• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NEWS Contract Red Air pilot rescued after ejection

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Glad he is OK. Too bad we lost a classic jet war bird. That is the second one in two years I think.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The mishap made me think of Lex. Never knew him personally, but man I miss that guy's blog.
I regret that I have but one "like" to give for this post. What a hell of a loss. That man didn't just write; he could make words freaking sing. I wonder what he'd think of the shitshow we're in these days . . .

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
Third Fleet Commander should be fired over this mishap.

Based on what? I agree with the DESRON CO potentially being let go, and possibly the above as well, but the why of the thing should be considered. While sometimes a reflexive firing can be the right decision, I'm uncomfortable with a Navy that fires people summarily for things like this without taking time to really look into the problem. I know I'm not alone. Yes someone's head should roll, but whose? What fixes the "Sleepless in SWO-land" culture and material condition problems the quickest? I know it's a broad question.

Guys talk about not wanting to be a skipper specifically because Seaman Snuffy's problem can lead to a "You're fired" before the CO even knows what happened. Something as simple as a disgruntled subordinate can ruin a career faster than anything else, even if the CO is widely viewed as a rock star leader. How many times have you heard your skipper talk about the future with the caveat "If I don't get fired before then"? Has it always been like this for Navy COs?

Last edited:

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
I regret that I have but one "like" to give for this post. What a hell of a loss. That man didn't just write; he could make words freaking sing. I wonder what he'd think of the shitshow we're in these days . . .

I agree. Lex had a way with words that was very wise. Unfortunately, not many people appreciate that anymore.

hscs

pilot
Vast majority of firings are from booze or varying levels of zipper control. I do not believe anyone has been fired for a subordinate's actions unless the CO failed to take appropriate action. CAPT Graf of COWPENS was not fired when a sailor killed a Japanese national.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Curious, what do they use the Hunters for? Simulated vampire?

Among other things. They are apparently popular with the contract companies because they are very simple to operate and maintain in addition to having longer legs, especially with tanks, than other options.

Glad he is OK. Too bad we lost a classic jet war bird. That is the second one in two years I think.

Fortunately there are plenty of Hunters left, seem to be among the most popular and numerous of the classic jets still flying.

HuggyU2

None
Fortunately there are plenty of Hunters left, seem to be among the most popular and numerous of the classic jets still flying.
While they are being used in this military-contract role, they are not common in the hands of private individuals in North America. That big engine is thirsty, and it is "a lot of jet" for the average warbird aficionado.
For G.A., the most popular jet warbirds are likely the L-39, S.211, T-33, and Jet Provosts/Strikemasters. It seems that L-29's have gotten somewhat scarce as compared to 8 years ago.