan pointed out, JPME can get you three 63pt (48pt course + 15pt gratuity) years. Verify this, but you could probably do the Navy and Air Force distance programs and get six years right there.

Sam I am

Average looking, not a farmer.
pilot
Contributor
14043ABU BASIC
Builders Basics...12 Points...S-L-O-W....14 chapters with multiple choice assignments at the end. Some chapters were a breeze with only 30 questions. A few chapters had over 100 multiple choice questions. Not hard, just hunt through the material for phrase recognition, but there's a lot of material. Some chapters had 150 pages of reference text. I printed the multiple choice questions, and downloded the text in PDF format. I probably have 20 hours total time spent on the 14 chapters. If your a DIY project guy, you might actually enjoy it...not hard, just tedious.