• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Cooking decent, healthy and cheaply..

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Good eats?? Decent?? Cheap??

a.k.a. ...."The Deadliest Missile in the Inventory..."

hotdogbz3.jpg

... You know you want it ... :)

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Anything with more than 3 ingredients is too complicated for me

Albacore tuna... straight out the can... 30g+ protein per 2oz.. yeah budday!

Am I missing something? That's awfully high, considering what the labels say...

Calories in StarKist Premium Solid White Albacore Tuna
Manufactured by StarKist Foods
Nutrition Facts
Serving Size 2 oz (56.0 g)

Amount Per Serving
Calories 70Calories from Fat 9
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 1.0g2%
Cholesterol 25mg8%
Sodium 250mg10%
Total Carbohydrates 0.0g0%
Protein 15.0g

On average 1 ounce (28.3 grams) of tuna, packed in water, is 7.2 grams of protein. In oil, it varies from about 8 to 9.5 grams of protein per ounce.

whitesoxnation

pilot
Contributor
Am I missing something? That's awfully high, considering what the labels say...

Calories in StarKist Premium Solid White Albacore Tuna
Manufactured by StarKist Foods
Nutrition Facts
Serving Size 2 oz (56.0 g)

Amount Per Serving
Calories 70Calories from Fat 9
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 1.0g2%
Cholesterol 25mg8%
Sodium 250mg10%
Total Carbohydrates 0.0g0%
Protein 15.0g

On average 1 ounce (28.3 grams) of tuna, packed in water, is 7.2 grams of protein. In oil, it varies from about 8 to 9.5 grams of protein per ounce.

37g / 5 oz on the back my mistake... got about 3 different size cups in my cabinet

Still damn good bang/buck

phrogpilot73

Here's one that my wife and I rely on when we're in the mood for something QUICK, healthy, cheap and tasty. Yes, it hits all four wickets.

Tilapia goes for about $4.99/lb where I live, and frozen stir-fry veggies are $1.50 /bag - you can't beat it.

What you need:
Tilapia filet(s)
(1) Bag stir-fry veggies
Old Bay Seasoning
Garlic Salt
Butter/Margarine
Lemon
9x13 Baking pan
Tin Foil
Non-Stick Spray

How you do it:
Preheat oven to 375. Spray pan with non-stick and lay filets in. Season filets with Old Bay & Garlic Salt. Top with pat of butter and lemon slice per filet. Spread frozen veggies in free space left in pan. Cover with tin foil, put in oven. Post on AirWarriors for 25-30 minutes, pull pan out (fish should be flakey) and you now have a full meal - Fish + Veggies and it cost you about $6!

phrogpilot73

That sounds good.

Limes are a legit substitute, right? (my lime bush is about ready to pick)
I'd say so, you only taste a small hint of lemons in the fish/veggies so I don't think limes would be too bad. From the time I turned the oven on tonight, to the time my wife and I were eating was 35 minutes. No shit.

Rasczak

Marine
Hey I got another good one

Take some chicken breasts, a can of Rotello (spicy, mild, your pref) and some cheese.
Set oven to 350
Throw the chicken into a baking dish with the Rotello. Bake. After it's done, throw the cheese on there and leave in the oven for another 4-5 minutes until it's melted.
Makes for one hell of a meal.

etsgraham

If you have a crockpot, here's a yummy one...

1 lb(ish) chicken breasts
1/4 cup white wine (something you can actually drink)
carrots
onions
celery
potatoes
1 can cream of chicken soup

throw it in, turn it on low and leave for 8 hours and it's awesome. Cook rice b/c the cream of chicken and the wine make a good gravy.

Best mashed potatoes I ever had was using the red ones, milk, butter, garlic and Gouda cheese. The Gouda can be expensive, but it's great. I've also heard people put blue cheese in mashed potatoes when eating red meat.

Rasczak

Marine
And another...

Marinate deer meat in italian salad dressing for 6-8 hours, then grill it to your preference. Keeps it from going to dry.

Take a bag of the Stir-fry veggies from HEB, about 2-3 cups should be enough for a good meal, and cook em with olive oil. When they are about as soft as you like em, throw in some balsamic vinegar. Not too much because it will taste like ass. Maybe 2-3 table spoons at most. add salt and pepper to taste

KSUFLY

pilot
Does anybody know where I can get sour salt (citric acid) in South Texas. I need some for a recipe and can't find it anywhere.

Don't be afraid to mix in some Subway. They have healthy subs, and daily specials! 6" sub for $2.69. A different sub every day of the week. So, you get the healthy food at a very reasonable price. (No I'm not Jared and I don't work for Subway).

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
mumble's panty dropper mashed potaters.....
boil the little red ones till fork tender...
do a rough mash...no need to get the lumps out..
1/3 stick of butter, few big tablespoons of light sour cream...
roasted garlic cloves to taste...add a sprig of rosemary.
for the coup de grace...mix in a handful of shredded asiago cheese