• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Contract Flying

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
There's a thread somewhere here started by either webmaster or @zippy about contract flying, but I can't find it, so starting a new thread. I figured I'd ask a few questions here which will no doubt illicit more after the responses.

For sake of this discussion, let's not focus on just OCONUS stuff, but general DoD contract flying.

- For those that have done it, how was the term of the contract written? Was it for the entire term of the DoD contract (or case) or was it for periods at a time? Like 1 year at a time?

- Obviously some of this will depend on the company, but generally, are the contracts written to lock in the employee contractor for the entire time? So if it's a 1 year contract, can you quit before that 1 year, or do you have to fulfill the whole term?

Probably more questions to follow, but let's start with this.

Pags

N/A
pilot
There's a thread somewhere here started by either webmaster or @zippy about contract flying, but I can't find it, so starting a new thread. I figured I'd ask a few questions here which will no doubt illicit more after the responses.

For sake of this discussion, let's not focus on just OCONUS stuff, but general DoD contract flying.

- For those that have done it, how was the term of the contract written? Was it for the entire term of the DoD contract (or case) or was it for periods at a time? Like 1 year at a time?

- Obviously some of this will depend on the company, but generally, are the contracts written to lock in the employee contractor for the entire time? So if it's a 1 year contract, can you quit before that 1 year, or do you have to fulfill the whole term?

Probably more questions to follow, but let's start with this.
First, I'll say I'm not a DoD CTR pilot but manage contracts on them or have funded other people's contracts with pilots on them.

A lot of these answers will likely be "it depends." Each contract will likely be unique to the work and funding situation. For instance Ive been managing a 1BY+1OY contract for the past couple of years and it's a headache to manage and I can imagine it's a bit of stressor to the individual CTR. I'm in the process of changing it to a 1BY+4OY contract but that's because I'm tired of dealing with being in a constant contract process and because the work isn't going away.

I've never heard of a contract (outside of the military) that locks an employee in to a service period. But maybe that's just because of the area I work in. If such a thing exists I'd run away from it because it sounds shady or an indicator of a crappy work environment.

After having been a CTR if I had to do it again I'd look into becoming a "company of one" and sub to the prime. It's more paperwork but more of the money comes to GatorDev LLC then to the overhead of the prime.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I've never heard of a contract (outside of the military) that locks an employee in to a service period. But maybe that's just because of the area I work in. If such a thing exists I'd run away from it because it sounds shady or an indicator of a crappy work environment.

I agree, but sometimes things aren't always written, which is part of the conversation I was trying to generate. For example, for my current job, if I left before a year, it would have been noted, and given a normal talent pool during normal times, I wouldn't work for that company again later and there's a decent possibility my name would have been passed on to other companies within the industry.

No doubt DoD CTR jobs are different in that there's such a huge number of opportunties and only so many people with the necessary skill-sets.

After having been a CTR if I had to do it again I'd look into becoming a "company of one" and sub to the prime. It's more paperwork but more of the money comes to GatorDev LLC then to the overhead of the prime.

I hear you. I'm not sure that would be as feasible with a flying contract, especially when the Prime may be providing additional thins like housing. But good point, overall.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Most of the flying jobs are six month rotations. I know two people currently flying in Afghanistan. The job they do requires a security clearance and they are flying with uniformed DoD wiz kids in the back turning dials and pushing buttons. According to them the basic rules are...

1. Don’t fly for a non-US company.
  2. Even if they demand it, never surrender your passport to your employer.
  3. You get vacation time, most guys go to Europe.
  4. If you like the work sign your next contract in country...something to do with better pay or a tax free bonus or the like.

They say CACI and Dyncorp usually hire and the pay is exceptional. Beyond that, live on base, fly, wash-rinse-repeat.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Per my annual DoD training I think that means you're being trafficked.

If that's a common practice for DoD CTRs I'd imagine it's questionably legal at best.
Yeah, I think that comment is referenced to non-DoD/foreign operators.

Pags

N/A
pilot
I agree, but sometimes things aren't always written, which is part of the conversation I was trying to generate. For example, for my current job, if I left before a year, it would have been noted, and given a normal talent pool during normal times, I wouldn't work for that company again later and there's a decent possibility my name would have been passed on to other companies within the industry.

No doubt DoD CTR jobs are different in that there's such a huge number of opportunties and only so many people with the necessary skill-sets.

I hear you. I'm not sure that would be as feasible with a flying contract, especially when the Prime may be providing additional thins like housing. But good point, overall.
I think "job hopping" is generally frowned upon within most industries (other than perhaps the oldest?) and can always give you a negative reputation within the field that could negatively impact future job prospects in that industry. Obviously more important in smaller industries but people always talk.

Pags

N/A
pilot
Yeah, I think that comment is referenced to non-DoD/foreign operators.
Gotcha and that makes sense. I'd certainly be very wary of flying for/supporting other countries' armed services as a CTR and American citizen. Id guess it might make getting a US clearance harder in the future.