• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Confessions of an A-6 Driver

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Great piece. Paco was a fellow Midshipman (a year behind me) at NROTC Boston University. We produced some amazing leaders from my unit during my time there -a Navy surgeon who reinvented battlefield trauma surgery, a woman Rear Admiral helo pilot who transformed Navy rotary wing and drove the transformation from legacy helos, and one of the most decorated Marine infantry General Officers. An amazing group of humans that I enjoyed watching come of age.

Our small urban (and urbane) NROTC unit in the heart of Boston in the 80's - when we were in an environment that still was uncomfortable with our uniforms - but our unit was tops - as good as Purdue's or Notre Dame's or Villanova's - the Navy ROTC powerhouses at the time.

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/27604/confessions-of-an-a-6-intruder-pilot

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
So who was the Rear Admiral helo pilot that transformed Navy rotary wing and drove the transformation from legacy helos? #transissohotrightnow

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Her name (and bio) sounds familiar. But curious, given your lamentations of HSC (and rotary wing, en masse), and the general lamentations of much of the HSC community, how did she transform legacy helos?

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Her name (and bio) sounds familiar. But curious, given your lamentations of HSC (and rotary wing, en masse), and the general lamentations of much of the HSC community, how did she transform legacy helos?
She was a big leader in getting the MH-60S stood up and accelerating the demise of H-3's and '46's in HC when it was still all conceptual. Nothing to do with my personal and professional feeling about the community. She had her time in the sun to move things along. In any case I was more looking back on folks who did cool/big stuff who I knew as beer drinking youngsters. Paco's article on Tylers Blog triggered the reminiscence :) We all had to start somewhere.

BarryD

Contributor
Fun read.

Allegedly an A-6 episode of the Fighter Pilot Podcast with Stephen Coontz is coming up too.

(as RLSO pointed out in the what are you listening to thread, the name is pretty cheesy but the podcast is good and has actually grown to cover a lot of cool aspects of military aviation- would recommend to other wannabes out there)

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
She was a big leader in getting the MH-60S stood up and accelerating the demise of H-3's and '46's in HC when it was still all conceptual. Nothing to do with my personal and professional feeling about the community. She had her time in the sun to move things along. In any case I was more looking back on folks who did cool/big stuff who I knew as beer drinking youngsters. Paco's article on Tylers Blog triggered the reminiscence :) We all had to start somewhere.

Gotcha. And she no doubt was hampered by the Common Cockpit debacle while trying to get Sierra up. At least the software turned out GREAT! Said no one ever.